Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have to be missing something, I went through the settings and do not see a way to disabled the side mirrors from folding on lock. The sparse owners manual does not mention it either. What am I missing? Wife's T5 has a setting.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah looks that way, how stupid is that. So when a mirror acts up you are forced to get it fixed rather than disable the folding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had an interesting issue, got the family out of the car, locked the doors, mirrors folded in, came back 20 minutes or so later to head home and the mirrors refused to open back up from the folded up mode. Could not be moved manually without fear of breaking them as well, tried to park, lock/unlock, no luck.

Had to hit the L + R buttons in the car on the drivers side door for each mirror at once to get them to come back to open and normal?!

Onward fellow beta testers, seems like there are many quirks and features in this year one build!! Fantastic driving car as we all know!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why I wish they could be disabled in the menu. I am pretty sure on the T5 they can. So many features they left off the P8.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is why I wish they could be disabled in the menu. I am pretty sure on the T5 they can. So many features they left off the P8.
There are SO many features that seem to be missing from any trim line Volvo, coming from Audi myself it amazes me that they are using the same physical parts but can't get the Android Automotive application working with them!

Where is the XM Radio?! We all have the sharkfin, but it still is missing... I know it's "coming", but so are so many features it feels like!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are SO many features that seem to be missing from any trim line Volvo, coming from Audi myself it amazes me that they are using the same physical parts but can't get the Android Automotive application working with them!

Where is the XM Radio?! We all have the sharkfin, but it still is missing... I know it's "coming", but so are so many features it feels like!
AS I have said, rushed to market. I can see the meetings that took place with marketing and engineering when they wanted to sell the car. Engineering was probably like "we need another year" and marketing was probably "leave off non-essentials and hit the date you have until ...."

I am sure Goggle promised thema boat load of stuff too and that hurt as I am sure Google missed on delivering many items. I have beaten this to death, but Android OS should have been Polestar only for now.

I am sure Volvo needed to rush this to market to get European sales, and having bet the farm on AAOS they were stuck. It does make some sense as then they did not have to do any OS development on the old platform, but they annoy customers being bate testers on an incomplete car.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
267 Posts
I have beaten this to death, but Android OS should have been Polestar only for now.
Given that Volvo has a robust infotainment system in Sensus Connect AND was using it in the XC40 PHEV, AAOS should not have been the infotainment OS for the P8. Once Polestar software engineers stabilized the platform it could be spread to the Volvo EVs.

AAOS may be the infotainment OS of the EV future, but it's 2-3 years from ready for mass production vehicles. Hummer and Ford have both committed to AAOS. Yet, Ford stayed with a new version of Sync 4 for the MME introduction and Hummer is still in pre-production status.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Given that Volvo has a robust infotainment system in Sensus Connect AND was using it in the XC40 PHEV, AAOS should not have been the infotainment OS for the P8. Once Polestar software engineers stabilized the platform it could be spread to the Volvo EVs.

AAOS may be the infotainment OS of the EV future, but it's 2-3 years from ready for mass production vehicles. Hummer and Ford have both committed to AAOS. Yet, Ford stayed with a new version of Sync 4 for the MME introduction and Hummer is still in pre-production status.
I agree. My wife has a 21 XC40 T5 and Sense is actually very nice. I am pleasantly surprised how good it is. I prefer the graphics. What I like about the P8 OS is that the camera button is on the main screen and then toggling 360 view is right in center of camera screen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My xc90 owners manual says to turn off mirror folding when snow and ice are likely....You don't want them to get frozen in the wrong position. Maybe they will update this so that we have a choice... It is beginning to get cold overnight. Almost time to deactivate automatic fold when locking on the 90.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
OK, I have to be missing something, I went through the settings and do not see a way to disabled the side mirrors from folding on lock. The sparse owners manual does not mention it either. What am I missing? Wife's T5 has a setting.
I believe it is in the IHU menus. I have to look. I would not disable that feature. Folded mirrors means car is locked. Unfolded mirrors will make interested parties to thing your car is left unlocked.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I believe it is in the IHU menus. I have to look. I would not disable that feature. Folded mirrors means car is locked. Unfolded mirrors will make interested parties to thing your car is left unlocked.
Sounds like your criminals are a lot smarter than ours.

Ours look for bags in your car. Ignore the 700 dollar radar detector but steal my gym bag again … this was when I dared to leave a bag in the car. Now I make the interior of the car look like a show model.

Only took 13 break ins to get me to no longer have bags in view :)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
Sounds like your criminals are a lot smarter than ours.

Ours look for bags in your car. Ignore the 700 dollar radar detector but steal my gym bag again … this was when I dared to leave a bag in the car. Now I make the interior of the car look like a show model.

Only took 13 break ins to get me to no longer have bags in view :)
Gosh... Do not get me started on that west coast homelessness-addiction crisis. Dealing almost every day with these characters. Never had a problems but they will steal anything that goes quick. Never, never leave anything visible. They will get the sunglasses even. I had guy break in because he saw coins (less than $2 but in coins) and smash to grab. Still, what we have in Vancouver is hard to compare to Seattle. "Seattle is Dying" is one peace good journalism (KOMO made it). Honestly, I really miss being in the small community (the way I grow) but they pay well here....

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gosh... Do not get me started on that west coast homelessness-addiction crisis. Dealing almost every day with these characters. Never had a problems but they will steal anything that goes quick. Never, never leave anything visible. They will get the sunglasses even. I had guy break in because he saw coins (less than $2 but in coins) and smash to grab. Still, what we have in Vancouver is hard to compare to Seattle. "Seattle is Dying" is one peace good journalism (KOMO made it). Honestly, I really miss being in the small community (the way I grow) but they pay well here....
Very off topic, but we had thought about retiring to the northwest US for years, then the last 2 years with everything going on up there, from riots/protests, drought, fires, etc. and the rising cost of housing there we have sadly taken it off the list.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Very off topic, but we had thought about retiring to the northwest US for years, then the last 2 years with everything going on up there, from riots/protests, drought, fires, etc. and the rising cost of housing there we have sadly taken it off the list.
I love the northwest.
Been here 24+ years.
Droughts not effecting Seattle not sure about surrounding cities or towns.

Fires indirectly effects Seattle when ca and Canada abs Oregon and parts of wa burn … but who is immune to that

Riots protest. Lived near the riots/protest. Travelled through them daily to go take dog to a mini forest. Did not phase us. Was no where near as bad as the news made it out to be. Of course it depends what triggers your fears. Personally I am more scared of the small towns that armored up because “protesters might be bused there” vs down town Seattle during the worst of it.

Cost of housing in Seattle is horrible. Better out in the boonies but then you are out in the boonies. Not sure about island life prices.

When the spouses join me In retirement will probably move near the ocean north west.

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spouses? Am I missing something here? Isn’t one more than enough to deal with?:eek:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Not if you have the right two :)

If things are correct more is better. If things are bad then any amount is aweful.

Btw this is why I always say spouse1 or spouse2. Been with 1 for 32 years and with 2 for 7 :) happy poly family.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts