Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post to the forum. I Picked up my Recharge about a week ago and have been loving it so far. Knock on wood, I haven't seen any of the issues others have reported so far.

One thing I was wondering is if anyone has camped out in their XC40 Recharge yet? I know Tesla's have a camping mode which leaves climate controls on, wasn't sure if XC40's did something similar.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Do you mean calling in a tent with the car nearby or do you mean sleeping in the car itself?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Haven’t tried camping in it, but my understanding is the climate controls will turn off after a bit if no one is in the driver’s seat. Not sure the exact timing, but it’s short (think 15 mins, not 5 hrs).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You can leave a bag / even a folded coat on the front chair will leave the car awake and the ac on.

Reactions: goatsweater

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My light jacket keeps the car thinking I am sitting in it ….

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you turn on "Climate" from the Volvo Cars app - doesn't that just keep running until you either turn it off or start driving? Granted, you don't get a choice of temperature (currently just 72° I believe). And if you're camping in a remote area, you might not have cellular so this may not even be an option. But might be worth trying.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you turn on "Climate" from the Volvo Cars app - doesn't that just keep running until you either turn it off or start driving? Granted, you don't get a choice of temperature (currently just 72° I believe). And if you're camping in a remote area, you might not have cellular so this may not even be an option. But might be worth trying.
From the app - it is on a 30 minute timer - so that would not work for a whole night.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What well snd said it’s only 30 mins :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe you could use something like this: Luno Car Window Screens

My understanding is that this company makes fantastic car camping kit (including inflatable beds taylored to specific vehicles, but XC40 not one of them yet). I was thinking about getting a pair of the inflatable beds for our V60, but ultimately decided that we like our tent.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sure about that? I started mine remotely an hour ago and it's still running. The "timer" I think is just a prediction of when it will reach the target temperature, not when it will shut off.
Hmmm … now I’m not sure whether it actually stops running after 30 min or not. The VC app seems confused after remote-starting the Climate. Even hours later the car image still shows the “red” interior zone, indicating its in heat mode. And the climate button says “STOP” which would also indicate it’s running. But the Climate status says “Not Running”. Puzzling…

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe you could use something like this: Luno Car Window Screens

My understanding is that this company makes fantastic car camping kit (including inflatable beds taylored to specific vehicles, but XC40 not one of them yet). I was thinking about getting a pair of the inflatable beds for our V60, but ultimately decided that we like our tent.
Thanks for sharing that. I will have to check them out!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I will have to check them out!
Here's a photo someone (not me) posted in another forum — you can see those Luno shade screens on the back. I would think it would help a lot as long as it wasn't swelteringly hot or freezing cold at night while you were in there sleeping. Block the bugs, and let the humidity and stale air ventilate from the car.

photo: VeeXCee on Swedespeed

Reactions: jasdata

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Serendipitously I saw an article on roof tents yesterday. Not sure if I like or hate the idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven’t tried camping in it, but my understanding is the climate controls will turn off after a bit if no one is in the driver’s seat. Not sure the exact timing, but it’s short (think 15 mins, not 5 hrs).
My climate controls turn off immediately once you lift up from the seat.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Roof tents are a trendy abomination. The only reason to have one is if you're in grizzly country and your face is smeared with bacon fat.
And the bears in that country cannot climb?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts