Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We struggled with the car's Google Maps app on a recent long trip. Switching drivers meant switching profiles, and the car seemed to require a few minutes after a profile switch for Google maps to start working again. We finally settled on just leaving the car set to my wife's profile, and using the door seat memory buttons to adjust the seat position when we switched drivers.

Annoyingly, Google Maps was very keen to suggest that we needed to add a charging stop, and suggested several, even while we were parked at a charger and charging at a high rate of speed.

We rebooted the infotainment system three times over 500 miles to get LTE working (once), un-freeze Google Maps (once), and un-freeze iHeart radio (once).

The software in this car needs about one more year in the oven.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sorry about your findings. I have not yet road tripped w/version 1.7 but when we did a prior version in June, i found that the trip system and its finding of chargers was not as good as i could do. At that point i just pre mapped the route using PlugShare/ABRP and then realistically i just connected the EA charger dots from Ohio to Tennessee. So, I just forced google to each next stop. I would plug in the next stop, avoid allowing it to add chargers, and watch the arrival % go from 0% (since it doesnt show negatives) and wait for it to hit 15% anticipated arrival, then we’d leave for the next charger.

I do know that there is the “ready to depart” message i get every time we charge our XC40 now, so there should be future compatibility with it altering us to move forward to the next stop. and the latest google maps updates does also permit for choosing specific brands, so you can filter just EA for example if you want. I look forward to our trip next month to the east coast, to see how it goes.

that said— we had the SAME issue with profiles and the XC40 P8 is my wife’s car so we just leave it in her profile 24/7 and use the 1/2 buttons just like you said. That seems the more reliable option for now. The software profile switching is slow, as you said — sadly —

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once we gave up on profiles during the trip, we were generally able to just set our final destination and let Google Maps select the chargers - but it chose poorly, selecting a 62.5kW Chargepoint instead of a 150kW EA for our first stop. After that I set GM's filters to ignore everything but EA, and watched its choices closely.

Some EA locations have two sets of chargers at different locations in the (e.g. Walmart) parking lot. We would complete our 100 mile driving leg by pulling into to the closest set of chargers, 150ft from the charging location shown on the car's map (presumably the other set of chargers), and all kinds of confusing messages would pop up saying that the battery was low and we need to find a charger, suggesting a charger 150ft away, and saying that the car is ready to depart for its next destination (the other charger set 150ft away). Once we figured it out, we just deleted the stop we were at, if the car didn't do it automatically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts