Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Has anyone figured out how to get the XC40 to talk to a garage door

9K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  MissB 
#1 ·
I guess I just expected it would be an obvious setting but either I’m blind or I’m just lost. Any tips?

#2 ·
I did it the same way as my other Volvo's. First, have a remote pair to your car by pressing the open button and one of the keys under the mirror simultaneously, and then press the learn button on the garage door opener and press the button you chose under the mirror.

#5 ·
We had a similar problem - the previous owners of our house didn't leave us a remote at all! Fortunately, there are universal remotes out there than can be paired to a learning (rolling security code) garage door opener, without the original remote. This one worked with my LiftMaster door opener, not sure if it works with every brand:
KLIK3U-BK2 | Original Clicker® Black Universal Garage Door Remote | Chamberlain

I used this universal remote for step #1 in setting up the XC40 homelink buttons.

#4 · (Edited)
The XC40 user manual is a bit confusing on this point. I had to do BOTH steps for Homelink pairing:

1) hold the garage door remote very close while pressing desired Homelink button
AND ALSO
2) press "Learn" button on opener, then within 30 seconds run back to car & press desired homelink button.

The manual implies you can just do step #2 if you know you have a door opener with rolling security codes (eg, if step #1 fails). That's how it worked on my older cars.

Don't know the details - but my guess is maybe since newer Homelink buttons can perform many tasks, step #1 is required to tell Homelink that it's going to be used as a "Garage Door Opener" (as opposed to light switch, gate switch, security alarm disable, etc)? EDIT: or maybe it's just an extra security step.

#17 ·
I have the advanced package, so that’s good to know. Thanks. I couldn’t find which package it was supposed to be a part of. The only thing I don’t have is the protection package premier (I have the protection package) and it’s not listed under that.

#22 ·
Weird - if you have the advance package it should have homelink - perhaps a manufacturing error - you will have to talk to the the dealer and see if they can order the correct panel to install on the underside of the mirror.

#24 ·
I found parts of the instructions confusing. I finally got got it to work on the 3rd try.
This is the 5th car I've owned with HomeLink. The only car that I found easy to link to a garage door opener is the Tesla Model S, that I also currently own.

Tesla incorporates the HomeLink setup into the car's overall software. Just press the Homelink setup on the main screen, click the opener in front of the headlight, press the "learn" button on the door opener and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.