Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the seventh month that I am driving the XC 40. Yesterday my wife and I were driving regularly in a residential neighborhood at about 25 to 30 mile per hour. Passing an intersection, a car on the opposite lane all of the sudden made a turn across the traffic lane. My car was already passed the crosswalk. To be honest, I didn't see him and totally didn't expect a car making a turn since they suppose to wait for traffic going straight. But the Volvo detected the imminent collision and slammed the brakes while beeping. We cleared the back of the car going across by about a couple of inches. What was very interesting (never noticed it in all the other cars we have had), our seat belt tensioned stiff and actually grabbed us tight. A very surprising feeling, almost like being hugged tight. It releases within a fraction of a second. I couldn't have reacted faster or done a better job.

What was really ironic was that I remember being very skeptical with all the safety pedestrian and collision avoidance literature I read.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the seventh month that I am driving the XC 40. Yesterday my wife and I were driving regularly in a residential neighborhood at about 25 to 30 mile per hour. Passing an intersection, a car on the opposite lane all of the sudden made a turn across the traffic lane. My car was already passed the crosswalk. To be honest, I didn't see him and totally didn't expect a car making a turn since they suppose to wait for traffic going straight. But the Volvo detected the imminent collision and slammed the brakes while beeping. We cleared the back of the car going across by about a couple of inches. What was very interesting (never noticed it in all the other cars we have had), our seat belt tensioned stiff and actually grabbed us tight. A very surprising feeling, almost like being hugged tight. It releases within a fraction of a second. I couldn't have reacted faster or done a better job.

What was really ironic was that I remember being very skeptical with all the safety pedestrian and collision avoidance literature I read.
My XC40 also saved us. We we on the highway, traffic was suddenly slowing to an abrupt stop. I was braking hard but the car did the last bit of braking and stopped us inches from an imminent collision. I am confident that without the car's intervention we would have crashed that day. I am very thankful for my XC40's safety features

1 - 2 of 2 Posts