Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says from the 3rd to the 6th (yes I am tardy posting) electrify America is free. Roll up. Plug in. And it initiates charge and fills you up. With no other input.

Enjoy.

ps posted while the car charges :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
46 Posts
As the title says from the 3rd to the 6th (yes I am tardy posting) electrify America is free. Roll up. Plug in. And it initiates charge and fills you up. With no other input.

Enjoy.

ps posted while the car charges :)
You mean for Volvo XC EV's too ! Whoaaa!!!! I thought they (Electrify A.) are for the new 2022 XC40 Recharge only? They even have the DC fast 150kw and 300kw fast charge. Thanks for the heads up.(y):giggle:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been using ea as my prime charger for my P8 since I got it in may. They are the only chargers I used on a 1200 mile trip. They are also the only 150s I have found.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
so I don’t think the 300 kW charger would make any difference.
Don't forget that there are usually 2 charging cables per unit. If the charging station is ever busy, the 150kW would be divided and become a 75kW and the 300kW would become a150kW.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Don't forget that there are usually 2 charging cables per unit. If the charging station is ever busy, the 150kW would be divided and become a 75kW and the 300kW would become a150kW.
Incorrect. The EA chargers Can only use one arm/cable at a time. Hence why you’ll see only 1 parking space per tower. Unlike the Tesla chargers that are 1A/1B sharing a leg, 2A/2B sharing a leg, etc (but each have unique 1-cable towers)—- EA doesn’t do any line-sharing. But once you use one of the two cables at a tower, the other cable is no-operable during that session.

·
Registered
295 Posts
PS: Regarding the 150kW vs 350kW towers at EA stations. Since our cars can only handle 150kW max it does not matter which cable/station you use; you will never get more than ~150kW (+/-) however if you arrive at a station you should TRY to use the 150kW stations first. Almost every EA station has:

1 charger that is 150kW with a CCS and CHAdeMO
2 chargers that are 150kW with 2 CCS cables
1 charger that is 350kW with 2 CCS cables

The first one that has a CHAdeMO option is useful for cars that require this connector (ex: Nissan Leaf). If you use this charger, and then a Leaf shows up, they’d have to wait for you to finish your session before they can start. So good charging etiquette would be to not use this stall unless it was your only option.

The last one in my list, that goes 350 kW, would be beneficial for a Porsche Taycan/Audi eTron GT, both which can charge up to 350kW with the latest software update (270kW prior). Those cars would prefer that tower over 150kW to get faster charging. Also, the forthcoming IONIQ 5 will handle 250 kW charging, and the BMW iX/i4 will support 200kW charging. All of these cars would prefer to use the 350kW max tower first and foremost, so leaving that open for them would be proper.

(some stations will have more than 1 350kW charger, or more than 1 CHAdeMO/CCS combo tower— just depends on location)

So ideally owners of cars that have 150kW max CCS should favor the non-CHAdeMO non-350kW towers first— but if those are inoperable or taken, then its “fair game” to charge wherever of course.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just went to charge my car (gym was full so though I would give it time to empty) plugged in at EA and it started charging without taking input from me …

Is there another free weekend going on?

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
156 Posts
I was lurking on the Volvo website and found the following:

Electrify America has constructed a convenient and reliable ultra-fast network of DC charging stations—located along major highways and cross-country routes—to help get electric vehicle (EV) drivers where they want and need to go. Because the MY2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge and C40 Recharge were made for every journey and any adventure.
The Volvo DC Fast Charging Plan includes 250kWh of charging available for three years at no additional cost from the date of vehicle purchase 1 and a subsequent 12-month Electrify America Pass+ membership. 2 With these benefits, Volvo DC Fast Charging Plan drivers can explore the full potential of electric freedom, leaving gas stations and MPG in the rear view.
I called the dealer and asked them to provide the 8 digit enrollment code to be able to complete the registration.
I’m not clear if it only applies to the 2022 models or it includes the 2021 models too.

Here is the link: Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was lurking on the Volvo website and found the following:

I called the dealer and asked them to provide the 8 digit enrollment code to be able to complete the registration.
I’m not clear if it only applies to the 2022 models or it includes the 2021 models too.

Here is the link: Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America
It's for 2022 model year only.
You can find the details in the EA app. Under "Premium Offers", down below you will see "search for a Premium Offer"

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone know if EA plans to offer free charging around Thanksgiving?
Indeed. I went to one today on the way home from work. I was confused because I didn't need to provide a card or tap my phone. Then realized the charging was free from Nov 26 to 30th. Yay.

150kW - I started at 24% and it peaked charging at 126kW claiming over 300mi/hr at that rate of charge. Slowed down after 60% (as the car is designed to, in order to preserve the battery) and was at around 37kW from 80 to 90%.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts