Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now many of you have experience using Google Assistant within the Android Automotive Operating System (AAOS). I use Google Assistant (GA) at home and have set up over 70 routines. My goal will be to utilize some of those routines in my future C40. Is anyone currently using routines in AAOS? If so, how do you like it?

It might be best to provide some basic understanding for those who are new to routines. Google Assistant is a powerful application in adapting voice commands to measurable actions. Although GA has been in operation for several years, it prefers to process structured commands. Unfortunately, humans do not always use structured speech. We also frequently want GA to perform multiple actions. Although GA has been enhanced to handle “following commands” without the need to state. “Hey Google” each time, it still lacks a full understanding of natural speech. These two issues are solved via routines.

GA has a few examples of routines which Volvo drivers may like to use. One of my favorites will be “Let’s go Home” command. This command would state multiple actions is a machine structured format and link them together for the desired result. The Volvo would set the cabin temperature to my preferred setting, find my Spotify playlist entitled, “Evening Jazz”, adjust the volume, engage the navigation to Home, plus much more as it links into my home to adjusts the Nest thermostat, Hue lighting, B&O sound system, etc.

I hope we encounter members who love this stuff! Haha!!

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Although I was hoping to use "Routines" as defined by Google Home in my C40, no luck!
As Google Assistant said, "Routines are not currently supported on this device".

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
Although I was hoping to use "Routines" as defined by Google Home in my C40, no luck!
As Google Assistant said, "Routines are not currently supported on this device".
Interesting…we’re still experimenting with phrases. It does struggle sometimes with things especially how you say them - for example “Set the fan speed to two”…doesn’t work great…(gets confused I think with “to” and “two”) so I now say “Set fan speed level 2”. I do like how you can just say “turn off the AC” or “turn off the fan”. Mine still struggles sometimes with my partner’s mother’s place - “Navigate to Shirley’s House” even though it’s a favourite in Google maps often takes me to some obscure restaurant 3 states away LOL! It’s been working well for our home lights - I just “turn on all lights” when we approach and it turns on the internal and external garage lights. We don’t have any other lights so easier than saying turn on individual lights.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
267 Posts
Interesting…we’re still experimenting with phrases. It does struggle sometimes with things especially how you say them - for example “Set the fan speed to two”…doesn’t work great…(gets confused I think with “to” and “two”) so I now say “Set fan speed level 2”. I do like how you can just say “turn off the AC” or “turn off the fan”. Mine still struggles sometimes with my partner’s mother’s place - “Navigate to Shirley’s House” even though it’s a favourite in Google maps often takes me to some obscure restaurant 3 states away LOL! It’s been working well for our home lights - I just “turn on all lights” when we approach and it turns on the internal and external garage lights. We don’t have any other lights so easier than saying turn on individual lights.
**** this car is so cool. My entire house is hooked to Google home, but I rarely need to do stuff from the car. I could however mess with my wife / kids / dogs.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
We’ve had the car for 8 months now, and I just saw a UK review where she said “Hey Google, turn off/on one pedal drive”…OMG I didn’t know you could do that. Will have to try it, although we always have OPD on. Now, if you could say “Hey Google, turn on steering assist” we wouldn’t complain so much about the steering wheel buttons no longer working to do that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.