Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I absolutely love the XC40 & have been planning a purchase for over a year now--at this point I'll be going with a 2022 likely sometime in the next 6 months. Initially I put off purchase because my husband & I were going to do Overseas Delivery. Once Covid hit & travel got complicated I decided to wait it out--my little Subaru is fine & I'm slowly mourning what will be a transition from lifetime 5-speed driving :). Now, in putting it off I've become intrigued with the Recharge. It would remove OSD as an option, but I'm open to it.

This will be my first ever brand new vehicle & I'm super excited but it also is definitely a splurge, more so if I go with the Recharge. I'm trying to weigh the adventure that OSD brings with the ICE, cost effectiveness of ICE vs Recharge (I only commute 3mi to work) and also the potential bugs that come with early adoption for the Recharge.

If you had to do it over again would you choose your Recharge?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi! I absolutely love the XC40 & have been planning a purchase for over a year now--at this point I'll be going with a 2022 likely sometime in the next 6 months. Initially I put off purchase because my husband & I were going to do Overseas Delivery. Once Covid hit & travel got complicated I decided to wait it out--my little Subaru is fine & I'm slowly mourning what will be a transition from lifetime 5-speed driving :). Now, in putting it off I've become intrigued with the Recharge. It would remove OSD as an option, but I'm open to it.

This will be my first ever brand new vehicle & I'm super excited but it also is definitely a splurge, more so if I go with the Recharge. I'm trying to weigh the adventure that OSD brings with the ICE, cost effectiveness of ICE vs Recharge (I only commute 3mi to work) and also the potential bugs that come with early adoption for the Recharge.

If you had to do it over again would you choose your Recharge?
Definitely Recharge.!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Almost certainly the Recharge unless you don't have a garage (or driveway) for charging AND you regularly take long trips.

Check out Plugshare and A Better Route Planner to see how an EV would fit into your lifestyle.

Reactions: BC_CT

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Recharge if they can afford it. Once you opd for a few hours you will never look back. After driving ev for a while you will never want to go back to an ice.

Amazingly one pedal on the ev is more fun than manual transmission …. Which is an odd thing to say as it is almost the opposite on complexity.

Good luck

Reactions: BC_CT

·
Registered
104 Posts
Recharge if they can afford it. Once you opd for a few hours you will never look back. After driving ev for a while you will never want to go back to an ice.

Amazingly one pedal on the ev is more fun than manual transmission …. Which is an odd thing to say as it is almost the opposite on complexity.

Good luck
Very intrigued by this haha. I despise opd and can't imagine how it compares to manual. I also consider it a safety hazard. The only thing I can agree with is the recharge is the right choice for this car. It's so smooth and luxurious. For a luxury SUV it's by far the better choice. For a sports car I would still go ICE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe I can help, since I have both a XC40 ICE Momentum and a XC40 Recharge.

After you drive the recharge, your old gas car becomes...a turtle. Yes, electric is smarter and much more fun to drive. And 400km of range lasts a week for me.

Google dashboard is fine for me, and I have a Volvo wallbox at home.

So far I am happy to be a 1st generation owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll be able to charge at home & I live in southern New England so there's a decent charger network. My husband has a company car so we have a distance vehicle if we don't feel like dealing with charging on longer trips. I've test driven the ICE, but not the Recharge--sounds like that may be my next step. I have definitely read lots of good about the Recharge, but for those where it's been bad it seems to really be terrible & I'm not sure I have the patience for that. At this stage I'm figuring I don't know the difference on feel between ICE & the Recharge--so ignorance is bliss?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
There is also the joy of being in a small space with your car and not feeling like it is trying to kill you if the engine is on. This is especially nice when I pull forward a bit and the dog jumps in. Used to have to be careful to turn off so no exhaust fumes :)

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Way before the world of EVs, we were all "fine and happy" with ICEs -- therefore, if there's an opportunity to experience a different driving experience, the torgue.... AND you have an ICE as a back-up for longer distance driving, descent amount of public charges around your go-to places, the ability to charge at home at your convenience, DEFINITELY GO FOR IT ! You only live once 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way before the world of EVs, we were all "fine and happy" with ICEs -- therefore, if there's an opportunity to experience a different driving experience, the torgue.... AND you have an ICE as a back-up for longer distance driving, descent amount of public charges around your go-to places, the ability to charge at home at your convenience, DEFINITELY GO FOR IT ! You only live once 😁
Very true--all of it. I'm definitely going to get to the local dealer soon & arrange a test drive...then keep putting away my pennies for the extra cost of a Recharge so I can order early next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts