Volvo XC40 Forum banner

For current owners: how does data usage work?

17K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  SeattleCat 
#1 ·
Hi, hopefully some current owners can help me out.

I'm trying to figure out how data usage works on the car.
I know the car has its own LTE radio.
I also have read that you can add the car to a phone plan. Volvo says that it comes with a "3 month (or 3GB, whichever comes first) complimentary data plan provided through AT&T"
I also know you can tether your phone to the car.

I'm trying to figure out which is used and how.

I see that Volvo says that a "4-year subscription to Google Services included". Presumably this is separate from the 3 month AT&T plan referenced above.
Does that mean that maps data doesn't require another data connection (Phone plan and/or tethered phone)?
Does that mean that downloading things from the play store doesn't require another data connection (Phone plan and/or tethered phone)?

How do apps that you install (Spotify, Tune-in, etc) access data?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! So we should just disregard the note in the manual about 3 month / 3Gigs free? That's a much better proposition.
Perhaps I shouldn't be overly worried about $10/month adder to my phone plan (assuming it doesn't bump me to another data amount), but it would be nice to not need to tether my phone to stream music.

#7 ·
Got my P8 today. AT&T provides the LTE for 6 months or 3GB, whatever comes first (they are assuming 500MB/month on average) for your streaming data for installable apps. I believe the built-in apps and system updates are free.

Google Services is different and pertains to Google Auto, I believe.

I am using Spotify right now via the app in the car. My plan is to either stream pre-downloaded music on my phone (which doesn't have unlimited data) with Apple Music or Spotify or put an iPhone with unlimited data (free account I got from T-Mobile) in the car to act as an access point for the car when I might want to stream. SiriusXM app is not coming until late 2021, so I will just use the iPhone to stream it for now.

Can't wait for the software updates....

#11 ·
I believe this is confusion between the Sensus based system on the current XC40 T4/T5 and the Google Auto system in the XC40 P8. Sensus has a receptacle for a SIM card, every car is provided with a 3 month data plan for app and map downloads. The XC40 P8 Google system has a four year service plan built into the price of the car to provide data for the Navigation system, apps, infotainment, etc. There is no data limit on the Google system, just the four year term.

#13 · (Edited)
I was told by volvo that by default the car will use its own onboard sat connection for internet and communication (the globe icon on the upper left corner of the display) this is the volvo oncall system. This is not an internet connection as you know it. Next if you hook your phone up and allow the system to use it for connection - the car will use that cellphone connection by default over the global sat connection for updates, oncall and everything else. Finaly, if you activate the cars sim card modem in the trunk/hatch - the system will use that connection for all of the above over the 2 previous connections as it will be the fastest. In order to use the onboard sim card modem i had to activate it through AT&T (IN NEW ENGLAND USA For me) and thats when my free trial started. Its inexpensive and well worth it. I pay just 9$ a month for unlimited once my trial expires.
Edit: dont make the mistake i did. I used volvo on-call to ask about the sim card connection, volvo transfered me (3 wayed) to AT&T and they took all the info once i selected a plan but they could not get the modem to connect. Come to find out- you can not initially connect and setup the modem while the volvo on-call feature/hardware is being used. I had to have them call me on my personal cell. Also, if you happen to have an at&t cell plan for your personal phone, the new sim card in the trunk/hatch MUST be activated with its own new phone number. It is possible to activate this on the same number but you will run into all kinds of issues. i.e while your cellphone is hooked up to the vehicle for calls or what ever, you will not be able to make or receive calls through the vehicle system if the phone number is shared between the 2.

#14 ·
I was told by volvo that by default the car will use its own onboard sat connection for internet and communication (the globe icon on the upper left corner of the display) this is the volvo oncall system. ......
Everything you listed seems to be correct for our gas models. I did purchase a P-SIM from a Canadian carrier and also can use my smartphone's Internet as well. The <Communication> menu allows you to select whichever method you prefer. As stated above, I removed the P-SIM with no smartphone connected and was able to still use the Volvo On Call APP to communicate separately. I don't doubt that our XC40 will choose the best available connection if activated.

Since I use a non-Internet required GPS as well as offline playlist for Amazon Music+, both through Android Auto, I really have yet to find a compelling reason (or application) as to why I need an active Internet connection. Can anyone help to enlighten or educate me? Possibly it's not important to me; a retired IT professional.

#15 ·
If you have a data plan on your phone, you can easily go over it. I was blown away by the amount of data my xc40 used in a month but i also stream HD and flac files. The 9$ a month (AT&T in Connecticut USA) i would think would be cheaper than going over your monthly data limit but i am not sure.

#17 · (Edited)
My apologies Homer. I did not realize this was an exclusive forum thread for P8 Recharge XC40 owners. I tend to see the thread title and chime in. Not only is this my newest Volvo; I do have 52 years of memories (some good; some bad) that I impart when I see fit.

It appears there are many significant differences between the gas and electric vehicles as it relates to the car's automation system. I'll be more careful in the future and thanks for pointing out the differences.

#18 ·
Your information regarding the data in the XC40 gasoline model is helpful for international owners.

However, this forum is specifically listed as dedicated to the all electric recharge. I do believe all varieties of the electric XC40, the P8 brand and Recharge Brand, do not require any sim or data plan.

#23 ·
SIM card slot is there because the hardware is shared with the non-google XC40 ICE variant.

#26 ·
That is a big unknown as I am sure part of the Google fee is the connectivity and I suspect they will make you pay for their service whether you use their SIM or not. I would hope they are smart and offer a Bundle (apps and connectivity) and a apps only option (supply your own SIM). The world is moving to everything is a subscription. We will own very little in the future. Everyone thought, I will dump cable and go ala carte and now many people pay more than before as all the media copies have locked up their content behind subscriptions. (sorry small divergent rant there)

#27 ·
For what I was reading the current eSIM is not available for all countries. Than I believe the owners in these countries should be using the sim card slot. There will be lots of changes in the next 3 years. Will see what will happen. The bottom line is that they will take more of our money for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.