Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced non-responsive assistant after 1.7 update? “Hey Google” wakes up but it doesn’t register any question/request and after a few seconds it drops as if it had gone deaf. Can I go back to 1.6? Or how can I try and fix this? Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've had a similar issue from time to time - delayed or skipped Google response - both before and after 1.7 update. My guess is this is dependent on cell coverage/speed, which is pretty spotty here on our island. Google Assistant requires a stable connection to their servers. I'm pretty sure it does little or no speech processing locally, except for the "Hey Google" wake word.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but it was working normally up to the day I updated the software. Next time I went out it went deaf. And it isn’t just spotty afterwards, one day and all preceding days it worked, the next and all days following, it doesn’t. I’m not sure how to fix it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I’m not sure how to fix it.
Try rebooting the infotainment computer (IHU), if you haven't already done so. Press and hold the HOME button just under the main screen for 30 seconds. Wait until after the "screen cleaning mode" text disappears before releasing it.

Failing that, you can also try rebooting the telecommunications module (TCAM). Press and hold the Front Defrost button for 30 seconds, at least until you see the SOS icon (overhead panel) flash red. LTE signal should come back after rebooting.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I’ve had the same issue. It was not as much a problem in our XC40 pre1.7 but def seems more common now. But a reboot always seems to fix it. It is not a daily issue, but it does seem to exist. Hopefully the IHU reboot fixes it for you!

·
Registered
2022 Thunder Grey XC40 Recharge Twin
6 Posts
I purchased my car last month and experienced the "Hey Google" issue intermittently and when placing a call, no one was able to hear me. I did the soft 20 seconds reset several time but the issue did not go away. The dealership recommended for me to contact the Volvo Customer Care 1-800 number. The care representative told me to do a reset to factory settings. I did and completed all the steps to create a new profile and connections via bluetooth. Seems like it is working now, let see how much it lasts. The factory settings reset is under settings>system information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try rebooting the infotainment computer (IHU), if you haven't already done so. Press and hold the HOME button just under the main screen for 30 seconds. Wait until after the "screen cleaning mode" text disappears before releasing it.

Failing that, you can also try rebooting the telecommunications module (TCAM). Press and hold the Front Defrost button for 30 seconds, at least until you see the SOS icon (overhead panel) flash red. LTE signal should come back after rebooting.
Thank you much! The IHU Reboot worked. I appreciate the help. I didn’t know how to reboot. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Mine did this once after getting 1.7. Then settled back down … I love my slightly quirky car :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
What needs to happen is a major auto magazine needs to get hold of a AAOS Volvo for review and have it crap the bed like it does for so many of us on a regular basis. And then they need to EXCORIATE Volvo over it. Totally rake them over the coals and embarrass them. Cost them sales. Because otherwise I don’t see what makes this company put the effort and time into fixing this mess of a system.

How long do we have to deal with this? What fraction of your ownership/lease are you willing to put up with such a bug-ridden, unfinished system?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts