Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a the protective steel grille that folds down from the ceiling to block off the cargo area. I have installed several of these in Volvos past, including just a couple months ago in our V60.

But for some reason, I'm having a **** of a time pulling the plastic trim bits off the mounting points on the XC40's ceiling. I know there are clips in there, and I'm using the same trim removal tools I just used on the other car. But for some reason they're not budging.

I don't really mind if I break these things to remove them, but the headliner is flexing and creaking around as I'm pulling, and I don't want to screw that up.

Anyone else have trouble with these and figure out the trick? Can't figure out why this is so difficult on this car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got them.
Because of the direction of the clips, you have to jimmy the trim tool from the sides (not top or bottom) and push the clips away from the center. Tough to do in this particular car because of the indentation that the mount rests in for this XC40.
I was able to get the forward side loose and then just had to wiggle and pull it to get the back side out.

Reactions: Ritchie23

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
Had mine installed by the dealer (on VC's dime). I initially thought it slipped into the slotted bracket and would be easily removed, but after I got home and saw it was bolted to the brackets. It's not easy to remove or install.

There's a similar trim piece in the headliner behind the front seats. The small cargo cage bolt does not thread into the metal bracket attached to the roof panel. Makes me wonder what accessory it's for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once I got the trim tool wiggled I’m at the right angle, I didn’t have any trouble from there on out. The installation itself isn’t difficult.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Is it usual that when we get stuff from Volvo we have to install it ourselves. I was surprised when the carpets that I ordered with the car were in the trunk awaiting me to do them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like Volvo to make a dog gate and longitudinal load divider accessory for XC40, like they do for other vehicles. Our dog is a jumper and needs something to keep her contained as the lift gate opens.

Although it is just possible that the one I have for my V60 (which is actually for the previous model V60 and not listed as compatible with mine) could fit. I did not get a chance to experiment before my XC40 had to go back to the shop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There's a similar trim piece in the headliner behind the front seats. The small cargo cage bolt does not thread into the metal bracket attached to the roof panel. Makes me wonder what accessory it's for.
The “protective steel grille,” as Volvo calls its hydraulic swing-down metal grating, isn’t meant to go in those forward accessory slots, because it would impact the safety and function of the front seats and would be dangerous as well for any passengers in the back (even while folded up).

However, Volvo also makes a soft “protective nylon net” cargo divider. This one can either be installed behind the back seats or behind the front seats (they do mention it’s meant to be used with the back seats folded flat, so it’s not intended for when there are rear seat passengers). That’s what those forward ports are for. I’m not sure if there are any other Volvo accessories designed to be used there.

I designed and 3D printed a coat hook for that slot in one of my older Volvos.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Super Moderator
260 Posts
I also got it out but I had some sore fingers. I also dropped one of the nuts down behind the trim while trying to install it. The hardware is not sold separately so totally wasted the $350 or whatever it was. I regret not having the dealer install it but nothing warned me that the design had changed and was caught by surprise when I got home with the box. Only recently have the steel grates required a ceiling mount swap. Volvo had no sympathy so I just had to eat the cost and never did buy another one.

·
Super Moderator
260 Posts
There's a similar trim piece in the headliner behind the front seats. Makes me wonder what accessory it's for.
Earlier versions could easily slide in and out and could be installed in the slots behind the front seats when the rear seats were folded down. The plastic roof mounts don’t comply with Euro regs so they switched design and made it a permanent install in the rear only.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The hardware is not sold separately so totally wasted the $350 or whatever it was.
would Volvo not help you out? If worst came to worst I guess you could fib and say it was missing. Do you ever hear it rolling around?

They do still sell a safety grille (for the XC90) that just snaps into the plastic ceiling bracket. The difference seems to be that it basically goes to the floor and also has two clips that latch to mounting points at the bottom as well. I assumed a snap-in install was only sturdy enough if it had the other two attachment points.

All the vehicles I’ve had required the bolted-in installation. Interestingly, only the XC40 required that self-threading screw (I always wondered what the 3rd hole was in the plate).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You could as above ask Volvo service to get you the part you need (if you trust and like your service department)

or you could lie snd tell them that nut is missing

Or if you are feeling really pissy at Volvo you could return it to Volvo without the nut(missing bit) then order another one from a different Volvo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts