Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage was wired for a Blink EVSE back in 2011 for my new Leaf. The Blink was on the right side which was fine for the Leaf and much easier to install because of the workbench and washer/dryer on the left. Now with the 240V socket on the wrong side for Volvo, I have to back in to charge. Technically I can do it when facing forward if I pull in way on the right side, but only at risk of scratching up the paint on the roof of the car dragging the heavy cable over the top. The problem is that it's a tight fit. If I pull in too far, I cut off access from the house to the wash/dryer workbench area and if not far enough the garage door will come down on the car. Also, there's lots of stuff on both sides that causes the warning system to sound alarms at me as I back in, and visibility isn't good coming from the bright sun to the dark garage, especially with sunglasses on. My solution was to paint stripes on the floor of the garage so that the camera system recognizes the stripes and stops screaming at me as I back in. I've tested it pulling in forward and the bird's-eye view camera system sees it perfectly and I can place the car perfectly. I haven't tried it backing in yet, but if nothing else, it will make it easier for me to judge my positioning. I don't expect others here will need to do it, but I'm rather proud I thought of it. My butt is still sore from all the squatting. I used masking tape, spray paint, and a sort of stencil made from a cardboard box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My garage was wired for a Blink EVSE back in 2011 for my new Leaf. The Blink was on the right side which was fine for the Leaf and much easier to install because of the workbench and washer/dryer on the left. Now with the 240V socket on the wrong side for Volvo, I have to back in to charge. Technically I can do it when facing forward if I pull in way on the right side, but only at risk of scratching up the paint on the roof of the car dragging the heavy cable over the top. The problem is that it's a tight fit. If I pull in too far, I cut off access from the house to the wash/dryer workbench area and if not far enough the garage door will come down on the car. Also, there's lots of stuff on both sides that causes the warning system to sound alarms at me as I back in, and visibility isn't good coming from the bright sun to the dark garage, especially with sunglasses on. My solution was to paint stripes on the floor of the garage so that the camera system recognizes the stripes and stops screaming at me as I back in. I've tested it pulling in forward and the bird's-eye view camera system sees it perfectly and I can place the car perfectly. I haven't tried it backing in yet, but if nothing else, it will make it easier for me to judge my positioning. I don't expect others here will need to do it, but I'm rather proud I thought of it. My butt is still sore from all the squatting. I used masking tape, spray paint, and a sort of stencil made from a cardboard box.
View attachment 658
Cool! I've been thinking about doing something similar (but with tape) indicating the ideal stopping place, akin to the tarmac markings at the airport gates. It would be great if you captured some screenshots or video of the main display while parking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 658
I installed a laser beam accessory which connects to my garage door opener and shoots a red light from the ceiling onto the dash of the car. You park the way you want and then adjust the beam to hit a spot on the dash. As you park the next time you adjust your position so the laser light hits the same spot on the dash.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed a laser beam accessory which connects to my garage door opener and shoots a red light from the ceiling onto the dash of the car. You park the way you want and then adjust the beam to hit a spot on the dash. As you park the next time you adjust your position so the laser light hits the same spot on the dash.
That's a super cool idea. I have something similar but lower tech. If you look in the photo I posted, you can see a yellow tennis ball hanging near the top of the picture. When it just touches the windshield, I'm in exactly the right amount. I mounted that for the Leaf, but it's exactly right for the Volvo, too. So I don't need the stripes when I pull in forward. But it's useless when backing in. It ends up along the driver's side almost up to where the rear seat passenger sits.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's a super cool idea. I have something similar but lower tech. If you look in the photo I posted, you can see a yellow tennis ball hanging near the top of the picture. When it just touches the windshield, I'm in exactly the right amount. I mounted that for the Leaf, but it's exactly right for the Volvo, too. So I don't need the stripes when I pull in forward. But it's useless when backing in. It ends up along the driver's side almost up to where the rear seat passenger sits.
Tennis ball on a string hanging from the ceiling. When you hit the ball on your windshield, it's time to stop.

That's what aircraft jets use to park at discharge ramps.

Low tech and cheap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tennis ball on a string hanging from the ceiling. When you hit the ball on your windshield, it's time to stop.

That's what aircraft jets use to park at discharge ramps.

Low tech and cheap.
I need to also be concerned with left and right orientation due to tight fit between wall and my other car so the laser light on the dash worked best for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I need to also be concerned with left and right orientation due to tight fit between wall and my other car so the laser light on the dash worked best for me.
I had trouble seeing the laser and went back to a hanging ping-pong ball centered over the steering wheel. On my Model 3, I just use the car's backup camera to make sure the rear end has cleared the line where the garage door falls.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the stripes today to back in for the first time. It worked perfectly. The orange stripes that display in the backup camera view lined up right on the white lines and the alarms system didn't go off at all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anyone noticed that sometimes the alarms freak out ( same spot every time) it’s large amounts of space and yet I managed to hit something on the side (wheel) whilst going very slowly with no alarm at a different place.

Wonder if the wheel is too low for lidar coverage. Or too far away from the camera for it to see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i’m pretty sure the alarms for obstacles are range detectors (little circles in the bumpers), not the cameras. The cameras can help identify things (like lines), but are more for you to see what might be there and secondarily help the range detectors. The range detectors need a relatively tall thing to trigger them given how they are installed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i’m pretty sure the alarms for obstacles are range detectors (little circles in the bumpers), not the cameras. The cameras can help identify things (like lines), but are more for you to see what might be there and secondarily help the range detectors. The range detectors need a relatively tall thing to trigger them given how they are installed.
I believe the proximity sensors use ultrasound waves - basically "sonar".

·
Registered
546 Posts
Interesting. I had assumed they were lidar or radar. The reason being that cars can set of laser detectors and radar detectors. Ultrasound would be nifty … the car being part bar/sub :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts