Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Has anyone NOT had issues with the recharge?

40K views 166 replies 68 participants last post by  Greg S 
Same as @xc40canada above—- 6 months, 10,250 miles — only issue is that we’ve had intermittent times the LTE signal drops. Offline maps seem to work fine, so other than losing Spotify streaming or google voice searches for destinations (vs manual entry of an address) — its been a very solid reliable car. At the core the car itself is great, drives great, and is wonderful.

In comparison, ALL of our Tesla vehicles were in for “warranty coverage” repairs (control modules, etc) that would fail within the first 3-9 months. Normally any Tesla we had was in the shop 2-3 times per year on Average. Our Audi eTron EV SUV had freezing/locking issues with the center display, needed weekly rebooted. Really the most reliable EV we’ve owned was the Mini Cooper SE and the Nissan Leaf (1st gen). But, as cars advance, the glitches tend to be in the infotainment system, never the drive units/etc.

you’ll be fine; and you’ll love the XC40, i bet!

Pretty sad that a new car should be in the shop 2-3 times a year/ I have owned many cars and most were never in the shop except for maintenance and only 1 or 2 had minor issue that was resolved in 1 visit.

I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow or more likely on Wednesday of this week. I am excited about the car but I am also getting more and more worried about the car after reading this forum for the last several weeks. What am I getting myself into? A great car? An expensive headache?

I have read opinions on the car such as: no car is perfect, all have issues etc. My Toyota NEVER had any issues whatsoever. It turned on and went and turned on again etc. This car is miles away from my Toyota as far as tech, but still. Cars should be able to perform the basics: turn on, go, charge (in this case) repeat.

So, like the title says - has anyone had nothing but smooth sailing?

Being one of the few on here that as not gone a month without the car being in the shop since purchase in late May, I will say that you just need to be prepared for potential bugs and issues. So far a few have had some HVAC mechanical issues, but that seems to be early build cars. The biggest issue seems to be the IHU that may stat locking up or failing which will require replacement. I believe I have seen at least one person with a 22 have it fail as well. Overall mechanically a very solid car, other than IHU and brakes. Software bugs seem to be something we are all going to have to accept with this car. I suspect as Volvo rolls the Google OS out to the other models they will have similar bugs regardless if EV or ICE.

You need to decide if these are things you are will to live with. If I did not have the P8 I would say no and run away, but once you own it and drive it the car is a dream to drive. That is why I have been so conflicted. My car has been in shop 36 days in 5 months. I can easily send in lemon law paperwork and have them buy the car back. My issue is there is nothing else I want to drive. None of the other EVs out appeal to me except the Q4, and it has horrible color choices and VW has had some mechanical issues with their platform. I dread thinking about going back to ICE so for now I hang in there. That said if my ceramic pads stick to the rotors like the factory pads did the paperwork will be sent in.

I wonder whether the price will drop once the government subsidy goes away.

Market demand will dictate that. If you look at GM the revised Bolt came with a lower price point and they were heavily discounting the previous one once the tax credit went away. It will depend on the competition, and supply and demand. GM has not tax credit yet the Lyric sold out in 19 minutes. I do feel the tax credit puts early adopter manufacturers at a disadvantage. You could argue that as they sell more cars they get the cost efficiencies to get the price lower, but battery packs are a huge cost. Personally I think the credit needs to go to more than 200K cars and then at some point the credit needs to go away for everyone, this if you don't jump in early you lose the credit advantage it brings to your cars. Maybe $7500 for 500K cars then $3K for next 250K cars and then dump the credit for everyone in 2025-2027 time frame. At some point the tech has to stand on its own. I think some manufactures are inflating the price because they know the buyer will get a$7500 back. The XC40 P8 is disproportionally higher than the T5 comparable, even after $7500 you are still paying at $3-5K premium for it. T5 tops out around $48K, P8 around $61K comparably equipped.

I wonder if they are still making folks sign the list of things that are not implemented or fully stable yet.

I was actually impressed they got us to sign the list. I felt it was transparent as to where the car was and mentally prepared me for things not working/being present.

It is partly why when we are here 6-7 months later and there are still missing bits (car play) and an unstable (voc) that I am not concerned or down on Volvo for it.

If I remember right some of the things on the list were not due until 2022. We are only in month 7 of the release.

Anyone gotten a car recently and had a list to sign?
If so what was on it and what were the dates.

For those who signed the original list does anyone have access to it to take a pic. Mine got stolen when the car got broken into on week one.

Cheers
I took delivery in May and never had to sign "your car is half baked" disclosure.

So my 21 XC40 had some issue, Volvo swapped it for my new C40, the wife's 22 XC40 Recharge has so far been flawless coming up on 4 months, but only 1200 miles.