Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Volvo XC40 Forum!

My name is John, and I'm a first time Volvo owner. I'm also a first time battery electric vehicle owner. I bought a 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate on New Years Eve! I had been looking around and comparing various makes/models since September. My wife seems relieved now knowing that there will be no more YouTube videos to watch comparing various EVs, and no more test drives. I suffer from AnalysisParalysis... 馃ぃ

I had created an online reservation (with a $500 refundable deposit) in October, but I apparently did it wrong and got in the "Care" queue. If I understand correctly, Care is Volvo's car-as-a-service / subscription model. I wanted to purchase this car and hope to enjoy it for the next 6+ years. The car should get a lot of use between myself, my wife, and our three kids (ages 9-15.) We have to drive our kids to school (no bus service) and the kids also do a lot of competitive ballroom dancing, so lots of short trips each day within a 30-mile radius of home. Anyway, I ended up cancelling my Care order out of frustration, but the desire was still there... When I eventually called my sales girl back, she said that a car had come in, but the reservation holder didn't want it any more. If I could be happy with a Glacier Silver instead of Thunder Gray, the car could be mine!

This forum has already helped me, and hopefully I can return the favor. I noticed that as I drove home with my new car that the Google Maps were not appearing behind the steering wheel. This post taught me how to reboot the car's computer which brought the maps back to life! I've got a situation now where my Sirius XM radio is not working. The screen shows "SiriusXM antenna shorted" 馃槩 Good thing Spotify still works! Yay for Google-based infotainment!

I'll wrap up the introduction with a picture of the car charging in my garage. I've got a ChargePoint Home Flex (electrician buddy of mine installed it as a favor with 60 amp service.) We've had <20F degree weather here lately. My wife and I really like having the car fully charged (90%) and pre-conditioned / warmed up 7:30am when it's time to start taking the kids to school and go to work! I've got to go and start applying for federal, state, and local tax credits!

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Registered
Hi Volvo XC40 Forum!

My name is John, and I'm a first time Volvo owner. I'm also a first time battery electric vehicle owner. I bought a 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate on New Years Eve! I had been looking around and comparing various makes/models since September. My wife seems relieved now knowing that there will be no more YouTube videos to watch comparing various EVs, and no more test drives. I suffer from AnalysisParalysis... 馃ぃ

I had created an online reservation (with a $500 refundable deposit) in October, but I apparently did it wrong and got in the "Care" queue. If I understand correctly, Care is Volvo's car-as-a-service / subscription model. I wanted to purchase this car and hope to enjoy it for the next 6+ years. The car should get a lot of use between myself, my wife, and our three kids (ages 9-15.) We have to drive our kids to school (no bus service) and the kids also do a lot of competitive ballroom dancing, so lots of short trips each day within a 30-mile radius of home. Anyway, I ended up cancelling my Care order out of frustration, but the desire was still there... When I eventually called my sales girl back, she said that a car had come in, but the reservation holder didn't want it any more. If I could be happy with a Glacier Silver instead of Thunder Gray, the car could be mine!

This forum has already helped me, and hopefully I can return the favor. I noticed that as I drove home with my new car that the Google Maps were not appearing behind the steering wheel. This post taught me how to reboot the car's computer which brought the maps back to life! I've got a situation now where my Sirius XM radio is not working. The screen shows "SiriusXM antenna shorted" 馃槩 Good thing Spotify still works! Yay for Google-based infotainment!

I'll wrap up the introduction with a picture of the car charging in my garage. I've got a ChargePoint Home Flex (electrician buddy of mine installed it as a favor with 60 amp service.) We've had <20F degree weather here lately. My wife and I really like having the car fully charged (90%) and pre-conditioned / warmed up 7:30am when it's time to start taking the kids to school and go to work! I've got to go and start applying for federal, state, and local tax credits!

View attachment 2250 View attachment 2252
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing these tips.

I just picked up my baby on Monday evening (Thunder Gray). While programming the car, we accidentally shifted it back to "Transport mode," so she (XC) wouldn't drive above 25 mph. LOL! Imagine my chagrin after everyone advising me, "Don't drive too fast!" I quickly returned to the dealer and they fixed it. Now I'm happily vrooming down the freeway.

I took today off of work to organize ALL of the multitude of username and passwords for the accounts associated with the car. (Just added this forum as well.) It is not for the faint hearted. But I truly feel on the leading slope (the edge already happened) of change to EVs. At over $5 per gallon here in California, we had to do something.

Enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just picked up my baby on Monday evening (Thunder Gray).
Ah wow, that's the color I wanted! Instead I prioritized actually getting a car (in Glacier Silver) instead of waiting weeks or months. I'd love to see some pictures of your new "baby" :cool:

How on earth did you manage to put your car in Transport mode?

For us, the primary factor of getting an EV was to be able to have it fully charged at home and ready to go each day. The amount of time my wife and I were wasting in line at Costco to buy gas was too much!

Reactions: BuzzyBud

Registered
Ah wow, that's the color I wanted! Instead I prioritized actually getting a car (in Glacier Silver) instead of waiting weeks or months. I'd love to see some pictures of your new "baby" :cool:

How on earth did you manage to put your car in Transport mode?

For us, the primary factor of getting an EV was to be able to have it fully charged at home and ready to go each day. The amount of time my wife and I were wasting in line at Costco to buy gas was too much!
I believe we started by programming the "orange" key first; I wanted that one because it is a cool color. However, it seems to have broken something. So the mechanics reset everything and we started over with the black key. I'm afraid to program the orange one now so it is just as is. Did you program yours?

Here is a picture. :) We did our first Electrify America charge yesterday. Found out that I prefer to charge when it is light; there was a scary person walking by muttering quite loudly (creepy) Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
, so we sat in the car during charging. I was more worried about us than the car.

Here is the pic!

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you program yours?
No, I don't believe our orange key was "programmed." I recall the sales lady at the dealership mentioning that we could get it programmed with a maximum speed limit, if we wanted to give it to our teenager who drives. But we didn't do that. So for now we just have one black and one orange key, and both of them are fully functional. I've asked the forum people here how much a third key would cost, and I may buy one in the future if/when I feel comfortable letting a teenager drive my baby. :D

P.S. I shouldn't have asked for photos. Your car looks great! It would have been worth it to wait for my right color to come in!
P.P.S How do you like the Electrify America HomeStation & it's app? I thought about getting that one, but eventually chose the ChargePoint Home Flex because it could pump out a few extra kilowatts. I haven't had a chance to charge anywhere away from home yet. I'm hoping that when I do, I don't get dizzy switching between the ChargePoint and the Electrify America apps.

Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
I believe we started by programming the "orange" key first; I wanted that one because it is a cool color. However, it seems to have broken something. So the mechanics reset everything and we started over with the black key. I'm afraid to program the orange one now so it is just as is. Did you program yours?

Here is a picture. :) We did our first Electrify America charge yesterday. Found out that I prefer to charge when it is light; there was a scary person walking by muttering quite loudly (creepy) View attachment 2294 , so we sat in the car during charging. I was more worried about us than the car.

Here is the pic!

View attachment 2294
We got 2 black and 1 orange key. We wanted to be able to tell which key is mine and which is my partner鈥檚...and found we could unclip the orange cover off the orange key and swap it onto one of the black keys. Problem solved - we now have an all black key, a black key with orange top, and an orange key with black top. :)

Registered
We got 2 black and 1 orange key. We wanted to be able to tell which key is mine and which is my partner鈥檚...and found we could unclip the orange cover off the orange key and swap it onto one of the black keys. Problem solved - we now have an all black key, a black key with orange top, and an orange key with black top. :)
Thank you so much for that idea! It is funny, but when I took apart the key to see how to change the battery, my husband mentioned that we could just change the covers (top and bottom) so that I have the "orange" key. Hm! I think I will do that.

Registered
Thank you so much for that idea! It is funny, but when I took apart the key to see how to change the battery, my husband mentioned that we could just change the covers (top and bottom) so that I have the "orange" key. Hm! I think I will do that.
LOL yeah thinking about it, both covers are removable so yeah you could just make the key all orange. I guess we didn鈥檛 do that because we didn鈥檛 want to have 2 black keys at all as then they could get mixed up... :)

Registered
There is still the little switch that shows the original color of the key.

Your solution for 3 keys was actually brilliant (IMO).

Registered
There is still the little switch that shows the original color of the key.

Your solution for 3 keys was actually brilliant (IMO).
Ahh, I'll have to have a closer look at the orange key... didn't realise it had a small orange piece on it as I thought it was just the removable covers. Great to know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts