Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else on the forum have a Grizzl-E Smart charger? Is it currently working for you? Mine seems to have stopped working today. I also noticed that the United Chargers portal with which i have registered my charger is not working today as well (my understanding is site is run by United Chargers/Grizzl-E). https://acharger.ca/. I'm wondering if the charger wont charge if it cant access the website for some reason.

I plugged in the Level 2 charger that came with my XC40 and its charging fine, so pretty sure its not my car. I opened a ticket with Grizzl-E and will update this if/when i hear back from them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have one. It has worked flawlessly since we installed it. Based on my searches before I bought, their customer service is awesome and they will go to the nith degree to help you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one. It has worked flawlessly since we installed it. Based on my searches before I bought, their customer service is awesome and they will go to the nith degree to help you.
Yea, not super worried about getting support for it. Just wondering if it was a coincidence that the charger stopped working at the same time as the charging portal site, or if others were also seeing issues as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also to John M's point, United Chargers support was super quick to respond, so props to them for not only getting the issue fixed so quickly, but also for communicating there was an issue and that they had resolved it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also to John M's point, United Chargers support was super quick to respond, so props to them for not only getting the issue fixed so quickly, but also for communicating there was an issue and that they had resolved it.
ah I see you have the smart charger version.. that explains it. I have the 'dumb' version as we don't get special off time rates. Glad you got it sorted!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I guess I was right. Just a heads up to anyone with a Grizzl-E Smart to update the firmware on it.
View attachment 1220
Would have been nice if they included the firmware revision that got this fix. We‘ve had a Smart model installed since May when we got our P8. It took a while to understand the profile mechanism at acharger.ca and get timed charging to work. It’s still fairly crude but I really like the Grizzl-E build quality and, as you mentioned, their support staff has been responsive.

We’re on 5.43 now but never noticed the internet dependency though it could have been obscured by profile debugging. I hardwired ours to a 50 amp breaker with 6 awg wire and set the dip switches to 40 amps. The charging reports from the portal and the P8’s dash both only show a max of 36 amps for any of our charging sessions. I did submit a prob report on that but haven't heard back yet. Do other users also see this depressed maximum?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Again, I have the non smart version. I have dip switches sent to 40 amps and the car to 40. I typically see 38 amps which is fine by me. I also have it hardwired to 50amp breaker with 6 awg wire.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
I have dip switches sent to 40 amps and the car to 40. I typically see 38 amps which is fine by me. I also have it hardwired to 50amp breaker with 6 awg wire.
I also get 38A with essentially the same setup (my Grizzl-E classic set for 40A, car 48A, 6awg cable to 50A breaker).

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
I have been very happy with my 40A dumb version. I always get 39A (using 4awg thru 50A GFI breaker). I up-coded to 4awg wire in the event I want to go hardwire on a 48A unit after.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
I believe 6awg is still code for 48A on a 50A breaker.

View attachment 1228
Yes, it is -- thanks for noting that. I'm just extra safe when it comes to electricity -- especially when pulling this kind of current for extended periods overnight while I'm sleeping. Of course, pulling 48A should be hardwired thru a 60A breaker, not 50A.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yes, it is -- thanks for noting that. I'm just extra safe when it comes to electricity -- especially when pulling this kind of current for extended periods overnight while I'm sleeping. Of course, pulling 48A should be hardwired thru a 60A breaker, not 50A.
Fully understand, I just ran 12/2 for a bunch of LED shop lights that will never draw more than 300 watts. I ran decimated circuits to my home office years ago 1 for a laser printer the other for my computers. My home media room has 5 20amp dedicated outlets.

I was very paranoid the first 2 weeks thinking something in the basement was pulling 40amps non-stop for 3-4 hours. I was less worried about the wire over the outlet and returned the Leviton outlet I originally bought and got a commercial grade Hubbell. One day right after it charged for 4.r hours I immediately unplugged EVSE to feel the outlet, prongs and all the wires to see how warm everything was. It all was slightly warm to the touch, but the 6awg was room temp. The EVSE was warm as was its cable. Because most of my EVSE cable is coiled up on the hanger it was a bit warmer since the cable could not disappear the heat as fast. I felt much better and don’t stress it as much now, although I have been toying with having a sprinkler system put in the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts