Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not available OTA yet, at least not for me (Tacoma, WA). You know how sometimes phone updates create new bugs/problems? It makes me a little nervous about applying a brand new update to my car. Let's hope they test these extremely thoroughly!

·
Registered
609 Posts
HHmmm...... I'm picking up my Car by 5pm Central today - it went in there for brake/rotor issues (they ended up replacing them). Service Mgr. texted me that they were performing software update that would take 1.5 hours -- I have NO idea what that "update" is.
When asked what it was, response was "....not sure, what we know is, when we plug it into our system, if there's any upgrades available and needed for your car, it will automatically require the update...." OK then....

Background: By all means, this wasn't a pro-active effort by the Dealer. When I'd initially brought the car in for Brake issue, when logging into the web to schedule for appointment, a huge RECALL message popped up citing R100078 which was an "old" Recall - I was surprised thinking that when I got my Car 3 weeks ago, I was told "Ohh all software have been updated" -- PLUS, the Dealer has legal responsibility to provide all updates before releasing a vehicle to the Customer -- that was when I asked the Service Mgr of how odd it was the Car was released to me with a Recall Message. He says recalls are tied into each unique VIN number, so if a Recall pops up, then most likely the car didn't have the latest software.

Anywho...... since the Volvo site has the "June update" citing the listed improvements, I shall test some out to validate so. Plus I will bring the print-out to Service Guy when I get there.

Tic toc...

·
Registered
609 Posts
When looking at the list of "June update" - majority of the so-called updates can't really be validated EXCEPT maybe.....

1) Driver display to support two display modes; Navigation and Calm. Car-centric is no longer available.
**** So the Navi display is the Map; Car-centric is the pic of the Car (if not properly locked etc, there's a visible red color on it); Calm is basically a blank display.
Having that said, if I cycle through the display Modes and ONLY two displays come up, then I can validate this update.

2) Pilot Assist changes.

• Switching between Pilot Assist modes (with or without steering assist) is now moved to the center display. The default setting is Pilot Assist with steering. Pilot Assist can be accessed via the settings page. Activation of Pilot Assist, speed setting and distance to vehicle ahead remain on the steering wheel controls. Icons for Pilot Assist and driver assistance have been updated in the driver display and the center display.
**** Well, I "think" I remember the previous Pilot Assist icon -- isn't that the icon of a steering wheel with a hand holding on the wheel ? I guess if they did "change" the icon, then I can validate that

·
Registered
23 Posts
In car Owners Manual did update at least! I was previously on version: 8.4.0 (20w38) and now am on version: 8.4.0 (21w24).

One item from the car owners manual is it indicates the "Car Centric" driving display mode is no longer available. ONLY Navigation and Calm. So key indicator of update being installed would be only having two display options on the display behind the wheel. At least that is a very obvious change.

The website someone linked to about upcoming changes also indicates that OTA update will be downloaded "while driving" and that it could take multiple hours (but will restart where it stops, so doesn't need to be one big long drive.) That's disconcerting if I have to drive the car to get an update vs it downloading after I park or overnight. Hopefully that's wrong and it will download while parked.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
When looking at the list of "June update" - majority of the so-called updates can't really be validated EXCEPT maybe.....

1) Driver display to support two display modes; Navigation and Calm. Car-centric is no longer available.
**** So the Navi display is the Map; Car-centric is the pic of the Car (if not properly locked etc, there's a visible red color on it); Calm is basically a blank display.
Why would Volvo eliminate the car-centric display in favor of the calm display? I think car-centric is more useful.

Also, I noticed that all this information about the June update was released on 6/15/21 on the Support site for Canada. The site for Volvo USA has no such notification. In fact, the USA site has no information about updates. It j ust has links to the manuals and a nearly useless FAQ section that conflates the XC40 Recharge Pure Electric with the XC40 Recharge PHEV (which isn’t even offered in 2021 in the Americas). More evidence that Volvo is fumbling the P8 rollout badly in the Americas.

Come on Anders Gustafsson, are you so oblivious to what’s happening with the P8 In the US? Riyhana Bey, is this the customer experience you are looking for with Volvo’s premier BEV in one of the largest markets in the world? Dean Shaw, is this what you call a world-class communications effort? I think these execs need to be held accountable for the poor introduction of the P8. Start reading the forums to get an idea of how badly you’ve done the “customer experience”.

·
Registered
609 Posts
In car Owners Manual did update at least! I was previously on version: 8.4.0 (20w38) and now am on version: 8.4.0 (21w24).

One item from the car owners manual is it indicates the "Car Centric" driving display mode is no longer available. ONLY Navigation and Calm. So key indicator of update being installed would be only having two display options on the display behind the wheel. At least that is a very obvious change.

The website someone linked to about upcoming changes also indicates that OTA update will be downloaded "while driving" and that it could take multiple hours (but will restart where it stops, so doesn't need to be one big long drive.) That's disconcerting if I have to drive the car to get an update vs it downloading after I park or overnight. Hopefully that's wrong and it will download while parked.
You know, I haven't even paid attention to the Owners Manual version. Will check on it when I get my car back later today. Also, should the display only shows TWO options, then I will send a picture of the Version/Kernel references which may not interpret to anything that we can decipher to begin with !
We shall see !

·
Registered
76 Posts
Owners manual version might be reading from the internet updates, so it’s just referencing the latest available version and not updating the app itself which looks to me like just a shell for the online content anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My menu changed and it appears my drives modes are down to two. Here is my build number:
I have the same Security, Kernel, and Build version from a picture I took May 20th when I got the car. This will be annoying if the About does not show any changes after OTA updates.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I may have posted too early, I did get a new App screen but now have the third drive mode back. My App screen now looks like the attachment and I am including my manual’s info screen.
What was the difference in the new App screen ? I couldn't tell ?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Time to run to the car and see if it has 2 views. Then to drive around if 3 to seeing it magically changes to two. Then give it a nap and see if it then changes to two.

Yay P8 only for you :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wonder if they do it while driving to avoid killing the 12V battery kind of like how your iphone wants to be plugged in before starting a big update?

1 - 20 of 189 Posts