Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a notice on my dash yesterday saying "Exterior sound system malfunction" (beeping as you back up)...Service Required I contacted the dealer today and they are investigating. The service manager indicated they had seen it a couple of times on Polestar vehicles but not on the P8. Has anyone else experienced this notice?? If so, what was the fix??

·
Registered
92 Posts
I intentionally disabled the exterior sound by pulling a fuse under the hood, and I get that message as a result. it goes away when I acknowledge it. Is your sound still working?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Actually, I wish there's a volume control on the exterior noise for those who want to turn it up or down

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I intentionally disabled the exterior sound by pulling a fuse under the hood, and I get that message as a result. it goes away when I acknowledge it. Is your sound still working?
It goes away for me when I acknowledge it also so it doesn't impact driving. The dealer has ordered a couple new modules for the car which should fix it...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
Perhaps I am the only one that thinks the synthetic exterior sounds are BS. What are they going to save people from - speeding, distracted idiot drivers or cars with unreliable collision avoidance systems (Toyota Corolla for example). Instead to make cars to sound broken idiot bureaucrats can put collision avoidance to more extensive testing. I am happy here in Canada we are still away from that.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts
Perhaps I am the only one that thinks the synthetic exterior sounds are BS. What are they going to save people from - speeding, distracted idiot drivers or cars with unreliable collision avoidance systems (Toyota Corolla for example). Instead to make cars to sound broken idiot bureaucrats can put collision avoidance to more extensive testing. I am happy here in Canada we are still away from that.
I think it's a great idea and suspect as EV's become more popular our laws in Canada will adapt this requirement. I always feel apprehensive in parking lots like Costco and Loblaws where people walking right in front of you have no idea you are there as you very quietly pass beside them and note the stunned look on their faces.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Perhaps I am the only one that thinks the synthetic exterior sounds are BS.
I think it's a reasonable idea - helps to ensure that your car can be heard by blind or vision-impaired pedestrians (including cell-phone addicted people who never look up!). Here in the US, EVs are required to emit a sound when traveling less than 18.6 mph (30 kph). Faster than that, and wind/tire noise alone are sufficient.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
I think it's a great idea and suspect as EV's become more popular our laws in Canada will adapt this requirement. I always feel apprehensive in parking lots like Costco and Loblaws where people walking right in front of you have no idea you are there as you very quietly pass beside them and note the stunned look on their faces.
With my ICE car people are still doing exactly the same thing. Anyway I perfectly understand the reasons but I do not think they help. Honk twice when backing, that seems to help with the fauna in immediate vicinity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Perhaps I am the only one that thinks the synthetic exterior sounds are BS.
You are not the only one! Furthermore, I would like to know how to make my US model like the ones in Canada, so I don't have to deal with the little message. I wonder if the exterior sound module, under the rear bumper on the left, can be replaced with something. Hopefully programming is not involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts