Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If thieves have gotten into your car the lock on a glovebox is not going to stop them and will just get smashed …

Not an answer just a depressing reality.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
128 Posts
It's nice to be able to lock the glovebox when valet parking at a hospital or dinner etc.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It's nice to be able to lock the glovebox when valet parking at a hospital or dinner etc.
Right had not thought of that. I usually have the dog in the car so I get to park it for myself :)

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
Like others have answered, no.
Now, how many cars have a glovebox lock?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No lock. I would not use it as much anyway, having to take the plastic half cover plate off to access the physical key every time.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
128 Posts
No lock. I would not use it as much anyway, having to take the plastic half cover plate off to access the physical key every time.
It should be an electronic lock, just like everything else in the car!

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
357 Posts
We have a glove box?:unsure:
Joke aside, better do not leave anything valuable in the car. No matter how secure the parking lot is. Remember, could be the guests that are looking to score. Forget about the cameras no one cares if they want to get something. Perhaps I am paranoid but it is based on experience unfortunately.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there is a key slot in the glovebox (empty in our car) and previous models had a lockable glovebox that would use that key that was in there.

as a runner/biker I used the lockable glovebox on my previous car all the time. it wouldn't keep a determined thief out but someone who breaks in quickly to root around wouldn't bother if they were the smash and grab type. whether or not it would have been effective...who knows. it made me feel better which was worth it for me.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
Some previous ICE model XC40s had a lockable glove compartment - at least with optional high-end trim levels. I don't know if any EV model XC40 have this option. Mine does not (2021 P8 w/ Advanced Package).

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
It should be an electronic lock, just like everything else in the car!
<sarcasm> Yeah, that would work GREAT </sarcasm>.

"Gee, officer - I'd love to show you my license & registration but it's locked in the glovebox and I either need to reboot the car, or wait for the next OTA update to open it!"

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some previous ICE model XC40s had a lockable glove compartment - at least with optional high-end trim levels. I don't know if any EV model XC40 have this option. Mine does not (2021 P8 w/ Advanced Package).
Maybe one could get the parts from that model and install them in the P8.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts