Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow the electrician is coming by to finish the installation of the NEMA 14-50 outlet.
According to their website there are 3 different network providers that can be used for charging management (United chargers portal, AmpUp and ChargeLab). Two out of those have iOS apps.

Anyone using the Grizzl-E Smart charger can give some pointers of which provider to use? Which one works best?

I am mostly interested in charging scheduling and tracking my monthly usage.

Thanks in advance. (y)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEMA 14-50 was back ordered. It was also quite more expensive than the Grizzl-E.
Ordered from Amazon and it arrived today.
From the research I did it had great reviews and their customer service is great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
NEMA 14-50 was back ordered. It was also quite more expensive than the Grizzl-E.
Ordered from Amazon and it arrived today.
From the research I did it had great reviews and their customer service is great.
I have a Grizzl-E. It has been flawless. Mine is not a smart charger, but at this point I don't require one and if / when I do it can be upgraded.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
I bought the non-smart Grizzl-E classic because soon Volvo will have scheduled charging built-in to the car similar to climate timers:

Functions coming later in 2021/beginning of 2022:
  • Climate timers (for model year 2022) – remote pre-setting of times for pre-climatization
  • Where is my car? (for model year 2022) – see the vehicle's location on a map and, if necessary, activate the horn or indicator lights
  • Push notification to your phone if your vehicle is unlocked
  • Charging timers – remote pre-setting of when charging should start to take advantage of charging at low tariff times
  • Scheduling updates – remote pre-setting of times to update the vehicle over the air (OTA)
  • Car status – see mileage and other dashboard driving statistics in the app
  • Driving journal – keep track of mileage, trips and duration
  • Saved charging locations – the vehicle remembers the amperage at different charging points
  • Push notifications to your phone when charging starts or has been interrupted

Reactions: B-mtrd

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a ChargePoint Home Flex and just recently replaced that with a pair of Wallbox Pulsar Plus units. I really liked the Wallbox units, but my only complaint is that the cable is not nearly as flexible as the cable on the ChargePoint when it gets colder. As far as features, I like the Wallbox and you can power share, which is the reason I switched.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the smart version and swapped it out once my chargepoint came in. The Acharger.ca portal, which I believe is run by grizzl-e, is really half baked. I was able to add the charger to the portal and could update the firmware, send commands to the charger, but that's about it. The graphs and reports didn't really work and I couldn't even edit the name or location of the charger, or delete it. I tried the Android app, but it didn't really work. I'll attach a screenshot of what it looks like.

Bottom line, its a rock solid charger and I'm pretty sure I could throw it across my garage and then run it over with my car and it would still work fine for years. Software side is just really early in the development. My brother is planning on getting an EV next year and I plan on giving him the charger to use so it will be interesting to see how it develops as time passes.
Product Font Technology Circle Logo

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered the smart version because I wanted the scheduling capability for time of day electricity pricing. It took a while to get things figured out on the United chargers portal but after a few support calls and firmware updates it all works fine for me. I looked at the other portal options but they seemed primarily aimed at for fee networks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the smart version because I wanted the scheduling capability for time of day electricity pricing. It took a while to get things figured out on the United chargers portal but after a few support calls and firmware updates it all works fine for me. I looked at the other portal options but they seemed primarily aimed at for fee networks.
Good to know. I might bug you via PM if you don’t mind in case I come across any issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts