Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time listener, first time caller.
I'm looking hard at an RDesign and, surprise, setting myself up for total confusion. I found a YT review by "Savagegeese" (???) that generally matched what I've read and seen. Until the reviewer said the brakes were extremely grabby - not much pedal travel, lots of braking. I reminds me of the bad old days of going from unassisted to assisted braking. Lots of nose dives learning the difference.

Based on that comment, the assisted braking analogy came to mind. But... this is the only reviewer that said anything like this. And this was, apparently, a very early press car.

Comments? Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ADDED: T5, also "smart" suspension on top of advanced pkg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get to a dealer (Volvo of Fort Washington - in PA). I wasn't sure if I could do it so fast. At least on the '19 I demoed, the brakes are not for the lead-footed. With a lighter touch I could produce chauffeur-smooth stops. I'll need more miles to nail that down. NTL, it can be done.

FWIW, inventory seems to be outrageously scarce. I've given up in the active suspension. The only choice is to wait for a 21. Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took delivery today (Fusion Red T5, Polestar). I'm back to working a touch to get the "can't tell when it stopped rolling" stops, but otherwise no complaints. IMHO the reviewer was having a bad hair day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First time listener, first time caller.
I'm looking hard at an RDesign and, surprise, setting myself up for total confusion. I found a YT review by "Savagegeese" (???) that generally matched what I've read and seen. Until the reviewer said the brakes were extremely grabby - not much pedal travel, lots of braking. I reminds me of the bad old days of going from unassisted to assisted braking. Lots of nose dives learning the difference.

Based on that comment, the assisted braking analogy came to mind. But... this is the only reviewer that said anything like this. And this was, apparently, a very early press car.

Comments? Thoughts? Advice?
I'll totally and completely affirm my fiance and I agree the brakes in the XC40 are uber-grabby. There is very little gradual brakes - it is close to all or nothing. I've often scared the bejeezus out of people by mistakenly giving the brakes too much weight and lurching the car. It's annoying, honestly. I wonder if a different brake pad may help (ceramic, etc.).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Far be it from me to disagree with one's affianced or her affianced but... nah. It ain't the brakes. Less grabby brake pads are kinda like dry water. Ain't no such, and you wouldn't want it anyway. A whacking great 125 miles into owning my XC40 and I've got no complaints with the brakes. It's all about a bit of patience and not so much pressure.

The only brake gripe I have is the adaptive cruise control's waiting to the last second to stand the poor car on its nose. It's not the brakes, just the idiot computer applying lots of pressure with zero patience.

On braking, I felt sufficiently sorted out to go into Polestar mode on some interesting road that includes a moderately evil decreasing radius turn. Not having the shift paddles sorted out to my satisfaction (driver issue, not car issue), I let the brakes do the talking. Braking in turns is generally a no-no, but when you're used to rowing a stick coming out of the floor, not an automatic trans that doesn't know when to downshift, a light, underline light, touch of brakes can be a useful thing. They behaved very nicely, and they're not even really bedded in. Oh, yes, and Polestar is very, very "all that". Too much of it and I'll be buying new tires every month. LOL

It ain't that the brakes is grabby.

·
Super Moderator
179 Posts
I took delivery today (Fusion Red T5, Polestar). I'm back to working a touch to get the "can't tell when it stopped rolling" stops, but otherwise no complaints. IMHO the reviewer was having a bad hair day.
Great choice! Congratulations!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts