Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my XC40 Recharge for four days now. Generally works great, but the Google Assistant has stopped responding to my commands. It recognizes "Hey Google", but does not seem to recognize the command that follows. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to reboot the system like you can reboot your phone? I encountered same problem during one of my earlier test drives in a different vehicle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had my XC40 Recharge for four days now. Generally works great, but the Google Assistant has stopped responding to my commands. It recognizes "Hey Google", but does not seem to recognize the command that follows. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to reboot the system like you can reboot your phone? I encountered same problem during one of my earlier test drives in a different vehicle.
Hold the button under the center display for about 20 seconds and the system will reboot. Hold past the screen cleaning screen that will come up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That happened to my Volvo. I called Volvo customer assist and received no help. They suggested dealership input. I self rectified after two days. I have no had the issue since the software upgrade. I did not try the reboot as I was unaware of this fix at the time of the issue.

When my problem occurred, Google assist would show the streaming colors, noting the request or command, but would never act or do anything. It would ultimately diconnect.

I would be curious if this is an ongoing problem. When I called, it seemed unique to the P8 as Google assist is integrated into the system.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We had a 24-hour loaner/rental of the XC40 Recharge (test drive pre-purchase) and the precise thing happened to us, @Bender -- and just like @Privacy Guy said, a quick reboot and all was good in the world. Suggest that @Homer try the same thing as that was a quick/easy fix. ("Hey Google" would bring up the on-screen dialogue, but then no "text" would parse there-after). Give it a shot!

·
Registered
80 Posts
That happened to my Volvo. I called Volvo customer assist and received no help. They suggested dealership input. I self rectified after two days. I have no had the issue since the software upgrade. I did not try the reboot as I was unaware of this fix at the time of the issue.

When my problem occurred, Google assist would show the streaming colors, noting the request or command, but would never act or do anything. It would ultimately diconnect.

I would be curious if this is an ongoing problem. When I called, it seemed unique to the P8 as Google assist is integrated into the system.
I had the same problem after I connected to my home wifi. I disconnected the home wifi and reconnected and Google started responding again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem after I connected to my home wifi. I disconnected the home wifi and reconnected and Google started responding again.
Does anyone know if a connection to home wifi is required? If not required, is there an advantage of using it? The manual implies OTA updates use the Volvo provided data line and you must be driving while the update is downloaded. (Installation requires the car be parked and locked.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone know if a connection to home wifi is required? If not required, is there an advantage of using it? The manual implies OTA updates use the Volvo provided data line and you must be driving while the update is downloaded. (Installation requires the car be parked and locked.)
Connection to home is not required. At least not for the time while cell data is free. I guess it will become more important in 4 yrs, or if there was some category of app that they decided wasn’t allowed on car data (like video). Since those apps don’t exist yet there seems to be no limits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Connection to home is not required. At least not for the time while cell data is free. I guess it will become more important in 4 yrs, or if there was some category of app that they decided wasn’t allowed on car data (like video). Since those apps don’t exist yet there seems to be no limits.
Thanks. I have an Xfinity dual band router that sends same network name at 5ghz and 2.5ghz. I have been unable to have the car recognize it. Looks like it is only looking for 2.5ghz band. I won't worry about since I have a 3 year lease and 4 years of data.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have separate names for different wifi networks. I confirmed that the car does see both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, but from my driveway the 5 GHz was spotty in terms of signal strength. I’ve since told the car to forget the networks because I saw that part in the manual about the car wanting to download over cellular.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have separate names for different wifi networks. I confirmed that the car does see both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, but from my driveway the 5 GHz was spotty in terms of signal strength. I’ve since told the car to forget the networks because I saw that part in the manual about the car wanting to download over cellular.
I have both a "FAMILY" and "GUEST" wi-fi network. Each of these SSIDs is configured for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. The only real difference is that "GUEST" has wireless isolation enabled (guests can connect to the Internet, but not to other devices in the house). For some reason my XC40 is only seeing the "GUEST" network. I'm using an Amplifi HD router & mesh points.

I think the "GUEST" wi-fi network will still work with the XC40 for updates (and eventually VOC) but no way to really test for sure. The 4G LTE signal is pretty weak inside my garage (house has a metal roof).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Back to the original post issue: once I was driving and the GA stopped recognizing my Okay Google. I changed the fan speed manually and when I got home I tested it and it still wouldn't recognize Hey Google or Okay Google. I pushed the icon for GA and the colored dots came up,. I asked it to do something and it responded correctly, performing the task. The next day it behaved normally. So be prepared to know where all the buttons or icons are and how to use them. You can't count on GA 100%.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When my GA went on the blink, pushing the GA icon did not help. It may have been serendipitous that certain actions make it come back to life. Although everything is now working, and no glitches since the software update, I am somewhat worried that this may recur.

Although, on my cell phone, the GA does at times fail.. This may be an issue of internet reliability.

I have seen people bemoan the fact the in the Mustang Mach E, there are no car controls until the system boots....leaving the driver without any options in the event of a slow or corrupted boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Google Assistant went on break two weeks ago and never returned. Here's the language from the dealer repair ticket :

"Confirmed Google wasn't functioning. Performed A TCAM reset. Reset failed. Reset vehicle internet connection. Google still didn't operate. Scanned for applicable code. No codes found. Opened tech case [676325]. Tech Line [Sweden] advised a battery reset with TCAM battery reset. Performed both resets. Google now operates."

It took a few days for this repair to get sorted out. Hope this helps to shorten the time lag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts