Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
primary reason is convenience, setting a schedule. I get free power from 12am to 6am so setting a schedule is a requirement for me. Also load sharing in the future when we get a second EV in 3 years.
For me it was all about scheduling the charging time. I schedule mine from 11AM to 7AM when it is cheaper to run electricity. Otherwise I would have used the OEM cord. I read somewhere the app would be able to set times in the future but that functionality has yet to be delivered on the Volvo app.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
For me, I'd also prefer to keep my factory cable in the car for potential charges elsewhere, like my workplace; I'm also not keen leaving the factory charger plugged in (to reduce wear on the NEMA 14-50 socket/plug) since the light tends to illuminate my garage door window, a minor nit. But like others, my main desire is reliable time-of-day charging schedules.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I need to spend some time rethinking the position of my EVSE. The Wallbox is small so it is not in the way. The JuiceBox and ChargePoint are both larger deeper units with where you jack the charger connection in to the main unit making them rather obnoxious in size. I am going to order a stand along connector holster and cable hanger to give me some additional flexibility.
For me, I'd also prefer to keep my factory cable in the car for potential charges elsewhere, like my workplace; I'm also not keen leaving the factory charger plugged in (to reduce wear on the NEMA 14-50 socket/plug) since the light tends to illuminate my garage door window, a minor nit. But like others, my main desire is reliable time-of-day charging schedules.
Factory cord and adapters in the frunk for any potential need when driving. Highly unlikely, but one never knows.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Factory cord and adapters in the frunk for any potential need when driving. Highly unlikely, but one never knows.
I'd installed the CP wall unit for all the reasons previously mentioned here.
Additionally, it would be an "added value" for home sale in the future (or if nothing else, an attractive freebie to Buyers) given by 2025 onwards, more EVs will be rolled out.

Since my electrician was extending the cables, I also decided to snake the cables on BOTH sides of the garage. On one side the CP wall-unit is plugged into a 14-50, the other side is an available 14-50 socket.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd installed the CP wall unit for all the reasons previously mentioned here.
Additionally, it would be an "added value" for home sale in the future (or if nothing else, an attractive freebie to Buyers) given by 2025 onwards, more EVs will be rolled out.

Since my electrician was extending the cables, I also decided to snake the cables on BOTH sides of the garage. On one side the CP wall-unit is plugged into a 14-50, the other side is an available 14-50 socket.

I have been working on reworking my panel to free up a second set of connection to run a second NEMA 14-50 long term to the other side of the garage as well. I know the newer EVSEs do load sharing to may extend the existing as well. Not sure as buggy as some of these EVSEs that I want ot trust that vs. just do staggered schedules or dial back the EVSEs when I have 2.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a hardwired Tesla HPWC in one garage bay for our model 3 and am hardwiring a Chargepoint in the other bay for the XC40. I'm hardwiring the Chargepoint for two reasons: no need for a non-code compliant (no GFCI) 14-50 outlet in my garage, and since the hardwired installation only requires three conductors (L1 L2 Gnd), I can use 1/2" EMT which is easier to deal with than the 3/4" EMT needed by a 14-50 using four conductors. I'm using an existing charger circuit which is currently plumbed to a 6-50 receptacle at the wrong (head) end of that parking space.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have a hardwired Tesla HPWC in one garage bay for our model 3 and am hardwiring a Chargepoint in the other bay for the XC40. I'm hardwiring the Chargepoint for two reasons: no need for a non-code compliant (no GFCI) 14-50 outlet in my garage, and since the hardwired installation only requires three conductors (L1 L2 Gnd), I can use 1/2" EMT which is easier to deal with than the 3/4" EMT needed by a 14-50 using four conductors. I'm using an existing charger circuit which is currently plumbed to a 6-50 receptacle at the wrong (head) end of that parking space.
In hindsight I wish I had hardwired. Since I do much of my own electrical I would swap u this myself. I think if I keep this Wallbox I will hardwire it. I ran enough slack in the cable on both ends to move the outlet or to hardwire. The only issue will be dealing with the unneeded neutral wire. I will probably buy a splitter plug and just terminate it there for now.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
182 Posts
From the bulletin - you have 6 months from date of delivery with final expiry 1 Dec. - so if you took delivery on March 15 - you have till Sept 15 to claim - if you took delivery on May 31 you have till Nov 31 to claim:

This program will be effective as of February 15, 2021 on all MY2021 XC40 BEV Recharge models with customer retail dates between December 15, 2020 and June 1, 2021. Coverage will be for a period of 6-months from customer delivery. The program will expire on December 1, 2021.
If I understand correctly, upon delivery the $1,000 accessory credit (via the bulletin) expired June 1, but is the Chargepoint promo still active?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi! First post here. I bought my XC40 recharge at the end of May (after placing my order for it in mid March). I just got my rebate code for the ChargePoint charger today. Very excited to finally get it installed. However, I’m still quite confused about whether to get the 14-50 or the 6-50? I’ve read a few posts on here pertaining to that and I’m still bewildered as I have zero electrical knowledge. Any advice would be welcome! Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi! First post here. I bought my XC40 recharge at the end of May (after placing my order for it in mid March). I just got my rebate code for the ChargePoint charger today. Very excited to finally get it installed. However, I’m still quite confused about whether to get the 14-50 or the 6-50? I’ve read a few posts on here pertaining to that and I’m still bewildered as I have zero electrical knowledge. Any advice would be welcome! Thank you!
If you have no existing wiring to the location where you plan to install the charger (and will have an electrician run completely new wire) then it's generally recommended to go with the 14-50 plug. That's what the cable that comes with the XC40 has and is generally the "standard" plug for most higher current 240V items now. It will cost slightly more to run this because it includes an additional 6 gauge wire, but it is more future proof/flexible.

I lucked out and happed to have existing, unused 6/2 wire with ground right above where I planned to install my charger so I chose the 6-50 plug (which doesn't require a neutral wire). If you plan to hardwire, there is no difference between the two options because the plug is not used. A hardwired installation allows you to go above the 40A limit that is required if you use a plug.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
Gonna factor my answers on your "have zero electrical knowledge".

The two ChargePoint options have different plug shapes, to start with. If you already have a 220v line where you can plug it in using one of the two plugs, and that receptacle is on a "large" (eg 50A) breaker, then pick which ever format you have.

If you're already using your factory charger with the "big" (14-50) plug, then you can get the Chargepoint unit with the 14-50 plug and install it. (It's not a hard install and if you follow the directions and just use the 14-50 plug, an electrician isn't necessary. [In my opinion] But if you're not comfortable, don't do it yourself.)

If you're using the 110v adapter and don't have a 220v at all, then you'll need to talk to an electrician about what to do. This could require anything from a major require to get power to where you need it, or simply adding a receptacle and wiring to an existing panel.

For our purposes there's several options people are using:

Hardwire the ChargePoint. This requires electrician-grade work to get wiring with sufficient capabilities to where you want the ChargePoint mounted. If you prefer dedicated wiring for your charge solution, this is actually the best way to go. Either version of the ChargePoint can be hardwired.

If you want a little more flexibility and don't mind a little longer charge times, then having a 14-50 receptacle wired up "correctly" with a 50A breaker gives you that flexibility of unplugging the ChargePoint to be able to plug something else in. Although that usually means some big equipment like an arc welder or a clothes dryer, etc. It's not a good idea to frequently plug/unplug such a high-current plug/receptacle but occasionally is probably fine.

If you have a receptacle (14-50 or 6-50) within 12-18" of where you'd mount the ChargePoint - and your breakers give a reasonable current (eg, 50A is pretty ideal for plug-in setup), then get whatever charger fits your receptacle. Make sure you set the ChargePoint to only use 80% of your breaker rating to be correct & safe. (I'm assuming the CP unit has this, mine arrives today and I'll set it up tomorrow.)

From what you say, though, I think your best overall bet is to get a decent electrician to evaluate/recommend and estimate a solution for your needs. This could vary wildly in cost depending on your needs, so be forewarned.

My scenario might differ from others: I happened to already have a 100A panel in my garage right next to where I wanted to charge, so I had a local electrician wire a 14-50 receptacle below the panel and a 50A breaker in the panel, which I've been using with the factory charger. I'm quite fine with a 40A charge rate. Tomorrow I'll install the ChargePoint unit and plug into this receptacle and should be good to go.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
193 Posts
Hi! First post here. I bought my XC40 recharge at the end of May (after placing my order for it in mid March). I just got my rebate code for the ChargePoint charger today. Very excited to finally get it installed. However, I’m still quite confused about whether to get the 14-50 or the 6-50? I’ve read a few posts on here pertaining to that and I’m still bewildered as I have zero electrical knowledge. Any advice would be
Sorry trying to remove my post and can't figure out how

·
Registered
27 Posts
My ChargePoint credit came by email today as a code you enter in the app. This was important to me because I am still rolling around in the mud trying to get the car charger installed so my wife is charging out every day.

Too bad the Recharge is still in the shop getting the infotainment crashes diagnosed. :(
We just got ours today as well, three weeks post purchase.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As others mentioned, the difference between 14-50 and 6-50 is an extra "hole" in the outlet. That hole is for neutral. A bit of tech info: Typically, a house feed from a pole has two phases, three wires, coming in. If you were to measure the voltage of it:

Code:
Phase1 -------------------------------------------------------------
                                    \                         \
                                     120V                       \
                                    /                             \
Neutral -----------------------------                               240V
                                    \                             /
                                     120V                       /
                                    /                         /
Phase2 -------------------------------------------------------------
Inside you're fuse panel are various breakers. Singles and doubles. Singles just touch a single phase line (either one) and sent to outlet along with neutral to give you 120V.
A double break touches both phase lines and sent to outlet to give you 240V (6-40). A double breaker situation could also choose to send the neutral wire to the outlet (14-50). The reason to have that is to give the device plugged in the option to use one phase only to make only 120V ... typically a range/oven only wants 120V for the electronics but wants 240V for the heating element. Hence wants all three wires to do that.

In the case of our chargers, they seem just happy using 240v only. Hence the neutral isn't used and why either 6-50 or 14-50 could be used (depending on the plug that came with the charger).
These days 14-50 is the preferred route as it gives future options/flexibility. As mentioned, the added cost of 14-50 over 6-50 is running that extra neutral wire from fuse box to outlet.

BTW: Ground and Neutral are not the same thing despite being connected together in the fuse box (and fuse box only).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Purchased car 5/31, received voucher 6/18 and notified today it shipped. Seems like ChargePoint is catching up. I have been happy with my WallBox so will likely eBay it or something.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I received my ChargePoint device yesterday. Leaving it sealed on going on eBay this weekend. I like my Wallbox and the Wallbox supports power sharing and we plan on another EV in 2 years so I can just hang another Wallbox and be set. Looks like they are running about 3 weeks behind right now form order. That is not bad.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
17 Posts
My ChargePoint arrived in the mail yesterday (7/26/2021). Looking forward to getting it installed which should be by the end of the week. The slow Level 1 charging is starting to become a bit of a negative, so I’m excited to be able to charge it to 90% faster. I want to primarily charge at home.

I did get two electric bills since purchasing the car, and even though I have solar panels, I was surprised at how much the increase was since I haven’t been charging it every night. My bill was over double what it usually is. 😕 How has everyone else’s electric bills been?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am the wrong person to ask ;-) So far since having my car May 31, it has cost me $8 to charge the car. My electric company offers rate plans that encourage charging midnight - 6am. Each month I get 400 kWh of free electricity between midnight and 6am so I charge at those time. Anything I use over that during that period is $0.045 kWh. In June I did not exceed the 400 free kWh, but in July I went over a bit. Keep in mind since it is July my AC runs a great deal during the night. A normal July I would use around 200-275kWh (during midniht-6m). Once we get into October I suspect I will probably be charging the car for free or close to it.

See what incentive rates your electric company gives for overnight charging. My electric company also gave me a $250 rebate for installing the EVSE, so while my bill showed $8 during the night rate the credit made it $0 so essentially so far with 980 miles I have not spent anything to charge the car.

As a side note if I look at the Wallbox stats for the same period as my electric bill it says I used $10.82 of power to charge the car, which because my rate plan change covers 34 days, but then my car has been out of service 5 of those 34 days.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts