Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I took delivery this week of a Volvo XC40 P8 (full electric) with the Android infotainment unit.

I haven't been able to connect to my google account, since I get the following error message before being able to enter any credentials:
"Couldn't sign in, there was a problem communicating with Google servers, please try again later".

Would anyone have a recommendation as to what to do?

Thanks!

Vincent

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
Do you have the LTE connection symbol in the upper left of center panel? I wonder if the car doesn't have the cell modem activated?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the LTE connection symbol in the upper left of center panel? I wonder if the car doesn't have the cell modem activated?
Thanks for your reply.
I do, and I've used data to use google maps for example.
I've cleared apps cache/ storage, but no impact.

I just received a suggestion from dealership a moment ago to press max air ventilation for 30 seconds to reset the telco module (I'm. pretty sure that's not the issue) and then press the home button for 30 seconds to reset the IHU. Will try that tonight and report back.

Ofc, if anyone else has other suggestions, please feel free to share.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recos from the dealership didn't work.
So I did a factory reset of the IHU and was able to log in. All good now, except that the Amazon apps (music, audible, ...) are missing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that's more or less what I did, except it can be done on your own. There's a factory reset option in the settings. A bit scary, but it worked like a charm. Especially since the LTE connection remained infact (it was a pain to set up in the first place).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
I'm not terribly cell-tech knowledgeable, but I think it should automatically connect based on the SIM card, shouldn't it? I'd be a bit more surprised if one has to set something up intentionally than if it hooked up on it's own.

I'm happy to say I've not had any issues with my LTE, nothing to set up, nothing to change, "it just works".

Although now that I've said that, it'll cr*p out any moment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Finland. And there's a deal between Volvo and Deutsche Telekom there for free LTE. When I took possession of the car, we had to register an account using a specific URL to activate the sim card. Might be simpler in other regions.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I guess that's more or less what I did, except it can be done on your own. There's a factory reset option in the settings. A bit scary, but it worked like a charm. Especially since the LTE connection remained infact (it was a pain to set up in the first place).
Could you itemize what was scary in doing the factory reset especially what you did or had to do to by pass hard bits. It will serve as a guide for others :)

A “This is what you do and have to do when resetting and reinstalling” guide would be lovely if someone wants to write one. I would but my P8 is working so I am loathed to re roll the dice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was scary?
I guess factory-resetting a phone is not a big deal. But a car's operating system is more of a leap of faith as I assumed there could have been critical updates installed by the dealership. Also, i was worried that I'd lose the LTE connection (see below).

How did i go about it?
I pressed the factory reset option. I was shown something about apps and parameters being reset... I just thought f.ck it, let's give it a go. If that's useful, I'm pretty sure that the reset option is on the first level of the systems menu. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow. But if you want to do a factory reset, you'll find the option to do so super easily. From my experience, the risk is minimal. My main concern was about having to reset the LTE connection and access rights, but everything was fine after the reset (ie the connection worked fine). It had been a concern because of how complex it was to set up in the first place (complex activation process).

After performing the reset, the system booted again, and the first option I saw was to connect to my Google account and it went fine. So:
1. Resetting the system does fix issues
2. It didnt cause any complication it seems.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Thank you for the info :)

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
What was scary?
I guess factory-resetting a phone is not a big deal. But a car's operating system is more of a leap of faith as I assumed there could have been critical updates installed by the dealership. Also, i was worried that I'd lose the LTE connection (see below).

How did i go about it?
I pressed the factory reset option. I was shown something about apps and parameters being reset... I just thought f.ck it, let's give it a go. If that's useful, I'm pretty sure that the reset option is on the first level of the systems menu. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow. But if you want to do a factory reset, you'll find the option to do so super easily. From my experience, the risk is minimal. My main concern was about having to reset the LTE connection and access rights, but everything was fine after the reset (ie the connection worked fine). It had been a concern because of how complex it was to set up in the first place (complex activation process).

After performing the reset, the system booted again, and the first option I saw was to connect to my Google account and it went fine. So:
1. Resetting the system does fix issues
2. It didnt cause any complication it seems.
I did a factory reset after my initial attempt to pair my phone VOC app with my P8. The worst aspect is that the reset deleted all the user data (I.e., logins, profiles, stats, etc.) and reset settings to factory default (e.g., OPD turned off). So, I had to slog through set up using the funky Google keyboard. (BTW does anyone else find the on screen Google keyboard difficult to use? More times than not I wind up using the draw function. ) The factory reset flushed out the prior pairing with the VOC app. Having all the keys inside the vehicle and enabling the VOC permission switch seems to have made the difference between failure and working.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I hate the keyboard. Thankfully the voice recognition actually understands me!!

Darn so it made voc work … oh the temptation.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just got my P8 today and ot took like 4 times to get the car logged into Google, tried manually logging in and phone based (Google Pixel 3a XL) and finally 4th time it was in. I will say the wife's XC40 T5 with Sense is so much easier to get things done, this is clearly still a work in progress. Now to hunt around on my phone to give the car proper permissions , something I never had to do with my old car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on your new car. What do you mean with "giving the car proper permissions"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Separately, am I the only one getting this? Or is it expected and the ones able to connect to VOC are just lucky beta testers?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Congrats on your new car. What do you mean with "giving the car proper permissions"?
When I try to make a phone call by pressing voce na ds tell it to call someone it tells me I have to go into setting and enable something with notifications. I need to spend some time with the car tomorrow. I bought the car from out of state and sales guy that delivered it did not seem to know as much about it as he should have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I try to make a phone call by pressing voce na ds tell it to call someone it tells me I have to go into setting and enable something with notifications. I need to spend some time with the car tomorrow. I bought the car from out of state and sales guy that delivered it did not seem to know as much about it as he should have.
Got it. All the best with this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts