Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If its raining out I suggest you go get in your car and drive out and sit for a bit. The car sounds fantastic in the rain. The soft piter pater of the drops is lovely on the moon roof and reminds me of camping as a kid. And unlike Volvo’s earlier models when you open the door the roof does not dump all the water on you :)

Another happy is to see how long you can go with only using free charging :) my gym has free charging, alas it is only level 2 so 6-7K/hour but it adds up if one does 5 days a week for 2-3 hours (working on getting back to 3 hours after the covid year of not going). I need to research other shops that have free charging. Not that it matters but it is a fun game :)

I am also playing the visit every charging station around game, I need to work on that one as I have been obsessed with level 3 fast chargers :)

Anyways if you have happies re your P8 add a reply, if they are things others can also do even better :)

Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
If its raining out I suggest you go get in your car and drive out and sit for a bit. The car sounds fantastic in the rain. The soft piter pater of the drops is lovely on the moon roof and reminds me of camping as a kid. And unlike Volvo’s earlier models when you open the door the roof does not dump all the water on you :)

Another happy is to see how long you can go with only using free charging :) my gym has free charging, alas it is only level 2 so 6-7K/hour but it adds up if one does 5 days a week for 2-3 hours (working on getting back to 3 hours after the covid year of not going). I need to research other shops that have free charging. Not that it matters but it is a fun game :)

I am also playing the visit every charging station around game, I need to work on that one as I have been obsessed with level 3 fast chargers :)

Anyways if you have happies re your P8 add a reply, if they are things others can also do even better :)

Cheers
I'm happy to be doing a bit to fight the climate crisis. Our home has been almost 100% solar since 2007, but this is more fun.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Happy of.....
  • Rain or shine, car is 90% charged every morning...
  • Spacious room in trunk for furry baby...
  • On a nice day when traveling 35-45 mph range its quiet, open the sunroof....fresh air and birds chirping
  • Lane merging (...you signal as you're trying to pick up speed on rmP, they clearly SEE you from highway but somehow they ALWAYS PURPOSEFULLY hit the gas as if FOMO, causing you to slow down when merging hoping no one hits you, suicide ramps with short run-way to merge, 18-wheelers driving like maniacs at high speed but your car is not fast enough to pass it comfortably, sudden road merge due to road construction but no one kind enough to allow the other cars to get in line - NOT NICE...... all these are now GONE....Hit the pedal and BYE-BYE
  • Google map ! Brilliant ! Love the simplicity of dashboard (I set mine where it's blank in middle) and when direction is on, it simply shows the Mileage and arrows for the next turn while you still have the choice to turn on/off the voice guidance -- Precise, Simple....
-- Temperature changes through Google while driving...
  • Given all the battery weight at the bottom, it grips to the ground even better than I'd imagined considering its tall
  • The bending lights (more than my previous Audi) and magic high-beams....priceless
  • Favourites on Phone syncs up to Infosys, just touch screen to make a call (previously had to select/dial to Favourites, then select/dial to contact person, then press knob to make the call.....too many steps
  • Several small LEDs in the trunk area, bright enough to see.....unlike previous sedan, ONE dimmer it's like a mini scavenger hunt in the dark when trying to ensure all grocery items have been picked up from trunk...
  • Not many Volvos on the road to begin with (compared to BMW, Lexus, Audi, Benz.....).... there's a sense of "exclusivity" especially an EV

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am enjoying learning NOT to put my foot all the way down on the “gas”.

What is the modern name for the gas pedal?
Even accelerator is wrong as it speeds you up and slows you down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What is the modern name for the gas pedal?
Even accelerator is wrong as it speeds you up and slows you down.
At first I was with you and thought deeply about what the operator foot motor controller input device might be called, but then I realized accelerator is correct.

Even in ICE vehicles the accelerator functions in essentially the same way. If you want to speed up (positive acceleration) then you press down further, you can maintain speed (zero acceleration) with lighter pressure adjusting for speed and grade, finally you can coast (gradually slow via negative acceleration) by removing your foot from the pedal. However, this is a side effect of automatic transmissions. Many people have already made the comparison between one pedal driving and engine braking with a manual transmission. With a manual transmission, reducing input on the accelerator pedal would slow you down unless you simultaneously provided more positive input on the clutch pedal.

So accelerator should be fine.

Otherwise we are stuck with foot operated motor controller which isn't correct either.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Additionally happy things.....
  • Seamless transition for 1st time EV owners (moi) - there's a high level of familiarity with physical vents, knobs, turn signals, wiper controls etc..... not as "intimidating or foreign" when compared to say TSLA
  • Commanding sitting position with great line of sight, provides a sense of comfort that you can "see" better
  • Weight and stature of car....although deemed "boxie" or "built like a tank".... it absolutely gives me a sense of better handling and stability when passing between 18-wheelers on both sides on heavy traffic days where every car seems to be flying down the freeway. I don't feel the car "rocking" in that scenario. I live by the airport and SEVERAL AMZN fulfillment centers where these trucks are flying by 24/7. Love the weight of the car to stand its course - not easily swayed.
  • LOVE the 2 slot "card inserts"..... I always, always forget or misplace my work badge so end up getting stuck outside the building, or having to depend on others to get through doors inside the building, or harassing Facilities to make a temp badge....the inconvenience of the little things in life ! ....now it's a habit to stick the badge in, it's always "there".

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
  • LOVE the 2 slot "card inserts"..... I always, always forget or misplace my work badge so end up getting stuck outside the building, or having to depend on others to get through doors inside the building, or harassing Facilities to make a temp badge....the inconvenience of the little things in life ! ....now it's a habit to stick the badge in, it's always "there".
Whoa, what? I'm always discovering new little things in the car but I'm not sure what you're referring to on that one. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Whoa, what? I'm always discovering new little things in the car but I'm not sure what you're referring to on that one. :)
Oh its on the bottom left of Driver's side where the Dimmer and Trunk opener is. If you look carefully, it's as "simple" as TWO cut outs just enough to slide in credit card size cards

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
Oh its on the bottom left of Driver's side where the Dimmer and Trunk opener is. If you look carefully, it's as "simple" as TWO cut outs just enough to slide in credit card size cards
Ha, that's pretty nifty, another thing I didn't see. I gotta say, though, I'd be nervous leaving anything security related in the car if you park it in public with the card(s) in the slots.

Otherwise speaking, I am enjoying this discovery of new European/Swedish "features", never having been around a Volvo before. My cars have always been Toyota/Subaru/Mazda to this point and they all seem to share conventions for the most part. So finding little things about the Volvo has been fun.

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found another spiffy feature which maybe everyone else already knows but it you push the hatch open button again at any point during its arc it will freeze in place.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found another spiffy feature which maybe everyone else already knows but it you push the hatch open button again at any point during its arc it will freeze in place.
There is another feature that I haven't tried yet but I was concerned about so I looked up. Apparently if you stop the hatch and then hold the button it will set that as the new opening limit.

I was concerned I would need to keep the hatch from opening completely inside the garage. I do not have this issue so I've never needed to set this. I imagine it would be useful of you had something long on the roof.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I 'd accidentally found that out the second day when the fur baby was in there, but the automated noise scared him so as it was coming down, he was trying to get out of it.....i didn't want the arc to crush him so in a mere panic second, i just pressed any button there....and it stopped. So I'd found out there are two options to stop the arc (i) button (ii) stop with your hand...once it feels pressure, it stops (iii) I believe it also stops if it senses anything in its path..... i just couldn't risk the baby's tail being crushed, so I'd push him to the back or ask him to lay down, push the button and wait till its completely shut before i walk away

·
Registered
691 Posts
There is another feature that I haven't tried yet but I was concerned about so I looked up. Apparently if you stop the hatch and then hold the button it will set that as the new opening limit.

I was concerned I would need to keep the hatch from opening completely inside the garage. I do not have this issue so I've never needed to set this. I imagine it would be useful of you had something long on the roof.
Yes, that's correct - I'd seen it on YouTube with EU early adopters. Press once for hatch to come down, once at desired height, press and hold again, the arch remains at that position. Press again, it resumes its way down to shut completely

·
Registered
691 Posts
Firstly, I like the title of "Happy Thread of P8 Things" - it's such a constant reminder of what a great product it already is albeit "noises" simply human nature.
This morning on way to work.....
1) 4 lane highway, with AMZN 18-wheeler coming in hot from the ramp at high speed on my right (and it couldn't be bothered whether you speed up or down to yield....he just knows you would get out of his way!)...so I'd signaled to move one lane over to my left....and OF COURSE, as soon as i signaled, the Car on my left decided to freakin' gas it a hair behind me, the blind spot blinker came on.....for a second I was going to be pinned between the truck and car who refuse to yield to me, but the car couldn't accelerate any faster to pass me either........ it literally was as easy as STEP THE PEDAL and the P8 FLEW (even from 75 mph) and left them both in the dust....... otherwise would have been SOOooo pinned up at high speed .... THIS is where I LOVE the P8... in real life, the 0 - 60 is of course impressive, but what gives me the comfort and ease of mind on everyday driving is instances like that!

2) Then a few miles up....at a traffic light on service road turning into a 45 mph road, I see a white XC40 right next to me.....light turned green, and IT TOOK OFF like a bat.... a T4 ! I had a smirk on my face......it's the fact that YOU KNOW if you wanted to smoke it, you easily could. But I was just creeping through green light and abiding by the 45-50 mph limits.... that ALSO brought me as much satisfaction!

That was my morning.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
it's the fact that YOU KNOW if you wanted to smoke it, you easily could.
I've had a Tesla Model S (0-60 in 4.3 seconds) since 2017 (now having 2 EV's is the best) and the "instant torque" is one of my 3 favorite things about EV's:
1) No trips to the gas station
2) Very minimal maintenance (no oil, filter, brakes, belts, hoses, etc)
3) THE INSTANT TORQUE

1 - 20 of 62 Posts