Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone using a Platypus or similar front plate holder that screws into the tow hook? I'm wondering if that would be a feasible alternative to screw-in mounting, or if it would interfere with any of the sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually just installed it! And yes it does interfere. At least for now.

Due to the curve of the bumper and length of the threaded shaft (a bit short) it interferes with the parking sensor above the fog light.

this means whenever you attempt to drive it, it beeps annoyingly at you and the infotainment system shows a red bar on that corner. Stopping at a stop light the 360 camera view comes on as well and beeps.

i am reaching out to cravenspeed tomorrow with pictures to discuss options. I suspect adding a bend to the plate and bracket will resolve the issue but that may not be optimal.

Update: Just sent Craven Speed an email with the pictures to show the interference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i actually bought the craven too, i just had to bend the tabs out of the way so that it isn't blocked anymore. works well and no issues for the last 2 weeks. the downside is that the plate is at a weird angle .. and makes the car look off. but whatever. no other option right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i actually bought the craven too, i just had to bend the tabs out of the way so that it isn't blocked anymore. works well and no issues for the last 2 weeks. the downside is that the plate is at a weird angle .. and makes the car look off. but whatever. no other option right now.
pics? Trying to understand “bending the tabs”.

·
Registered
18 Posts
pics? Trying to understand “bending the tabs”.
sorry I didn't type that right. i just bent the center tab mount, but you can do indirectly by mounting the plate and moving the plate to the left. since the plate is connected to the center tab, it bends it. move it left-inwards towards the sensor so that it is out of its line of sight. will get pics later today.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
749 Posts
In TX, license plate on front and back is actually a requirement. However, for past few years, many, many cars (including Lexus with a large front grill from top to bottom, followed by Teslas...) the front plate hasn't been seen anymore. When I was pulled over for speeding (shocking!) in Jul, I could have sworn the Officer would give me a ticket for not having the front plate as well (in theory, he could if he wanted to).....BUT he didn't.

I'd researched previously, and had bumped into a "sticker" the size of an actual plate (looks like an actual plate) to apply on the bumper vs. drilling permanent holes or having bending issues. BUT, I couldn't find anything anywhere to suggest it's "acceptable".

Anyone ? Thoughts ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would heavy duty double sided tape work? It would not be fun to remove (hopefully the solvent for the adhesive would not eat the paint and destroy the plastic).

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
749 Posts
Just found the link.....it's vinyl adhesive that prints exactly to the size of actual plate, they can also customize it smaller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually just installed it! And yes it does interfere. At least for now.

Due to the curve of the bumper and length of the threaded shaft (a bit short) it interferes with the parking sensor above the fog light.

this means whenever you attempt to drive it, it beeps annoyingly at you and the infotainment system shows a red bar on that corner. Stopping at a stop light the 360 camera view comes on as well and beeps.

i am reaching out to cravenspeed tomorrow with pictures to discuss options. I suspect adding a bend to the plate and bracket will resolve the issue but that may not be optimal.

Update: Just sent Craven Speed an email with the pictures to show the interference.
Just heard back from Craven (such nice people!) They are sending an extension arm out to shift the plate up and towards the center of the vehicle so it no longer interferes with the sensor. i'm not sure if they'll update the listing on the site but if they have a separate item for it i'll link it here in the forum.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
My car had a front plate holder when we got it. Kinda wished I was in a state that did not require it but oh well.

I still notice lots of Tesla’s without front plates but I would rather not get pulled over for it.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
113 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This looks promising! But, I don't see an XC40 specific mount. Did you get another Volvo model mount that fit our cars?
I don't have an XC40 yet, but I would be surprised if it were different from the XC60 mount. Someone who actually has an XC40 should probably contact the vendor and ask.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
113 Posts
I don't have an XC40 yet, but I would be surprised if it were different from the XC60 mount. Someone who actually has an XC40 should probably contact the vendor and ask.
Thanks. I think I might try this one on Amazon. I can easily return it if it doesn't work. Amazon.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts