Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know each state is different and all incentives may have some qualifiers - however here is what I have so far in California (San Diego) please add anything I’m missing
1). $1500 “Clean Fuel Rewards”. Dealer should take this off during the transactions as they apply for the rebate and will get the check. (No income limits)
2) California EPA - Center for Sustainable Energy $2,000 - you will to apply and you will get a number while they review. Wait to complete once you purchase - much easier.
3) Federal tax credit - up to $7500 depending on tax liability and income phase out
4) There is the California Low income credit but you will either get that or #3 since if you have no taxes, you’ll get it this way.
5) If you’re a first responder or teacher you can also get something $1000 from SDGE
6) If you install a charging station Federal tax infrastructure credit of $1000
7) SDGE offers has a time of energy use if you don’t have solar or enough to cover it.

If anyone knows of other incentives, rebates..... please add.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know each state is different and all incentives may have some qualifiers - however here is what I have so far in California (San Diego) please add anything I’m missing
1). $1500 “Clean Fuel Rewards”. Dealer should take this off during the transactions as they apply for the rebate and will get the check. (No income limits)
2) California EPA - Center for Sustainable Energy $2,000 - you will to apply and you will get a number while they review. Wait to complete once you purchase - much easier.
3) Federal tax credit - up to $7500 depending on tax liability and income phase out
4) There is the California Low income credit but you will either get that or #3 since if you have no taxes, you’ll get it this way.
5) If you’re a first responder or teacher you can also get something $1000 from SDGE
6) If you install a charging station Federal tax infrastructure credit of $1000
7) SDGE offers has a time of energy use if you don’t have solar or enough to cover it.

If anyone knows of other incentives, rebates..... please add.
The infrastructure credit is not $1000. It is 30% of the installation costs, up to a maximum of $1000.

·
Registered
2022 XC 40 Recharge Twin Plus, Denim Blue
46 Posts
Great info, I’m in CA and had never heard of #2! Thanks!

Worth adding the availability of HOV decals. Definitely a life-improving incentive, even if not cash.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Wa state rewards you by charging you extra on your car tabs as you are not buying gas …

Oh wait did you mean positive rewards :)

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wa state rewards you by charging you extra on your car tabs as you are not buying gas …

Oh wait did you mean positive rewards :)
😂. In Ohio it’s an extra $200/year for registration costs. I understand charging extra for road maintenance, but $200 is a lot of gas tax in Ohio. The sad thing is they charge the same $200 on PHEV and $100 on hybrids…..based on that, I’m getting away lucky with $200 for pure EV.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
😂. In Ohio it’s an extra $200/year for registration costs. I understand charging extra for road maintenance, but $200 is a lot of gas tax in Ohio. The sad thing is they charge the same $200 on PHEV and $100 on hybrids…..based on that, I’m getting away lucky with $200 for pure EV.
Georgia is like the same ballpark. Really stupid way to discourage EV ownership. The plus side is in 2200 miles I have spent less than $10 in electricity and gas prices here are up 20 cents in last 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Georgia is like the same ballpark. Really stupid way to discourage EV ownership. The plus side is in 2200 miles I have spent less than $10 in electricity and gas prices here are up 20 cents in last 2-3 weeks.
I’m not excited about next year when we renew….getting hit for the Tesla and Volvo, so there goes $400 plus the regular fees for registration. But no more gas stations for us or dealing with any of the issues of having an ICE car.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Anyone knows how the new proposed tax benefits for EV purchases benefit or affect those purchased this year?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I thought the new tax credit (not the 7.5k we got) was for evs made in America? I could be wrong.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I thought the new tax credit (not the 7.5k we got) was for evs made in America? I could be wrong.
Right now there are two portions of it -- so the $7500 base stays -- but another $4,500 for unionized USA built vehicles, and another $500 for USA built battery packs. So up to $5k extra but only for domestic cars/batteries. And let's remember it hasn't yet passed -- and could see many more iterations over the next 60 days.

·
Registered
548 Posts
And the P8 is not made in America for now.
Correct. Based on the current potential changes the $7500 wont change for the XC40. This is also why I bought the Polestar 2 now rather than waiting. It is made in China, so it too would not get any benefit if the new laws pass "as is" -- that said, big non-US auto makers (eg: Toyota) are really lobbying for the laws to change, some even saying it does not match the agreements made prior during Int'l discussions. We'll see where that ends up --

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
983 Posts
Article in May......
The awesome CA benefits must be to deter Californians from migrating to TX! ;) Tons of migration past years due to several HQs moving here. I'm curious to see how much migration to Boca Chica when EM opens up the town of Starbase. Super cool !

Font Art Brand Graphics Logo

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am in GA and they went from a $2500 tax incentive a few years back to now no incentive and liek $200+ registration surcharge to make up for the gas taxes they no longer get, which is stupid. We like to penalize people for doing the right thing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Same here in Ohio, @He Keith —- a $200 charge for plug in cars (BEV/PHEV) and $100 for mild hybrid no plug cars. I get that the gasoline is taxed for road work but i think it would be better to just NOT tax the gas and then increase ALL registrations regardless of fuel type. That seems more level playing field.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I forgot there is a tax incentive in wa state but only for cheaper cars which makes sense and I do not begrudge it.

Better to get more evs on the road than to just to reward those that can afford it.

Of course it does not make sense why they would then charge the same people yearly and de incentivize them but … perhaps they should only charge the extra to those that got a more expensive car.

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
498 Posts
Same here in Ohio, @He Keith —- a $200 charge for plug in cars (BEV/PHEV) and $100 for mild hybrid no plug cars. I get that the gasoline is taxed for road work but i think it would be better to just NOT tax the gas and then increase ALL registrations regardless of fuel type. That seems more level playing field.
I fully agree with this. I think $200 is a little excessive....that's a lot of miles if you were paying tax on gas. It's even worse for PHEV's...they're paying gas tax and getting rocked the $200.

• Sad
Reactions: arijaycomet
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.