Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an experiment, I let my RDesign come to a stop based on the sensors. The vehicle stopped... by braking much too hard much, IMHO, too late. Is there some way to have something less than "lead foot on brakes" stopping?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well! That answers that! :)

·
167 Posts
Using your steering wheel function buttons to set the Adaptive Cruise Control to allow a greater distance between vehicles helps (but then it allows a lot of room between cars while you're moving). It will also start and stop more aggressively depending on the drive mode setting you've selected (Econ/Comfort/etc). I've also discovered that the computer seems to be able to apply the brakes in a pretty effective way so that it seems like it's going to be slamming on them, but ultimately comes to a fairly smooth stop. On Chicago expressways, I'm happy that it brakes somewhat aggressively, because if it started too early, cars would sneak in front of you causing you to really have to brake hard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried extending the separation. As you say, the gap is a little on the long side. I explored the question out of curiosity, and was surprised by the result.

I avoid city driving as much as possible. Using adaptive speed in that setting would be ...um... ill-advised anyway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The autobraking has saved me twice. Believe me, I could not have reacted the way the car did. And yes, it is a slam because it needed it. Once at an intersection an oncoming car made a turn instead of yielding to straight traffic. The Volvo stopped with maybe two inches to spare before the other car cleared. Again, I could not have reacted the way the computer did. So yeah... a little rough but I am glad I have it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In an "oh s***" moment, the goal is "don't get hit". A soft cushy stop isn't even on my list of expectations. Being around to write posts winging about stops is. LOL

Reactions: Watson58
1 - 7 of 7 Posts