Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Fix for app

6K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Vatorney3 
#1 ·
I was experiencing issues with the app not working properly. Only the lock/unlock feature was working, and only about 50% of the time. I reinstalled the app and reset the car, now the app is 100% functional.

Only issue I've had since is that the image of the car in the driver display and infotainment screen changed to a different color. This happened the day after reset while driving. Not sure if it's related but can't figure out how to fix it.

#2 ·
Alas you cannot say 100% functional until it has been that way for a long time.

Mine is 100% functional over half the time!! Works perfectly then some days nope then spontaneously returns.

Sounds like you have an IHU issue. Search on here. Solutions go from console reboots all the way to new IHUs.

#6 ·
Alas you cannot say 100% functional until it has been that way for a long time.

Mine is 100% functional over half the time!! Works perfectly then some days nope then spontaneously returns.

Sounds like you have an IHU issue. Search on here. Solutions go from console reboots all the way to new IHUs.
Oh man, I just got this car 2 weeks ago. Hope this gets fixed soon.
Interesting - as far as I know the displays in the car only show a generic light-coloured car (silver? White?) and are not body colour. What colour is your car, and what colour do you think your car’s displays were showing before and after this re-set that you did? AFAIK only the app shows the car in the correct colour, but I could be wrong.
It's denim blue. Was showing denim blue before
Maybe I wasn’t clear, but that’s what I said (or intended to say) - the app shows the actual colour of the car...I was asking the original poster whether they thought their car’s centre screen and instrument screen showed the car in body colour, because as far as I know the displays IN THE CAR (not the APP) show as being a generic silver/white image. But the original poster seemed to imply that their car’s central screen and instrument display previously displayed the actual car colour, then after an update, “changed to a different color”
Was showing the denim blue that my car actually is, now showing the silvery white color

#3 ·
I was experiencing issues with the app not working properly. Only the lock/unlock feature was working, and only about 50% of the time. I reinstalled the app and reset the car, now the app is 100% functional.

Only issue I've had since is that the image of the car in the driver display and infotainment screen changed to a different color. This happened the day after reset while driving. Not sure if it's related but can't figure out how to fix it.
Interesting - as far as I know the displays in the car only show a generic light-coloured car (silver? White?) and are not body colour. What colour is your car, and what colour do you think your car’s displays were showing before and after this re-set that you did? AFAIK only the app shows the car in the correct colour, but I could be wrong.

#7 ·
Alas even when it is fully functional the app does not do much.

It would be nice if it were fixed soon but it does not feel like core functionality at least as it is.

I would rather they fix problems folks are having with the IHU, the rusting of breaks, the communication module problems or make the ota update system more robust than make my voc work more consistently.

However more time and discussion has been spent on the voc by the community than any other subject.

It feels like hundreds of service center hours have been spent working to get voc working while people with problems that stop their cars being functional have to wait for appointments.

All this means I am definitely in the minority thinking voc is relatively unimportant :)

#9 ·
Alas even when it is fully functional the app does not do much.

It would be nice if it were fixed soon but it does not feel like core functionality at least as it is.

I would rather they fix problems folks are having with the IHU, the rusting of breaks, the communication module problems or make the ota update system more robust than make my voc work more consistently.

However more time and discussion has been spent on the voc by the community than any other subject.

It feels like hundreds of service center hours have been spent working to get voc working while people with problems that stop their cars being functional have to wait for appointments.

All this means I am definitely in the minority thinking voc is relatively unimportant :)
Holy moly! I was not aware of all these problems. I just picked up my '22 ultimate 2 weeks ago.

#10 ·
Every car has problems. No mass produce complex machinery works for every person. The important question is how many people are having each problem.

Alas we have no access to that information :(

My car has been relatively perfect (apart from voc) and occasionally odd behaviors. But I do not know of any advanced computer devices that never have odd behaviors.

#11 ·
That is true. The issue is, how much catastrophic failure is acceptable. My own experience has been similar to yours, but when I read these posts about cars spontaneously bricking or losing power while being driven, I become very concerned. It makes it difficult to trust the car’s reliability, a luxury I enjoy with every previous Volvo.

#14 ·
The 5.6.1 App appears to have added the inside temp. of the car (assuming its accurate)
The V1.7 appears to be "still" calibrating - charging to 90% shows 91% on App, and 91% on Car
75% of the time:
- SOC shows up, the preset timer works and the manual trigger of temp. works

Before the existence/experience of Apps, I was just fine. But once App was introduced, it does add to a level of benefit/convenience, HOWEVER it also added a level of "obsession" to hold it with the highest level of expectation simply because we live in a world of "touch and swipe" and BAM... world information is right at your fingertips.

In short, for anyone rolling out "an App" regardless of purpose -- the expectation is indeed for it to function at 100%, intuitive, user-friendly...... even just to LOOK at it, regardless the accuracy, it still needs to show "something" !

Chair Font Parallel Motor vehicle Gas
Product Automotive lighting Font Gas Communication Device

#20 ·
In response to @ChefT original post, does anyone else have the car showing up as the correct colour on the car’s central screen or driver’s display? @ChefT said their car was showing it as Denim Blue originally but now just silver/white. I thought ALL cars just showed it as silver/white on the car’s screens. Might have to do a poll... @ChefT are you 100% certain the car showed up as Denim Blue on the car’s screens or are you getting it confused with the phone app?

#22 ·
I would be excited if it did.

Car on a map location (as I never loose my car cough)

App as a car key (allowing driving)

Ability to nerd out on data from the car on the app

I try and follow one of my family sayings:

“The lack of a positive is not a negative”

It is hard to follow it some times but it helps me differentiate between actual negatives vs lacking positives :)

#32 ·
Ditto ... worked that ONE time when I took a pic to post it here. But haven't show inside temp. ever since.
HHmmm..... it's just "nice to have", but more importantly, it's a NEED for consistency across the board regardless of what functionality.

#26 ·
Never shown the temp for me. Oh well. Phone tells me. Computer tells me. I probably do not need the phone to tell me what the car thinks the temp is … but I also want it to just because.

#34 ·
Anyone knows or has tried to see if the app syncs better if the car is connected to the wifi network vs connected via 4G?
As I’m not able to connect the car to my wifi I haven’t been able to test

Like others mentioned, I was able to see the outside temp once.

#36 ·
That's my understanding as well. What I don't understand is why the app shows whether you have a Bluetooth connection to the car (obviously at close range). Does anyone know if the app actually uses BT to report car data when in range? If so, does it try a direct BT connection first, then fall back to Volvo's servers over LTE? Or is this icon just there for reference like "By the way, your phone is within Bluetooth range of your car. Thought you'd like to know".

Reactions: B-mtrd
#37 ·
I think it does work over Bluetooth, as I said we have virtually no mobile signal and I can nearly always unlock/lock the car with the app when the Bluetooth symbol is there. However, sometimes it doesn't work at all even when the Bluetooth symbol is there. I've never seen the correct SOC on the app when using Bluetooth.

#38 ·
I think it does work over Bluetooth
Yes, I confirmed that it can communicate over Bluetooth using an Android phone. I started the VOC app (needs internet to sign-in to backend servers). Then I turned off both WiFi & mobile data on the phone, but I kept Bluetooth on. I was able to lock & unlock the doors.

does it try a direct BT connection first, then fall back to Volvo's servers over LTE?
I'm pretty sure that your assumption is correct. When I lock or unlock the doors, it is almost immediate when Bluetooth is on. Whereas, there is a much more latency when Bluetooth is off or when it is out of range and fallback is to WiFi / cellular.
EDIT: to be clear, my assumption is that WiFi/Cellular is not directly to the car, but rather to their backend servers which in turn communicates with the car.

#42 ·
I have never gotten the app to function in any way. Volvo has never gotten the app to function in any way. The dealer has never gotten the app to function in any way, and that’s in connection with either XC-40 recharge I have. I am sorry, that‘s unacceptable. We love both cars, but this is unacceptable.

Reactions: DeaneG
#43 ·
The app has worked almost perfectly for me. One time I tried to start the heater and it wouldn't connect, but the next day and ever since it has worked fine. It shows my car color - Bursting blue. I have Android. I'm just posting to provide another data point. I think whoever said that most people posting on boards are those who have had car trouble. Those whose cars have worked great don't bother to come to boards like this, or at least don't post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.