Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XC-40 developed a vibration under braking at highway speeds (above 45 mph) after about 9,000 miles. About half the miles on this car include mountain driving (I live in Colorado). The dealer replaced both front rotors under warranty: problem fixed, for now. I am wondering if this was a one-off issue or if this is a design flaw: are the brake rotors sturdy enough for extended mountain driving? I noticed when I use cruise control to maintain speed on long downhills, engine braking is often insufficient to maintain speed and is supplemented with extended automatic light appliaction of the brakes. I am wondering if this generates too much heat in the brakes and is part of the issue. Will post in this forum if the problem reappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Front rotors warped and replaced under warranty at 11k miles. Vibration when braking gone for now. My theory is the rotors are too small for the dynamics and weight of the vehicle. Small when compared to my GT350 rotors...

·
165 Posts
Yes, mine were warped by 25k miles and replaced under warranty x 4. I still have vibration apparently from tire wear. Dealer is taking the approach that "it's just the tires" and doesn't seem to understand that something has caused the problematic tire wear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, how long is the warranty on the breaks? From my experience with other manufactures, breaks are a wearable item and does not have much of a warranty on warped rotors after 1 year of ownership.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brakes on mine have been vibrating since 8,000 miles. Volvo just replaced them today at 14,000 miles. Said this was a known issue. They are wearable item but malfunctioning at this few miles is a problem. After finding out they won’t cover a leather seat issue, I’m ready to move on from Volvo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts