Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 167 Posts
I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow or more likely on Wednesday of this week. I am excited about the car but I am also getting more and more worried about the car after reading this forum for the last several weeks. What am I getting myself into? A great car? An expensive headache?

I have read opinions on the car such as: no car is perfect, all have issues etc. My Toyota NEVER had any issues whatsoever. It turned on and went and turned on again etc. This car is miles away from my Toyota as far as tech, but still. Cars should be able to perform the basics: turn on, go, charge (in this case) repeat.

So, like the title says - has anyone had nothing but smooth sailing?
Except for having to replace an axle two weeks after purchase -- for which I was well compensated by Volvo -- totally smooth sailing. No infotainment issues, no software issues, just a great driving experience every time I get behind the wheel. The only drawback is when we use our 14-year-old Toyota 4Runner to go to our remote mountain place with the bone-jarring final few miles that I don't want to inflict on my P8, well it just seems so outmoded, much as I admire how it has performed through 223,000 miles. The P8 is our first electric car, so I have nothing to compare it to, but based on my experience I would buy it again in a heartbeat. And I'm starting to think that when the 4Runner goes belly up, a Rivian with the 14-inch clearance might be just the ticket for our winter mountain driving.

I agree with the premium price with one caveat. Volvo sells cars with more Bhp for higher prices. At 402 our price my be in line with their pricing. I am sure they will come out with a single motor version(s) some time and they will be cheaper.

It feels like cost = base model cost + features + bhp

I heart my 402

Plus I really really did not want an ice. Their were less choices in March than there will be in the future.

Reactions: He Keith
Knock on wood…… No issues with mine other than not being able to connect with my home’s wifi and a few minor strange gremlin/bugs that happened once and never again.

Will I buy it again? Yes, in a heartbeat and even sooner.

Like any big purchase, do your research, consider the pros and cons, then hope for the best.

My XC40 has been 99.99% perfect. I did have to let it deep sleep once to reconnect the LTE and GPS module. However, other than that, it has been perfect for almost 4000 miles over 6 months. No issues charging, plenty of power, and perfect amount of space. The 1.7 OTA even went perfectly. I would not change this car for any other EV at the moment. Something no one really mentions - this is the easiest car I have ever owned to parallel park. The combination of length and height make it a real breeze!

Reactions: arijaycomet
Before you leave the dealership:
  • make sure the Volvo Cars app is paired and working with the phone of every driver
  • make sure you have all three keys
  • make sure OS update 1.7 is installed
  • make sure they deliver the car with a decent state of charge
  • go over the interior controls in detail, every knob, lever and button
  • get specific instructions on how to reset the modem and the entertainment unit

I think you will like the car, but there is an adjustment period for first-time EV buyers, in my experience.
My dealer followed up two weeks after I took delivery to see whether I had any questions.

I have been fortunate in not having any serious problems in 6 months of ownership. As others have said, mechanically the car is well built, but the technology, especially the Android Automotive OS, is half-baked. VC just started over-the-air software updates. VC is being very conservative in its OTA implementation. As someone in another discussion stated, VC is going to have to step up its game with AAOS soon as the XC60 PHEV starts rolling out with AAOS.

My XC40 P8 experience has been very positive. The only dealer service I've required was a USB-C port that had come loose & needed to be re-attached. But nothing's perfect. For me, the main negatives have been:

1) the slow rollout of their software-update platform

2) the continuing instability of the VC app infrastructure (it now works about 95% of the time for me, a vast improvement over 0% for the first couple months), and

3) the lack of key apps (CarPlay) and entire app-store categories (so far, just 3rd-party Media apps - no Messaging, Parking, Charging, or Navigation apps).

But I was warned up front about all three. Back in April when I picked up my P8, my dealer had me sign a document acknowledging this stuff wasn't ready.

I wonder if they are still making folks sign the list of things that are not implemented or fully stable yet.

I was actually impressed they got us to sign the list. I felt it was transparent as to where the car was and mentally prepared me for things not working/being present.

It is partly why when we are here 6-7 months later and there are still missing bits (car play) and an unstable (voc) that I am not concerned or down on Volvo for it.

If I remember right some of the things on the list were not due until 2022. We are only in month 7 of the release.

Anyone gotten a car recently and had a list to sign?
If so what was on it and what were the dates.

For those who signed the original list does anyone have access to it to take a pic. Mine got stolen when the car got broken into on week one.

Cheers

I wonder if they are still making folks sign the list of things that are not implemented or fully stable yet.

I was actually impressed they got us to sign the list. I felt it was transparent as to where the car was and mentally prepared me for things not working/being present.

It is partly why when we are here 6-7 months later and there are still missing bits (car play) and an unstable (voc) that I am not concerned or down on Volvo for it.

If I remember right some of the things on the list were not due until 2022. We are only in month 7 of the release.

For those who signed the original list does anyone have access to it to take a pic. Mine got stolen when the car got broken into on week one.

Cheers
That list is is new to me. I was not asked to sign anything.

Reactions: Ces

Cheers
I took delivery in May and never had to sign "your car is half baked" disclosure.

That list is is new to me. I was not asked to sign anything.
Took delivery in July, nothing to sign or mentioned about things not done. I had already learned what was on the future roadmap from forums though.

View attachment 1653

This is the document that @SeattleCat is referring to-- I trimmed the bottom to hide our names/signatures; shown here is just the top 2/3rds of the doc. But you get the idea.
That was not presented to me while I was signing the purchase paperwork.
I wonder if that was a miss from the dealer.

That was not presented to me while I was signing the purchase paperwork.
I wonder if that was a miss from the dealer.
Did you get an orange key? My understanding is that they actually changed the keys around. So at this point v1.7 actually solves MOST of these issues other than CarPlay, they've updated the web site/propoganda to show 2022 for the AA/ACP features too-- so I think its no longer a legal issue, which is what was prompting the signatures. Now that all the data shows "coming later" it matches enough to not need to have people sign stuff. I think somewhere in Q3 this change and updates negated the need for this document.

Did you get an orange key? My understanding is that they actually changed the keys around. So at this point v1.7 actually solves MOST of these issues other than CarPlay, they've updated the web site/propoganda to show 2022 for the AA/ACP features too-- so I think its no longer a legal issue, which is what was prompting the signatures. Now that all the data shows "coming later" it matches enough to not need to have people sign stuff. I think somewhere in Q3 this change and updates negated the need for this document.
Yes. They gave me an orange and black key.

I’ve also had zero complaints. Worst thing is that the car’s Spotify connection is slow to start up. It’ll play what I was playing before, but if I want to change playlists I have to wait a minute or two. No biggie.

View attachment 1653

This is the document that @SeattleCat is referring to-- I trimmed the bottom to hide our names/signatures; shown here is just the top 2/3rds of the doc. But you get the idea.
That document explains my good attitude. Per the document they were on time (ish) or ahead of time (ish). Goes to show how low expectations are the secret to happiness sometimes :p

Thanks aj. Was starting to think I had imagined it.

I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow or more likely on Wednesday of this week. I am excited about the car but I am also getting more and more worried about the car after reading this forum for the last several weeks. What am I getting myself into? A great car? An expensive headache?

I have read opinions on the car such as: no car is perfect, all have issues etc. My Toyota NEVER had any issues whatsoever. It turned on and went and turned on again etc. This car is miles away from my Toyota as far as tech, but still. Cars should be able to perform the basics: turn on, go, charge (in this case) repeat.

Hi - I have had mine or three months (1,800 Miles) with no issues! My previous XC60 P8 had lots of issues and was swapped out by Volvo (Lemon Law). It has not disappointed me yet. BTW - WeatherTech has now started to ship their fabulous All Weather Mats for the XC40 Recharge. I got mine on Saturday. Hooray!

No problems here. Love our Recharge!

21 - 40 of 167 Posts