Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep prescription sunglasses and my spare regular prescription glasses in the car. My previous cars had a compartment above the rear view mirror to store the sunglasses, but the Volvo doesn't have a dedicated storage location for glasses that I know of. To make it worse, my sunglasses, which I wear 90% of the time when driving, are quite dark and have black frames, so if I put them down almost anywhere in the car, I literally can't see them because the interior is so dark, at least in my garage or in underground parking. They blend in completely to the wireless phone charging area.The regular glasses have thin wire frames and clear lenses so they aren't very visible either. What do others do about this?

My solution for now is to put brightly colored beer cozies in the cup holders and keep the glasses in those. This works fine, but looks cheap and clogs up the cup holders for those rare occasions when I need them for drinks. The big compartment in the door doesn't work because the glasses slide around loose. Suggestions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I keep prescription sunglasses and my spare regular prescription glasses in the car. My previous cars had a compartment above the rear view mirror to store the sunglasses, but the Volvo doesn't have a dedicated storage location for glasses that I know of. To make it worse, my sunglasses, which I wear 90% of the time when driving, are quite dark and have black frames, so if I put them down almost anywhere in the car, I literally can't see them because the interior is so dark, at least in my garage or in underground parking. They blend in completely to the wireless phone charging area.The regular glasses have thin wire frames and clear lenses so they aren't very visible either. What do others do about this?

My solution for now is to put brightly colored beer cozies in the cup holders and keep the glasses in those. This works fine, but looks cheap and clogs up the cup holders for those rare occasions when I need them for drinks. The big compartment in the door doesn't work because the glasses slide around loose. Suggestions?
I put my clip on sunglasses in a case that fits in the pocket adjacent to the driver's right leg on the left side of the center console .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put my clip on sunglasses in a case that fits in the pocket adjacent to the driver's right leg on the left side of the center console .
This is a winner, at least until I experience a problem. I didn't even know that pocket was there, again because it's so dark inside the car when in the garage even with the car's interior light. I have an old glasses case with a shirt pocket clip on it. It seems to hold firmly enough to that pocket edge and the case doesn't get in the way of the leg. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Is there not a draw under the drivers seat? Will it fit in them? There is also an expensive glasses accessory they can mount 200+130 or something like that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there not a draw under the drivers seat? Will it fit in them? There is also an expensive glasses accessory they can mount 200+130 or something like that.
They have to be reachable with one hand when seated normally driving, not bent over. I sometimes have to switch glasses on the move, like when I emerge from underground parking into bright sun. The dark glasses are too dark to see in the underground garage at the clinic where I go, so just as I emerge from the up ramp into sun I need to make a seamless swap. I think that spot by my right leg Privacy Guy mentioned will work fine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
There is a Sunglass holder accessory to be attached to the handle on Drivers side. The handle will be removed and holder gets attached. I’ve ordered that for $50 from Volvo directly. I believe it comes in Charcoal and Blonde given it’s a star dark part across other models.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a Sunglass holder accessory to be attached to the handle on Drivers side. The handle will be removed and holder gets attached. I’ve ordered that for $50 from Volvo directly. I believe it comes in Charcoal and Blonde given it’s a star dark part across other models.
We don't have a drawer under the seat of the P8 as in the ICE version that I saw when I placed my deposit 20 months ago. Also you should verify the glass holder that replaces the driver grap handle fits the P8. I think I recall it would not work with with the sun roof due to clearance issues. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We don't have a drawer under the seat of the P8 as in the ICE version that I saw when I placed my deposit 20 months ago. Also you should verify the glass holder that replaces the driver grap handle fits the P8. I think I recall it would not work with with the sun roof due to clearance issues. I could be wrong.
The Dealer is uneducated on these, they were not even aware of the sun glsss accessory to begin with. But, according to their site for XC40 specific accessory, the holder came up. We shall see, once it gets here and successfully attach (or not) will provide more feedback to share

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Wow … that is one special warning …

·
Registered
609 Posts
Funny. Having the sunroof, I added the eyeglass holder before seeing the warning, and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything.
Phew. By looking at it, the removal of the handle didn’t seem to pull anything out to the bare bone of the car structure. Rather, the “foundation” was still intact.
Regardless thank you everyone of these info! It’s always better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I found this whilst looking at what I can get for Margo :p

This also looked nifty

·
Registered
243 Posts
I installed Volvo's XC40 sunglasses holder this morning and don't think it's going to work out, unless my wife's fingers are substantially skinnier than mine. The "hump" of the panoramic sunroof blocks my fingers from touching the little recess that lets you swing the holder down to access the glasses.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
97 Posts
I installed Volvo's XC40 sunglasses holder this morning and don't think it's going to work out, unless my wife's fingers are substantially skinnier than mine. The "hump" of the panoramic sunroof blocks my fingers from touching the little recess that lets you swing the holder down to access the glasses.
Maybe you could attach something like a loop of ribbon through the recess so it would be easier to pull open.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same for me. And also, my sunglasses don’t fit in it. Maybe it can be used for something else. Or we can give them to somebody with skinny fingers and narrow sunglasses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ash tray compartment in the open position to hold sun glasses and cleaning cloth seems to work too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts