Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my P8 on Sunday and took one look at the frunk and thought, this is small, can I make this a little bigger?

The answer is yes, a little.

The styrofoam tray is held in by two screws. I removed the screws and the foam tray and liner and put them on the shelf.

I relocated the tire slime, pump and tow hook to the cavity under the trunk floor next to the jack along with all of my road supplies.

Looks nice and clean now.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How many inches did you gain removing it? Yes I could measure my car but it’s a ways away at the moment :)

cheers

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
87 Posts
Thank you. This will happen post haste. BTW, too bad Volvo did not put an electric lock on the Frunk as Tesla does. Then when you approach the car you could open it. We usually do a Costco "run" with my Tesla X and people stop and stare when I pop open the Frunk to put the groceries in there.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think a temporary spare tire would fit in there?
Not from just removing the foam tray. I haven't tried removing the entire liner yet. I suspect that my curiosity will get the best of me and I will remove that to take a peak at some point.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I LIKE IT! I need to take another look....all I did was removed the "divider", placed a heavy duty towel over it, and placed bottles of water and bug out bag. I DID not explore further everything underneath beyond that.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
Here's what it looks like underneath the plastic covering.
Interesting!!! Thanks for sharing.

The perspective makes it look like there'd be no room for the "Frunk", so now I'm going to have to have a look for myself, which I've intended to do and never gotten around to.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Thunder Grey
47 Posts
Interesting!!! Thanks for sharing.

The perspective makes it look like there'd be no room for the "Frunk", so now I'm going to have to have a look for myself, which I've intended to do and never gotten around to.
Yeah, it's not the best angle. It was sent to me by my service rep as they tear apart my P8 trying to get my AC working- I haven't actually seen it in person.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There's a bit more coolant hose than I'd like to see, but it's better than the Mach-E.

The mach-e you tube tear down was scary. So many hoses. As yiu said though this is more complex than I had hoped/dreamt. I wonder what a Tesla looks like on its latest versions?

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
142 Posts
The mach-e you tube tear down was scary. So many hoses. As yiu said though this is more complex than I had hoped/dreamt. I wonder what a Tesla looks like on its latest versions?
Pretty clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if the Polestar 2 frunk is the same shape as xc40 P8? I have a few PS2 "flat floor" trays at work.. but I haven't taken delivery of my xc40 yet to test fit it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wish we had an electric release for the frunk, it's all but useless aside from holding the jack, emergency supplies up there. Read up on it, they put the divider up front as there is no emergency release tab and a child could easily get trapped.

·
Registered
328 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts