Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Google Home commands work!

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Greg S 
#1 ·
After reading @Jim 's comment on this forum that I can ask my car to control devices in my Google smart home, thought I'd give it a try. It worked! I was surprised as I'd tried it soon after getting the car, and it didn't work then. "OK Google, turn on the landscape lights" etc. If this functions like my phone, it will only work properly when the car is connected to my home's wifi LAN.

#5 · (Edited)
Actually I just tried it from my phone with wifi turned off (LTE only), and it worked fine, so maybe google home commands will work from the car while out and about too.

AFAIK this used to not work - I had to be on my home LAN to control my google home. Now no longer true. Oops.

#6 ·
For some reason, after V2.0 update when I say “turn on all lights” (which used to work) it now says “I can’t do that” or some such thing. I have to say “turn on driveway lights” or “turn on garage lights” to turn them on individually. When using Assistant on my phone, “turn on all lights” still works. Hmm, maybe the car thinks I’m trying to turn on all the CAR’s lights now? Wonder if there’s a way to rephrase it to get it to turn on all the Google Home lights? I must experiment when I have time.

#10 ·
Rehashing an old thread. I noticed when perusing apps in the car the other day that "Google Home Assistant" (IIRC that's what it's called) is available in the car. Wondering why it would be needed if you can successfully link your Google Assistant to your Google Home anyway. Has anyone tried installing the app, or even noticed it? As mentioned previously in this thread, we can already use the car's Google Assistant to "Hey Google, turn on the driveway lights" when we get home and it works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.