Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a P8 recharge, and I absolutely love it 馃А. Trying to get Google Podcasts app set up. There are menus for subscriptions, downloads, queues, but I can't see any way of putting anything in them?! Looking at podcasts in the Home menu, I can play them but there's no option to add them to queue etc. Am I missing something really obvious? I have queues set up on my phone on the same account but they haven't synced across. Thanks!

Registered
Just got a P8 recharge, and I absolutely love it 馃А. Trying to get Google Podcasts app set up. There are menus for subscriptions, downloads, queues, but I can't see any way of putting anything in them?! Looking at podcasts in the Home menu, I can play them but there's no option to add them to queue etc. Am I missing something really obvious? I have queues set up on my phone on the same account but they haven't synced across. Thanks!
I鈥檝e been using Bluetooth Media Player for podcasts. Works very well. Just waiting for Apple Car Play.

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Ultimate
It does seem to work to play, and even continue a podcast, but is not great overall. I asked Google Assistant to Stop playing an episode, or even Pause, and it said it had a problem trying to do that, and told me to use the Google Podcasts app to control playback. I would if I could - I have heard of people who have had Google Podcasts show up on their Recharge, but it has not for me. Its not an option in the Play Store, and I have even asked Google Assistant to Open it, or Install it, to no avail. I wish I knew how others were able to get it in their system.....

Registered
Did you press the big Pause/Play button on the console?

Google Podcasts has been built-in since the early days, but only gained a user interface with version 1.7. Prior, if you asked Google Assistant to play a podcast it would launch Google podcast with no UI, and the only way to control it was to press the hard media buttons. The UI installs automatically when 1.7 installs. Now it inserts itself into the home screen whenever it feels like it.

Registered
... In fact now it inserts itself into the home screen whenever it feels like it.
This is so bloody annoying, I don't use Google podcasts yet it seems to take over the interface of whatever row it's in. Is there a way to disable it?

I love everything in the car, but the google system lets it down so badly (#1 gripe - Add radio favourites, so google ignores these and runs through stations alphabetically!)

Registered
Did you press the big Pause/Play button on the console?

Google Podcasts has been built-in since the early days, but only gained a user interface with version 1.7. Prior, if you asked Google Assistant to play a podcast it would launch Google podcast with no UI, and the only way to control it was to press the hard media buttons. The UI installs automatically when 1.7 installs. Now it inserts itself into the home screen whenever it feels like it.
I did, it gave me the same verbal message, to use the app. But there is no app to be found. Interestingly we have had version 1.7 installed for a few weeks now, all other functions are working, like Sirius XM, etc, but Google Podcasts did not show up, and is not in the Google Play store either....maybe I will try rebooting the UI to see if that helps.....

Registered
Odd. For me, neither Sirius XM nor Google Podcasts were present in the UI immediately after 1.7 installed, but within 10 minutes or so both showed up on their own.

Registered
FWIW, I prefer Pocket Casts anyway - nicer UI, and otherwise works fine. Just ask Google Assistant to 'Play ... on Pocket Cast'
Yeah I tried Pocket Casts, it is missing some features I wanted. I use Google Podcasts across a number of platforms, and found it to be the best for the features I wanted (auto download, auto delete played podcasts, and others). I'm hoping it is going to show up at some point soon, or I may consider others like Pocket Casts....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have given up on Google Podcasts. I'm using Spotify for public episodes, and for Patreon-only stuff I'm falling back to using phone+Bluetooth. Not ideal but it's better than what I had on my Skoda, so it'll do.

Registered
Yeah I tried Pocket Casts, it is missing some features I wanted. I use Google Podcasts across a number of platforms, and found it to be the best for the features I wanted (auto download, auto delete played podcasts, and others). I'm hoping it is going to show up at some point soon, or I may consider others like Pocket Casts....
Pocket casts does have auto-download and auto-delete after playing. It's not that easy to find these settings, but I have mine set to do both.

Registered
Pocket casts does have auto-download and auto-delete after playing. It's not that easy to find these settings, but I have mine set to do both.
You are right, it does, after looking for it. I still don't like that I would need to buy the paid edition to use my subscription on my PC though.....and just to update, installed version 1.8 on my car, and this didn't change anything, still no Google Podcasts icon or app in the car.

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
There is some inconsistency here which is really frustrating. First some background: I'm a big Android user and Pixel purist. I love the Google ecosystem and how things work seamlessly across devices, but have to admit some things are much more functional with a visual UI. Browsing a library of podcast subscriptions is one of those things. Secondly, after enjoying my XC40 Recharge so much, my wife indulged herself with an XC60.

What's strange is not only did her car get the OTA update well before my recharge, but it also came with a Google "Podcasts" icon on her screen which allows her to access the GUI for Google Podcasts. However, on our XC40 Recharges, we don't seem to have this app available. Pocketcasts is great, but I like to use Podcasts on my Pixel and my Google Home devices. It would be great if the same apps were available across different vehicle variants...

Registered
...What's strange is not only did her car get the OTA update well before my recharge, but it also came with a Google "Podcasts" icon on her screen which allows her to access the GUI for Google Podcasts....
Your wife's XC60 has AAOS rather than Sensus? It is strange then that we don't have a Google Podcasts app in the XC40.
There are issues with Pocketcasts as well. We used the Pocketcasts app on a road trip over the last few days. The car app syncs to the Pocketcasts cloud, so my subscriptions largely match my phone, but oddly several subscriptions are missing in the car - of course they were the ones I wanted to listen to on an 11-hour drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.