Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Has anyone NOT had issues with the recharge?

40K views 166 replies 68 participants last post by  Greg S 
#1 ·
I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow or more likely on Wednesday of this week. I am excited about the car but I am also getting more and more worried about the car after reading this forum for the last several weeks. What am I getting myself into? A great car? An expensive headache?

I have read opinions on the car such as: no car is perfect, all have issues etc. My Toyota NEVER had any issues whatsoever. It turned on and went and turned on again etc. This car is miles away from my Toyota as far as tech, but still. Cars should be able to perform the basics: turn on, go, charge (in this case) repeat.

So, like the title says - has anyone had nothing but smooth sailing?

#153 ·
I got my MY23 with three keys. The third one is so called sporting key. Much smaller than other two. Looks like an USB stick. It's completely waterproof and without any buttons. Very convenient if you do sports, I really like it. I think the dealer mentioned that this key is given as an extra gift. But I always thought that everyone would get it. Especially as all three keys were packed into one single plastic package with slots for each one.

#157 ·
Does anyone from Australia know if Volvo advertised the 2022 model as having DAB? If so does anyone have any evidence of such advertising?
also was there any other functions advertised which were not operational in the subsequent models?
As per my posts on the previous page it would seem (in Australia) the early 2022 models had it, but the late 2022 model missed it. It then came back in the 2023 model. In the spec sheet I printed to PDF from the Volvo website when I ordered my MY22 model in Oct 2021 (which was delivered in May 2022), there is no mention of DAB. That said, there is also no mention of FM radio - but it had it.

You can work around the issue by installing one of the radio apps that can stream the DAB stations over a data connection.

#159 ·
I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow or more likely on Wednesday of this week. I am excited about the car but I am also getting more and more worried about the car after reading this forum for the last several weeks. What am I getting myself into? A great car? An expensive headache?

I have read opinions on the car such as: no car is perfect, all have issues etc. My Toyota NEVER had any issues whatsoever. It turned on and went and turned on again etc. This car is miles away from my Toyota as far as tech, but still. Cars should be able to perform the basics: turn on, go, charge (in this case) repeat.

So, like the title says - has anyone had nothing but smooth sailing?
So far (it has only been 2 weeks) we have no issues. But we moved up from an XC60 PHEV, so we knew a lot about how to operate the vehicle already. So it was much easier for us to adapt to the idiosyncrasies of the Volvo approach to EV

#165 ·
Has anyone issues had with the charging unit. I have a XC40 Recharge P8 since beginning of 2021. Never had issues and this week 2 orange light (i and turtle) went on. The garage let me know this is the charging unit and as guarantee stopped just 2 months ago the requested coulance to Volvo. They will refund 60% of the costs but still leaves me with a repaircosts of around EUR 2000. This for a car that is just over 3 years old and has 55.000 km. Sounds to me something you would not expect from a quality brand. Look forward for your feedback.

#167 ·
OK I found this in the USA warranty booklet. Unfortunately it doesn't specifically mention the onboard charger, but it does say "high voltage battery system" and says "the following are some items covered"...so maybe you could argue the charger is part of the high voltage battery system (technically it is) therefore should be covered by the 8-year HV battery system warranty.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

#166 ·
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the EV battery, high voltage components and motors are covered for 8 years/160,000 km warranty. I tried to find that detail but I can't find it. Maybe ask to see the terms and conditions of the 8 year EV systems warranty and ask them to show you the details of what components are covered in that warranty. It's possible the onboard charger is included in the warranty, but maybe not. Worth arguing the point for sure.