Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Easiest way to reboot/reset things is to hold down the center "home" button (physical button) until the system reboots. That usually fixes things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are a few things you can try. I would start by resetting the center screen. Hold down the button below the screen for ~20 seconds, until the word Volvo appears.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
71 Posts
If after asking questions on this and other web posts (FB Volvo XC40) and after reading the manual you still have problems, press the overhead button and ask Volvo directly. Or call Customer Service or email customer service. You WILL get answers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The key is in the car. I held it down until the Volvo name appeared.
Then you DID successfully reset the main computer, which includes the "GPS" (by which I think you mean "Google Maps").

Perhaps your issue is the internet connection? Make sure your car is somewhere where there is decent cell reception - otherwise Google Maps will not be able to get any data. Remember, this car has an "online" navigation system. The maps aren't stored on a DVD inside the car any more - the car has to be connected to the Internet for the maps to work.

You can also try resetting the car's cellular modem. To do this, hold in the Front Defrost button for about 30 seconds (until the SOS light overhead starts blinking), then wait briefly while it restores your cellular (LTE) connection.

·
Registered
2021 P8
18 Posts
I've had issues where the GPS isn't responsive at the same time that the modem is frozen. Took it to the dealer and they reloaded software and cleared previous crashes. Will see if that actually makes a difference. Some folks have had their entire head units replaced though....

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
Then you DID successfully reset the main computer, which includes the "GPS" (by which I think you mean "Google Maps").

Perhaps your issue is the internet connection? Make sure your car is somewhere where there is decent cell reception - otherwise Google Maps will not be able to get any data. Remember, this car has an "online" navigation system. The maps aren't stored on a DVD inside the car any more - the car has to be connected to the Internet for the maps to work.

You can also try resetting the car's cellular modem. To do this, hold in the Front Defrost button for about 30 seconds (until the SOS light overhead starts blinking), then wait briefly while it restores your cellular (LTE) connection.
I started having LTE connection issues out of the blue this morning for no apparent reason. It's lasted all day, and I just tried the Front Defrost reset trick, but it didn't reset or restore the LTE connection. Had already tried the IHU reset a few times. Puzzled and unsure what to try next.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same issue a couple days ago. What worked for me was someone's suggestion of letting the car go into a deep sleep mode. Do that by locking the car, keeping the fobs at least 15 feet away from the car, and leaving it unplugged overnight. No amount of reboot the IHU or pressing and holding the defrost button would work for me. To me, it seemed like the control unit for the gps and LTE just froze and stopped responding. The defrost button wouldn't reset it. Not sure if something finally timed out and rebooted the modem, but that's the process that worked for me this week.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
I had the same issue a couple days ago. What worked for me was someone's suggestion of letting the car go into a deep sleep mode. Do that by locking the car, keeping the fobs at least 15 feet away from the car, and leaving it unplugged overnight. No amount of reboot the IHU or pressing and holding the defrost button would work for me. To me, it seemed like the control unit for the gps and LTE just froze and stopped responding. The defrost button wouldn't reset it. Not sure if something finally timed out and rebooted the modem, but that's the process that worked for me this week.
I'll try that tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
125 Posts
Home button is the large round button below the screen. it is also a volume control.
^^^ That is incorrect information.

Here are some hidden uses of several buttons:

Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system.
Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​
  • Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.
Front windshield defrost button:​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
28 Posts
^^^ That is incorrect information.

Here are some hidden uses of several buttons:

Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system.
Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​
  • Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.
Front windshield defrost button:​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)
Sorry - you are right - not sure where my mind went!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts