Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was driving in the evening, the first time in the P8. I thought the headlights would come on automatically when it got dark, but they didn't, or at least I couldn't tell if they were on, so I turned them on manually using the ring on the turn signal. When I got home and parked in the garage I got out and went inside while the lights were still on as I normally did because I assumed they would go off after a minute or so as always. Three hours later my wife went to put the cat out and the headlights were still burning. They could have been on all night and drained the 12V battery. I turned them off, of course.

I tried searching the owner's manual for how to make the headlights go off automatically and the words lights, headlight, headlights, or headlamps do not result in any links related to operation or settings of the headlights. "Headlights" results only in instructions on how to wash the car. What kind of idiot wrote that manual? I gave up on finding anything on my first attempt, but a few days later tried again and finally found the section dealing with headlights. The key word is lighting. Nowhere in the section are the words headlight(s) or headlamp(s) found. More to the point, nowhere does it say whether the lights will go off automatically once the driver leaves the car with the key. On this second go-around I checked the knob on the turn signal stick. It was set on the 0 (bottom) setting. I know for a fact it had been on Auto before, but I don't know when it got turned or what it was set on when I turned on the lights manually. I might have accidentally turned the knob while using the turn signal. I know I didn't do so intentionally. There should be some kind of alarm when you exit if the lights are set to stay on until manually turned off. Can anyone tell me whether the headlights do go off automatically if they've been on during the darkness? I'm not talking about the automatic on for a few minutes whenever you exit and then automatic off. They've always turned off reliably for that. I'm talking about when they are turned on during night driving. I could test this but there's five different settings on the knob and I'd have to go drive around in the dark for each and then park it, leave, and come back twenty minutes later to see if they're still on. I already know that in at least one case they will stay on and drain forever, but I don't know what setting I was using and whether using the manual ring will override any of the settings. This should be in the manual but isn't that I can find.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
I leave mine on permanently on "AUTO".
There was one time when I was getting the Car tinted, for some reason, they changed it to the Daylight Running position instead without me noticing it. Like yourself, it was hours later where a trip to the garage surprised me that the lights were still on. Initially I had panicked and came to this Board to ask (without realizing someone had changed the position) - and someone here mentioned "Hey, perhaps check which position the knob is at.....". Sure enough, it was on the Daylight Running position. To your point though, does it shut off after X number of hours after realizing there's no key, no person, no activity except an idle position......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just put them in AUTO and leave them there, no further thinking required. The other positions are manual, so I assume you would have to manually remove them from the selected position to get them to do something else. Volvos aren’t the only one without a non-automatic headlight timer, if that is the case. Hondas would do that too.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I agree, having some chime when you leave light son and exit would be nice. Also even when setting to Auto it would be nice if some indicator would light up on the gauges to show when lights are really on. Also would be nice if the front dogs were on to stay on between starts. Anyone know if lights come on when wipers activate during rain sensing mode.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
Imageee, having some chime when you leave light son and exit would be nice. Also even when setting to Auto it would be nice if some indicator would light up on the gauges to show when lights are really on. Also would be nice if the front dogs were on to stay on between starts. Anyone know if lights come on when wipers activate during rain sensing mode.
Hmm, every car I've ever driven had the dashboard backlighting come on when the headlights (or running lights) come on. I guess this is, uh, progress?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
On a related note, and pretty minor, but it bugs me that the “parking light” icon is the only icon showing lights are on, and it is always on, day or night, if you have DRLs on. No way to tell if the actual headlights are on or not.

View attachment 1023
That has been my complaint. Our old Acura’s even in Auto would turn on the dash indicator when the lights were on and same for driving lights.

Reactions: Dogwhistle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts