Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report on P8 Google Maps battery estimate.

I’m vacationing up in the mountains in Southern VT. Yesterday, I put in a trail-head location in the Volvo Google Maps app, and it reported that I would have 71% battery left on arrival. About ten miles away, the car reported that battery was down to 70%. I thought, ah well, the algorithm is off. Ten miles later at destination, the battery was indeed at 71%. Turned out there was so much downhill that the battery gained charge in the last ten miles, and Google+Volvo system knew how much it would gain. The terrain estimate was quite good!

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
Report on P8 Google Maps battery estimate.

I’m vacationing up in the mountains in Southern VT. Yesterday, I put in a trail-head location in the Volvo Google Maps app, and it reported that I would have 71% battery left on arrival. About ten miles away, the car reported that battery was down to 70%. I thought, ah well, the algorithm is off. Ten miles later at destination, the battery was indeed at 71%. Turned out there was so much downhill that the battery gained charge in the last ten miles, and Google+Volvo system knew how much it would gain. The terrain estimate was quite good!
Yes, I have found that out, as well. Must be a very good algorithm for that. And maybe it's my optimism, but I've seem to have noticed that you gain more charge going downhill than you lose going uphill with the same elevation delta. If indeed true, that's amazing to me.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
It also factors in how you have been driving. If I drive consistently it is very accurate. If I switch from a more aggressive mode to economical it over estimates the use as expected. My Garmin used to do the same but Only in the time to destination domain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been really impressed with the accuracy of this. It always seems to be right, even if it seems wrong to me, the end of the journey ends within 1% of what was quoted at the start. Certainly helps with peace of mind about the range to be able to trust this part of the system!

·
Registered
296 Posts
From my experience, it always estimate more than real.
Most of the case, it remains around 5% more than it's estimation.
Maybe it's due to my drive style.
Lots of factors here, but driving style is a good way to put it. When we did the drive from OH to TN (500+ miles each direction, over 1,100 miles in a week period) we found that we’d arrive with the same, up to, as you said, 5% extra — but freeway speeds tended to be closer to accurate. And this was during warm/summer months. We did 75MPH in mountains at various times, still getting net results that were at or above estimated.

I’ll be really curious to see how winter performance turns out for all of us, especially those of us in colder climates. Where I live (NE Ohio, snow belt) we will sit below freezing for a few months, and still do fair amount of driving. We have a big trip planned late December too, but south to a warmer climate. It will be very interesting to see if the estimate accounts for weather appropriately or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts