Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dealer / sales guy has disregarded any of my email inquiry since the Car rolled out of that dealership - close to 2 weeks - still cont know if they even submitted it as they promised to do so the day of. It’s like if I want answer I have to drive there in person.
Pretty similar experience here. I noticed at the bottom of the chargepoint claim form that there's an email address for the sales rep to submit the claim. So I sent an email to that address and cc'd my dealer, asking for status of my credits. The email address was [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you get the credit?
We picked up our Recharge on 5/15, and the dealership didn't mention (or more likely, wasn't aware) of the ChargePoint credit offer. When I enquired with Volvo USA support, they told me that the offer wasn't available to owners in Washington state, but offered 30% off any accessories I wanted to order as a goodwill gesture. I've got ChargePoint Home already, so it's not a dealbreaker but the whole offer seems entirely arbitrary at this point.
I think the Volvo USA support are mistaken. We had our car delivered in Washington. We had been waiting for the car which was stuck at Tacoma Port waiting for Heat Pump and Volvo On Call software updates. See attached service bulletin from Volvo to all dealers. Bottom line, you can get up to $750 (choices include $500 CP credit, or cost of the ChargePoint Homeflex) AND up to $1000 in accessories, all to be paid by Volvo. The dealer doesn't have to pay for it. I elected for the ChargePoint HomeFlex and a few dollars over the $1000 in accessories. This is to compensate those buyers who have been waiting for their cars at the Port and the months of SW updates, features still missing. They want to keep happy customers. Offer though is good through 6/1.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got my P8 today and they dealer filled out the form and took it. We will see what happens. I don’t think I am going to,wait 5+ weeks plus whoever delay Volvo ads taking it to 2+ months. I am debating Juicebox or Wallbox ($50 off today) then when the ChargePoint comes I will just EBay it probably
I have the ChargePoint HomeFlex at home for my Polestar 2. We ordered another ChargePoint HomeFlex through the Volvo offer for my wife's XC40 Recharge. The charger integrates really well with the Chargepoint app in the car as well as smartphones.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
@He Keith - Have their contact info handy?
Email is best as it open a case and then you have an audit trail for all communications. I had first reply in a few hours.

Did you get you first survey in the purchase expierience yet? Volvo called me at about the 10-14 day mark asking about my experience and the dealer. Another option is Google and Yelp reviews, and call out names, they is powerful. I wrote a borderline review on my wife’s buy because the finance people messed so much stuff up and got a text from the sales person within a day.

I have purchased a lot of cars over last 30 years and will give Volvo credit, they are responsive and try to help, more than any other brand I have dealt with. I called them on Memorial day here and they answered twice that day to help with pairing my VOC.

[email protected]

I addressed to their CEO below

Anders Gustafsson
c/o Volvo Car USA
1800 Volvo Pl
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
I think the Volvo USA support are mistaken. We had our car delivered in Washington. We had been waiting for the car which was stuck at Tacoma Port waiting for Heat Pump and Volvo On Call software updates. See attached service bulletin from Volvo to all dealers. Bottom line, you can get up to $750 (choices include $500 CP credit, or cost of the ChargePoint Homeflex) AND up to $1000 in accessories, all to be paid by Volvo. The dealer doesn't have to pay for it. I elected for the ChargePoint HomeFlex and a few dollars over the $1000 in accessories. This is to compensate those buyers who have been waiting for their cars at the Port and the months of SW updates, features still missing. They want to keep happy customers. Offer though is good through 6/1.
That's why i ended up twisting my arm to let go of the initial one I'd "built" (arrival end of June) to "negotiate" on existing inventory that I DIDN'T need to begin with but had to come down as close to the price of my initial built. Point is, I wanted to take advantage of the Accessory and ChargePoint which on fine prints "supposedly" expire by June 1st.

1) I believe that until Volvo successfully roll-out all the functionalities marketed (otherwise borderline false marketing), the $1k Accessory SHOULD still be valid until then !
2) Because the ChargePoint unit was already installed in March through direct purchase from ChargePoint, Volvo didnt' honor it when I asked for a "credit of $750" - but i had to try :) So supposedly they would submit for the $500 credit instead -- but crickets for 2 weeks now.

Come to think of it, once VW, MIA and the rest roll out their EVs end of year, Volvo may ease up a little to be more flexible ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's why i ended up twisting my arm to let go of the initial one I'd "built" (arrival end of June) to "negotiate" on existing inventory that I DIDN'T need to begin with but had to come down as close to the price of my initial built. Point is, I wanted to take advantage of the Accessory and ChargePoint which on fine prints "supposedly" expire by June 1st.

1) I believe that until Volvo successfully roll-out all the functionalities marketed (otherwise borderline false marketing), the $1k Accessory SHOULD still be valid until then !
2) Because the ChargePoint unit was already installed in March through direct purchase from ChargePoint, Volvo didnt' honor it when I asked for a "credit of $750" - but i had to try :) So supposedly they would submit for the $500 credit instead -- but crickets for 2 weeks now.

Come to think of it, once VW, MIA and the rest roll out their EVs end of year, Volvo may ease up a little to be more flexible ?
From the bulletin - you have 6 months from date of delivery with final expiry 1 Dec. - so if you took delivery on March 15 - you have till Sept 15 to claim - if you took delivery on May 31 you have till Nov 31 to claim:

This program will be effective as of February 15, 2021 on all MY2021 XC40 BEV Recharge models with customer retail dates between December 15, 2020 and June 1, 2021. Coverage will be for a period of 6-months from customer delivery. The program will expire on December 1, 2021.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't really understand the purpose behind the HomeFlex. The provided charging cable can plug right into a traditional 50A outlet and charge the car at 10kW, so what good does the HomeFlex provide since the XC40 obviously has it's own built-in charger than can support 50A 240V? What am I missing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't really understand the purpose behind the HomeFlex. The provided charging cable can plug right into a traditional 50A outlet and charge the car at 10kW, so what good does the HomeFlex provide since the XC40 obviously has it's own built-in charger than can support 50A 240V? What am I missing?
1. HomeFlex has longer cable.
2. You can set up charging time limit. I don't need this function, but some state has cheaper price at night time. So they plug it in anytime, but you can schedule when the electric price is the most cheap time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
In the US you can't plug in to a circuit at more than 40A by code. So, if you have to follow code and you need 48 amps then you can hardwire the Flex.

In the US by code an outlet in the garage needs to be GFCI protected. Supposedly you can't do this with the NEMA 16-50 at 40A. The Flex has built in GFCI so it eliminates that issue.

The XC40 currently does not have a charge timer. If you are on a time of use plan you can use the Flex to schedule charging when electricity is cheaper. This is probably the most compelling reason.

The Flex offers some control and monitoring that might be useful for some people.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
primary reason is convenience, setting a schedule. I get free power from 12am to 6am so setting a schedule is a requirement for me. Also load sharing in the future when we get a second EV in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
In the US you can't plug in to a circuit at more than 40A by code. So, if you have to follow code and you need 48 amps then you can hardwire the Flex.

In the US by code an outlet in the garage needs to be GFCI protected. Supposedly you can't do this with the NEMA 16-50 at 40A. The Flex has built in GFCI so it eliminates that issue.

The XC40 currently does not have a charge timer. If you are on a time of use plan you can use the Flex to schedule charging when electricity is cheaper. This is probably the most compelling reason.

The Flex offers some control and monitoring that might be useful for some people.
I wonder how many people have GFCI protected NEMA 14-50 in their garage? The problem is most of these EVSE come with built in and double GFCI tends to cause false tripping. I am contemplating moving to hardwire to avoid this and get compliant.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It's pretty easy to remove the 14-50 plug from the Chargepoint, remove the 14-50 receptacle from the junction box, and run a short length of conduit between the two.
I actually ran enough slack in my cable and it comes from above so direct wiring would be easy. I would need to terminate neutral in a junction box next to charger as I ran 6/3. Right now I have a Wallbox until I get my voucher and order my ChargePoint

·
Registered
392 Posts
I actually ran enough slack in my cable and it comes from above so direct wiring would be easy. I would need to terminate neutral in a junction box next to charger as I ran 6/3. Right now I have a Wallbox until I get my voucher and order my ChargePoint
The ChargePoint doesn't use a neutral conductor (see hardwire installation directions online), even though it's most readily available with a 14-50 plug rather than 6-50. I'll be hooking mine up in the next several days. Unfortunately conduit entry to the Chargepoint is either through the bottom (removing the line cord and using that hole), or from the back panel bear the bottom. I prefer Tesla's HPWC design where the conduit can enter from top, bottom, or back.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I need to spend some time rethinking the position of my EVSE. The Wallbox is small so it is not in the way. The JuiceBox and ChargePoint are both larger deeper units with where you jack the charger connection in to the main unit making them rather obnoxious in size. I am going to order a stand along connector holster and cable hanger to give me some additional flexibility. If I hardwire I will just cap or terminate the neutral since at some point I may want to go back to an outlet.

Reactions: DeaneG
21 - 40 of 79 Posts