Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that since the last software update, the voices used for Google Navigation have changed? What I hear is that sometimes the gender of the voice used in giving directions starts as female, then morphs to male in the middle of the direction.... very odd. Is there something I'm missing?

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
We’re not on V1.7 yet, but noticed funny thing with one of the roads on our route last weekend. It’s the C111. Well, first, the voice said “Turn left on the C-one-one......one”. Next it said “C-one.......one-one” (the dots are extended pauses), then we had a laugh and next time it said “C-one-hundred-eleven”...and several other variations. You’d think it would always sound exactly the same. LOL!

· Registered
876 Posts
i havent used directions enough to notice, although i havent noticed any difference on text readouts.

i switched mine over to UK English, so my robot lady talks to me proper like.
How did you switch to UK English? Full system reset?
I hate the robotic voice too.

To the OP, are you downloading the offline maps as well? My maps is laggy but it always shows all the surrounding streets and roads.
When I set mine up to download offline maps, I selected the largest area it would allow me to.

· Registered
1,493 Posts

To the OP, are you downloading the offline maps as well? My maps is laggy but it always shows all the surrounding streets and roads.
When I set mine up to download offline maps, I selected the largest area it would allow me to.
IIRC we were able to set the Google Assistant voice by just saying “Hey Google, change the Google Assistant Voice”...but it may depend on the Google language setting as to how many options it provides...

· Registered
598 Posts
I use Google Home and Google Assistant in my residence. I do not yet have my C40 and do not know if Google Assistant operates as the same in Android Automotive, but it may.
Google Assistant typically has four major settings: Languages, Assistant Voices, Routines, and Music.
If you have the Assistant Voice setting, you should be able to get to the Voices screen.
There you have many options both male and female and different dialects. Pick your favorite!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I just recently downloaded offline maps. Pretty large territory, probably 25 mile square. I haven't noticed any lag.

· Registered
369 Posts

You go into your car settings Menu, then language, and change it to UK English.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Yesterday I'm pretty sure I heard our car's nav sliding from the female voice down to a lower-pitched male voice. It wasn't a sudden transition. Very weird, like in a horror movie.
Haha yeah we noticed the same thing yesterday...we have the British female voice...a few words yesterday she slurred into a lower-pitched voice mid-word and yes, it did sound a bit creepy! LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.