Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken delivery of my new XC40 Twin Pro. For some reason it does not have the hands free (Foot sweep) boot opening even though it has the sticker that says it does. The dealership said this was due to a chip shortage. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if it can be retrofitted once they have more of the chips in?

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
That’s a bit of a bummer, but you do have the power tailgate, right? I suppose that’s more important. We heard that even some of the XC60s are being built without power tailgate. You’d have to check with the dealer or Volvo rep to see if the hands-free can be retrofitted.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I have just taken delivery of my new XC40 Twin Pro. For some reason it does not have the hands free (Foot sweep) boot opening even though it has the sticker that says it does. The dealership said this was due to a chip shortage. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if it can be retrofitted once they have more of the chips in?
Well that sucks. Especially if they did not tell you.

Almost wish I could send you mine as I gave up using it a long time ago. Used it when I got the car in May but it often failed (user error) so in the end I gave up and do it the press button way.

Hopefully the chip shortage will not impact any other feature.

On the bright side I imagine/hope there will be an oem industry springing up to fix problems caused by chip shortages.

· Registered
514 Posts
You think they would knock money off or tell you it can be retrofitted at a later date. We just picked up our one XC40 a few weeks ago and it had the hands free tailgate installed.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
If the windows sticker shows it, what indicator are you using to know that you don't have it?

You said "foot sweep". It's supposed to be activated by a foot kicking motion straight forward. Placement is toward the left as in the picture (ignore the exhaust pipe shown):
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Hood

· Registered
876 Posts
If the windows sticker shows it, what indicator are you using to know that you don't have it?

You said "foot sweep". It's supposed to be activated by a foot kicking motion straight forward. Placement is toward the left as in the picture (ignore the exhaust pipe shown):
View attachment 1907

View attachment 1906
My trick is to move my foot underneath right by where the first “o” of the Volvo letters.

I have the ‘22 model and the option works.

@RichPWRR if the option shows up on thewindow sticker have the dealer or give you a nice discount or have them install the option at a later time free of charge. Get it in writing.

Reactions: mike1234

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE . So it would appear my car dealer is an idiot. I was sweeping my foot left and right under the boot and nothing was happening. He then tried and again nothing happened. He then looked under the car and said, yup, the sensor has not been installed, so i took his word for it.

I have just been reading some of the threads on here and someone mentioned that the foot kick wont work if you sweep side to side. It will only work if you kick in and out quickly under the V of the volvo. I have just been out to give it a try and guess what, IT WORKED. I think i will be relying on this forum more than the dealership from now on.

· Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
372 Posts
I have just been reading some of the threads on here and someone mentioned that the foot kick wont work if you sweep side to side. It will only work if you kick in and out quickly under the V of the volvo. I have just been out to give it a try and guess what, IT WORKED. I think i will be relying on this forum more than the dealership from now on.
I also learned that the lift gate works with an in and out leg movement rather than a side to side movement. I aim for between the “V” and “O”. However, my poor wife is invisible to lift gate sensors. She can’t get the one on my P8 to work nor the one on her Ford Explorer.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I dislike the way the tail comes down and does not seem to care if you are in the way. Small garage space so we are forced to play chicken.

I do know that if it cannot latch it will re open so at least it will not do a final crush :)

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v2.5
76 Posts
I also learned that the lift gate works with an in and out leg movement rather than a side to side movement. I aim for between the “V” and “O”. However, my poor wife is invisible to lift gate sensors. She can’t get the one on my P8 to work nor the one on her Ford Explorer.
You should also step away from the car after doing the kick, I read that somewhere and I’ve had much better luck getting it to work since I started doing that.

· Registered
784 Posts
You should also step away from the car after doing the kick, I read that somewhere and I’ve had much better luck getting it to work since I started doing that.
Yes if it senses that something is directly behind the lift gate it will not open - since it does not want to hit it.

· Registered
549 Posts
Based on what I've read in the Polestar forums, MANY owners there (same CMA chassis as our cars) were getting emails from Polestar after they would schedule their car order. It was something to the effect of "chip shortage, no foot sensor; will be retrofitted at a later date" -- so they were not discounting the car, just giving you an "IOU" for having it installed down the road.

That said, sounds like the OP fixed the issue by operator error. Still, it would not surprise me if the XC40 2022s come in w/o this sensor, like the Polestar is finding, so be ready for that just in case. It could happen.

PS: BMW is shipping cars w/o touch screens, GM has stopped shipping some cars with heated seats/steering wheels, Mini ships their cars w/o HK upgraded radios (gives you $500 off MSRP), etc. It is pretty widespread and will be many months before things return to normal.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
Based on what I've read in the Polestar forums, MANY owners there (same CMA chassis as our cars) were getting emails from Polestar after they would schedule their car order. It was something to the effect of "chip shortage, no foot sensor; will be retrofitted at a later date" -- so they were not discounting the car, just giving you an "IOU" for having it installed down the road.

That said, sounds like the OP fixed the issue by operator error. Still, it would not surprise me if the XC40 2022s come in w/o this sensor, like the Polestar is finding, so be ready for that just in case. It could happen.

PS: BMW is shipping cars w/o touch screens, GM has stopped shipping some cars with heated seats/steering wheels, Mini ships their cars w/o HK upgraded radios (gives you $500 off MSRP), etc. It is pretty widespread and will be many months before things return to normal.
Shortage will ease in the beginning of 2023. Sucks big time. Link

My dealership warned me about that. I was ready to have something cut off but everything came alright.

· Registered
296 Posts
UPDATE . So it would appear my car dealer is an idiot. I was sweeping my foot left and right under the boot and nothing was happening. He then tried and again nothing happened. He then looked under the car and said, yup, the sensor has not been installed, so i took his word for it.

The reason it’s not a left/right sweep is that they want you to move back from the car so that the gate doesn’t hit you on the way up, so using a forward/backward kicking motion (under the first O in VOLVO) moves you back so that you don’t get hit. My dealer was doing the left/right thing, and I said “hold my CarPlay”…and they are still holding my CarPlay.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
The reason it’s not a left/right sweep is that they want you to move back from the car so that the gate doesn’t hit you on the way up, so using a forward/backward kicking motion (under the first O in VOLVO) moves you back so that you don’t get hit. My dealer was doing the left/right thing, and I said “hold my CarPlay”…and they are still holding my CarPlay.
Do not forget to have a key with you otherwise the "kick" will not work.
There is parking sensor on the left when you face the car. The "kick" sensor is right under there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.