Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand they operate when the windshield washer is activated. But--it also says the lamp washers operate on a timer when the headlamps are on to conserve washer fluid. Does anyone know how this works? It doesn't make sense to me for the washers to operate at night in nice weather when they're not needed. That surely would waste fluid. Does anyone know if it means that when the headlamps are on and you spray the windshield, the headlamp washer will only spray every third activation (or something similar) in order to save fluid? I've asked Volvo and all I get is a repeat of what's in the manual. One person did say she seemed to recall that's how it works, e.g. every third manual swipe with lights on washes the headlamps. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here is the official answer...

"I was advised the headlamp washers wash the headlights when the headlamps are on the first time you initiate to wash the windshield with the washer fluid sprayers. Then during that same drive cycle the washers should spray the headlights on the 5th time you pull the wiper stalk to wash the windshield. The low beam lights must be on for headlamp washers to engage."

·
Registered
7 Posts
And here is the official answer...

"I was advised the headlamp washers wash the headlights when the headlamps are on the first time you initiate to wash the windshield with the washer fluid sprayers. Then during that same drive cycle the washers should spray the headlights on the 5th time you pull the wiper stalk to wash the windshield. The low beam lights must be on for headlamp washers to engage."
Will the headlamp washer run as described when the High beams are on?

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the headlamp washer run as described when the High beams are on?
I believe so. Only because it almost doesn't make sense not to. It satisfies the headlights being on. But...that said...I'm not a Volvo representative. It took me forever to get the answer I received. I kept getting the owner's manual explanation from everyone which I read many times and didn't answer my question. It just was unclear. So you raise a good question. Again--my hunch is yes. But let us know what you uncover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I checked this function out on my 2020 XC40 R Design. Headlamp washer operates when the headlights are on low and high beam. Washers do not operate when headlights are off.

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked this function out on my 2020 XC40 R Design. Headlamp washer operates when the headlights are on low and high beam. Washers do not operate when headlights are off.
They should take your statement and substitute it for the existing manual language. Perfect. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts