Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played around with guessing voice commands but I'd love to see a full list of what car-related can be controlled by voice.

Navigate to <place> obviously works.
I figured out one can control climate temp, seat & steering wheel heating.
But not everything is intuitive. After turning on driver seat and steering wheel heaters I said "turn off all heaters" and it proceeded to turn off every Nest thermostat in my house.

I tried to toggle some of the driving settings like "turn on one pedal drive" or change the steering to firm but all it did was do a web search.

Is there a full list somewhere of everything car related that can be controlled by voice besides navigation & climate/heat related?

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
Time for a crowd-sourced wiki, I guess. My latest discoveries:

"Hey Google, turn on the defroster"
<Google: "Turning on the defroster">

"Hey Google, turn on the rear defroster"
<Google: "Turning on the defroster for the back">

Really? "Defroster for the back"? Who knew? Good news is - they both work!

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
I tried to toggle some of the driving settings like "turn on one pedal drive" or change the steering to firm but all it did was do a web search.
I'm pretty certain that Google will never be allowed to control ANYTHING that's actually driving-control or safety-related. Just media, navigation, climate, and energy usage.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Set fan speed <number>

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
348 Posts
I'm pretty certain that Google will never be allowed to control ANYTHING that's actually driving-control or safety-related. Just media, navigation, climate, and energy usage.
That seems annoying for stuff that might be buried too deeply in the menus. Any chance you can just tell it to display a specific menu or sub-menu?

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Here's what the manual says:

Besides asking the Assistant for information searched for via Google, searching for weather forecasts or managing your Google Calender, a number of in-car functions can be controlled using voice commands. These include:
  • media
  • FM radio
  • phone and text messaging
  • navigation via Google Maps
  • climate

and the link:

And you can also ask it to tell jokes or search other Google type info.

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
46 Posts
Reactions: Luckycharms

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
The thing I can't figure out is how to get the air to go to the vents or feet by voice command.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
71 Posts
I've noticed when I ask the car to raise the fan, Google Assistant responds to say "turning up the fan speed by 1" but it really raises it up to 4. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
#1 answer: Hey Google, what’s my driving range? Or how far can I go on a charge?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It can also do simple math. I sometimes ask it/her, what’s [remaining range] divided by [SOC] to get the “full battery” range. This helps me benchmark against the EPA range.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
LOL When I ask google what my driving range is I usually get directions to the nearest driving range...
Haha yeah, we’ve had a few odd replies to “what’s my range/driving range” so we usually do the “how far can I go on a charge” now. Seems more consistent in the reply! Just don’t ask “how fast am I going?” IIRC it came up with something like “I’m faster than you are - I move at the speed of light!”

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
46 Posts
I've noticed when I ask the car to raise the fan, Google Assistant responds to say "turning up the fan speed by 1" but it really raises it up to 4. Has anyone else noticed this?
The default fan speed in my '22 is 3, so it makes sense to me that just asking Google to increase the speed results in the fans being set to 4

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
65 Posts
Time for a crowd-sourced wiki, I guess. My latest discoveries:

"Hey Google, turn on the defroster"
<Google: "Turning on the defroster">

"Hey Google, turn on the rear defroster"
<Google: "Turning on the defroster for the back">

Really? "Defroster for the back"? Who knew? Good news is - they both work!
Thank you for sharing, I will try that new voice command. (y) :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
71 Posts
The default fan speed in my '22 is 3, so it makes sense to me that just asking Google to increase the speed results in the fans being set to 4
Strange. When I give this command it's usually turned off, so I would expect if it says "Raising fan by 1" it would go from zero to 1. Maybe I should just say turn on fan and see what it does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts