Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the last software update, I am getting a lot of false collision detection. I can understand if I am in a turn and a vehicle "appears" to be heading on a head on collision course but most of the time I would be driving on a highway with nothing in front or on my side when all of the sudden the collision detection alarm would go off and the car would apply braking. It happens only briefly like a second or so and everything then proceeded normally. It is a little annoying and nerve wrecking for my wife who may be looking at her book or phone and not on the road to see that there is nothing going on. Anyone else experiencing the false collision detection?

·
Registered
7 Posts
After the last software update, I am getting a lot of false collision detection. I can understand if I am in a turn and a vehicle "appears" to be heading on a head on collision course but most of the time I would be driving on a highway with nothing in front or on my side when all of the sudden the collision detection alarm would go off and the car would apply braking. It happens only briefly like a second or so and everything then proceeded normally. It is a little annoying and nerve wrecking for my wife who may be looking at her book or phone and not on the road to see that there is nothing going on. Anyone else experiencing the false collision detection?
I had this happen for the first year! Over 15 times it happened. Brought it back to dealer 3 times. Finally they updated the software in July (I have a 2019 model bought a little over a year ago). I hasn't happened since. Even had one rear collision warning where it tightened my seatbelts when at a stop light, but no one hit me. Glad it's fixed now. It you had it updated recently, go back and have it done properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After taking my XC40 into the shop three times, and having the avoidance system go off at least 100 times. I even videoed it once to show the shop what I'm dealing with. I finally put the right words together on goggle and this is the simple answer you want: If you feel City Safety is too sensitive and may be reacting in situations where you prefer it would not, you may adjust the level of warning distance by following the instructions below:

1. Tap the top edge of the Sensus Home screen
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select My Car
  4. Select IntelliSafe
  5. Select City Safety
    • From here you can select from Early, Normal, or Later:

It hasn't happened to me since I changed the setting from Normal to Later. I think if I put it on Earlier, I couldn't drive down the street.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also experienced false Collision detection. I am also experiencing problems with the sensors after the new software update. For example, on a three-lane highway I am in the middle, cars to the right are going 65 I'm going 70 with adaptive cruise control set and no one in front of me. For no reason, my vehicle slows to 65. This is a very bad software update and I hope they fix it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have also experienced false Collision detection. I am also experiencing problems with the sensors after the new software update. For example, on a three-lane highway I am in the middle, cars to the right are going 65 I'm going 70 with adaptive cruise control set and no one in front of me. For no reason, my vehicle slows to 65. This is a very bad software update and I hope they fix it.
My dad’s Mercedes was doing that and driving him nuts. Turns out the car was adjusting to the speed limit after passing a sign. He was able to turn a setting off. At least my 2019 XC40 does not have that feature tho. maybe new ones do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been disappointed with the behavior of the software. It seems that it behave randomly and not always consistent. For example, do this simple experimentation with windshield washer. Push the right lever forward. The expected behavior is that the rear windshield washer fluid would squirts and the wiper activated automatically. If you do this every day you will see that 60% of the time, the fluid squirt but the wiper does not activate! I can't figure out why the software is so inconsistent. Many other quirks like this exist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
False collision detection happened several times to me for the first year. Took it in a few times to have fixed and they told me they were waiting for a software update. I took it in for service last month and they updated the software. Hasn't happened since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts