Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 days google maps has not worked for me as it could not locate me.. probably lost GPS connection. I rebooted home screen and left car overnight... no luck. Today i uninstalled googke maps via play store and then hit Update and it works again...

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
Right. I'm not sure what causes it (a Google bug or Volvo bug). A simpler fix has been to just 'Force Stop' the 'Maps' app and then relaunch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do you “force stop” the maps app? I have the same problem of no gps. I also seemed to have lost the LTE connection or ability to connect to WiFi

·
Registered
80 Posts
I experienced more than 10 times even with the June update.
Normally, I reset the system. But some time, it need multiple times reset... hope new update fix this issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same thing started happening to me a week or so ago. Really frustrating when something that worked so well for months just fails. Even more frustrating when it works sometimes. My solution has been a modem reset and a home screen reboot. Would like to hear if others have a better solution. Curious about the "force stop."

·
Registered
153 Posts
I believe the forced stop is the following:

• Settings / Applications / Show All Applications / Maps / Force Stop
Mine has not had this (or any other problems to date) but when I see something which may be useful one day I usually copy and paste it to a 'self help' page.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Mine has not had this (or any other problems to date) but when I see something which may be useful one day I usually copy and paste it to a 'self help' page.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear I have the forced stop option listed under Maps. I just have notifications, permissions, and storage & cache.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.8
61 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear I have the forced stop option listed under Maps. I just have notifications, permissions, and storage & cache.
I was able to do it today. Force Stop is in the upper right corner, not below.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So… I tried this and the problem came back when I drove to the foot of our driveway. I did it a second time and I am now letting the car sit in the driveway for a period. I’m I missing something?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
What is the exact symptom? It might be more than just an app issue. Have you ever tried rebooting the IHU and TCAM?

Some hidden functions:

Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system (IHU).
Front windshield defrost button:​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)
    • YMMV (some owners claim that this didn't work for them, but it does for many)
Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​
  • Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the exact symptom? It might be more than just an app issue. Have you ever tried rebooting the IHU and TCAM?

Some hidden functions:

Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​

• Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system (IHU).
Front windshield defrost button:​

• Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)
    • YMMV (some owners claim that this didn't work for them, but it does for many)
Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​

• Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.
The car is constantly lookin for the gps and we have no internet connection. I haven’t done the Media Play/Pause, but I have tried the others.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The car is constantly lookin for the gps and we have no internet connection. I haven’t done the Media Play/Pause, but I have tried the others.
How long/ how often have you had this problem?

Did you try the force stop method listed further above?

Also to clarify you have not gps and no lte? Sometimes the whole module goes down and needs fixing/bits replacing at a dealership.

Further question. Do you lock your doors over night. Locking seems to facilitate the car doing a better power down reset (not 100% confirmed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
How long/ how often have you had this problem?

Did you try the force stop method listed further above?

Also to clarify you have not gps and no lte? Sometimes the whole module goes down and needs fixing/bits replacing at a dealership.

Further question. Do you lock your doors over night. Locking seems to facilitate the car doing a better power down reset (not 100% confirmed).
We have had this problem for about one week. I locked the doors this morning when I stopped the maps and reset the Home Screen. I haven’t tried the force stop (didn’t know about it). We’ve owned the car for about 3 months.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
Ok, if both your GPS & LTE are out, then it's likely that your TCAM board went to sleep and won't wake up by itself (WiFi should also be out). I've heard about others having experienced the same type of thing and it magically comes back to life several days later. All speculation on my part, my belief is that it will be resurrected on the day that your car decides to do a thorough reboot which I think occurs once a week. One of the requirements is that the doors be locked in order for the deep sleep to occur. Otherwise, it may skip that week (I have no proof of that).

Your other option is to bring it to the dealer and have them scratch their heads trying all sorts of stuff until it is finally resolved. It may take a week or more for them to fix it. (or maybe even fix itself and think they've fixed it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, if both your GPS & LTE are out, then it's likely that your TCAM board went to sleep and won't wake up by itself (WiFi should also be out). I've heard about others having experienced the same type of thing and it magically comes back to life several days later. All speculation on my part, my belief is that it will be resurrected on the day that your car decides to do a thorough reboot which I think occurs once a week. One of the requirements is that the doors be locked in order for the deep sleep to occur. Otherwise, it may skip that week (I have no proof of that).

Your other option is to bring it to the dealer and have them scratch their heads trying all sorts of stuff until it is finally resolved. It may take a week or more for them to fix it. (or maybe even fix itself and think they've fixed it)
Thank you. We actually have a service appointment next week. And we just got notified that the updated software is becoming available at the dealer (1st). Until then, will keep trying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a followup: we brought the car to the dealer and they told us there was a connection issue with the board. We had a big storm yesterday, so the dealer lost their internet connection. the tech repaired the part and tethered his personal phone to the car so he could download the newest upgrade with XM radio etc. to the car. All is good. Dealer charges $0.00.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts