Volvo XC40 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Totally agree. I did the same assessment as you, even saying to myself "if money was no object what would I get" and there's still nothing that ticks all the boxes so it's basically what compromise are you most willing to make. I think 150-200 miles is fine as well, but the price needs to reflect that. So I'm thinking if I just wait a few months, when not only the Mach E is out and have lease deals etc, but when the Ioniq 5 is officially debuted (Feb 2nd!) and the Q4 Etron is debuted in a few months, the competition will be too much for Volvo that they'll start offering some sweet deals on the Recharge by late spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Totally agree. I did the same assessment as you, even saying to myself "if money was no object what would I get" and there's still nothing that ticks all the boxes so it's basically what compromise are you most willing to make. I think 150-200 miles is fine as well, but the price needs to reflect that. So I'm thinking if I just wait a few months, when not only the Mach E is out and have lease deals etc, but when the Ioniq 5 is officially debuted (Feb 2nd!) and the Q4 Etron is debuted in a few months, the competition will be too much for Volvo that they'll start offering some sweet deals on the Recharge by late spring.
Yes, this is exactly why I'm planning to wait another year or two before buying my first BEV. I think that so much is changing so very quickly now that the landscape of what's available (and even the technology) will look quite different in a couple years. But once the pandemic has eased (and I have my vaccination), I'll be eagerly test-driving the XC40 P8. Rumor is that the XC90 will be next in line for a BEV in the Volvo line-up, and I imagine that the XC90 P8 will run > $70k or even $80k USD, which is nuts. The new rear-wheel-drive Taycan will start at under $80k. My wish list includes a Volvo Cross Country wagon in BEV form. The Macan BEV is due out in a couple years, and that could be a real winner, also. The Audi E-Trons are very interesting, but I just hate that front end of Audis...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also decide to
Yes, this is exactly why I'm planning to wait another year or two before buying my first BEV. I think that so much is changing so very quickly now that the landscape of what's available (and even the technology) will look quite different in a couple years. But once the pandemic has eased (and I have my vaccination), I'll be eagerly test-driving the XC40 P8. Rumor is that the XC90 will be next in line for a BEV in the Volvo line-up, and I imagine that the XC90 P8 will run > $70k or even $80k USD, which is nuts. The new rear-wheel-drive Taycan will start at under $80k. My wish list includes a Volvo Cross Country wagon in BEV form. The Macan BEV is due out in a couple years, and that could be a real winner, also. The Audi E-Trons are very interesting, but I just hate that front end of Audis...
I don't think they will us 78Kwh battery pack again. So it will not be P8... should be P10 or higher number.
But... unless they improve their efficiency, I don't think people will buy it. From SPA2, they should improve it a lot.
I will also cancel XC40 P8 at this time and maybe buy a XC90 T8 instead. Even I have one more ICE car in my hose, current XC40 P8's design concept is not that great to me.
Maybe I will buy a BEV, it will replace my sedan and keep the PHEV SUV for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think they will us 78Kwh battery pack again. So it will not be P8... should be P10 or higher number.
But... unless they improve their efficiency, I don't think people will buy it. From SPA2, they should improve it a lot.
My understanding is that the number "5", "6", "8" in Volvo model names has to do generally with horsepower: generally comparing to an inline 5-cylinder, or V6, or V8 ICE, respectively, with their supercharging, turbocharging, and electric-motorizing of their tiny 4-cylinder, 2-liter engines. The "8" in P8 for the BEV suggests a power level like that of a V8 ICE, I'm pretty sure, so it won't go to "P10" because the power won't increase -- only the range will increase when they increase the size of the battery pack.

I disagree with you on people not buying the current XC40 BEV because of efficiency. The vast majority of BEV buyers don't do road long trips in their BEVs: they charge only at home (maybe also at work, if that's a possibility) and stay within a full charge of home. Since the average American drives about 29 miles per day, a 150- to 200-mile range is perfectly fine for most BEV drivers (most BEV owners use an ICEV or PHEV to drive on road trips). I have graded all of the BEVs for sale in the US in 2021 that I know of (in terms of utility, aesthetics, and quality), and the XC40 ranks in the top three of that list for all-around marks (along with the Audi E-Tron and the Kia Niro). I'm pleasantly surprised because I have given up on the current batch of ICE/PHEV Volvos due to their crappy engines, horrible all-electric driving range (PHEVs), and the Sensus computer system; the XC40 P8 benefits by not having an engine, having decent electric range (as I've defined above), and having replaced Sensus with the Google OS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was just walking my dog and neighbors have a brand new Recharge P8 in their driveway! Just had a long conversation with the woman who owns it, she just got it today. She said they were at my local Volvo dealership last weekend in San Diego and test drove it and apparently the dealer had 2 in stock and decided to release one of them for sale, so they called her and she went down there today and signed the papers for it and took it home. She leased it which is smart, said her pmt is around $600 but I forgot to ask her how much she put down. What bums me out is it has all of the exact same options as the one I ordered 3 months ago, and she just grabbed it on a whim! And here I am still waiting at least a few more weeks or more for mine to come on a boat. She said it drives really well and it's very quiet and comfortable and so far she likes it but has only had it for today.
I live in Seattle and the Volvo dealer in Lynnwood (north of Seattle) offered me one of their two test-drive models in the dealership for sale. They were asking for $6K above the MSRP and I said NO WAY! I am waiting for the car I ordered and have been following the boat online. The link above did not work. Here is one that works: LIBERTY (Vehicle carrier)

Can't wait to get hold of my vehicle. I have test driven the car twice at the local Seattle dealership. They let me drive off without a salesperson. Absolutely loved it. The fastest car I have ever driven. Compared to Tesla Model Y, the ride and build quality are superb. My only gripe is that the range improves via software/firmware updates. The Google map is awesome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Seattle and the Volvo dealer in Lynnwood (north of Seattle) offered me one of their two test-drive models in the dealership for sale. They were asking for $6K above the MSRP and I said NO WAY! I am waiting for the car I ordered and have been following the boat online. The link above did not work. Here is one that works: LIBERTY (Vehicle carrier)

Can't wait to get hold of my vehicle. I have test driven the car twice at the local Seattle dealership. They let me drive off without a salesperson. Absolutely loved it. The fastest car I have ever driven. Compared to Tesla Model Y, the ride and build quality are superb. My only gripe is that the range improves via software/firmware updates. The Google map is awesome.
Hi Vanessa... does your comment about software/firmware updates means that the range and battery efficiency that is being complained about on this site can be improved with over the air updates?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi Vanessa... does your comment about software/firmware updates means that the range and battery efficiency that is being complained about on this site can be improved with over the air updates?
Funny you should ask ... I had intended to ask the same question myself today! I made that comment after seeing someone mention it on a different forum, and later started to wonder if that was even possible. I don't know enough about the technology to know if that's possible, or likely to be possible in the future. (But I hope so!) Maybe someone else can weigh in!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you ever receive an email saying it was in actually in production? This waiting is driving me nuts ...
My production was done. But you have to ask them thru email to get the update. But I canceled my order.
I may not need to have another car until I can go back to my office for work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
My production was done. But you have to ask them thru email to get the update. But I canceled my order.
I may not need to have another car until I can go back to my office for work.
Thanks, Woomi. I realize your production was done; was just wondering if you were aware it was in production before you were told it was actually done
. I've emailed and just get a generic reply that it's on schedule for Jan production. Hoping I get pleasantly surprised as you did. I've been nursing along my current car for months now ...

·
Registered
16 Posts

Like you, I have driven the XC 40 Recharge. I like it a lot. The range is a big disadvantage in it's price range however. The one I ordered is roughly $60000 and range is not competitive with Tesla, Kia or Bolt which all cost less. If I can get a competitive lease price, I might go for it since it mitigates the depreciation risk. Got a quote today as shown below.. Comments anyone?
I'm in San Diego, CA. I reserved last summer and officially ordered and built on 10/21/20. Got the build confirmation and VIN this morning. But since my local dealership is not being very helpful at the moment (and wasted my Saturday by telling me I could test drive without a rep then when I got there telling me I couldn't), whether I go forward with the vehicle will depend on 1) whether they let me test drive it without a sales rep in the car (the rep I talked to in person today couldn't be bothered to even get the **** mask on his nose), 2) If they offer virtual or outside paperwork/touchless delivery, and 3) what the lease numbers come to. If they expect me to sit inside like it's 2019 while a Finance manager tries to upsell me for an hour then sign paper docs for another hour, then I'm out. COVID is reeeeealy bad in CA and I'm not stepping inside any public building until I get a vaccine. So I told the sales manager today what a $hitty experience I had, and what accommodations I require to get the vehicle, and left it up to them to decide if they could meet them. If they don't then I'm fully prepared to back out. Still waiting to hear their answers.

I think it'd be great if everyone here posts what lease numbers they get from their dealers so we can all compare. If the numbers suck I'm prepared to cancel my order and just look at the Mach E, or wait for Q4 Etron or Hyundai Ioniq 5. Or just wait a couple months for dealers to get desperate on these Recharge models and get a better deal in April or May. The Recharge is a nice vehicle but certainly not worth being an early adopter and getting a bad deal.
Like you, I have driven the XC 40 Recharge. I like it a lot. The range is a big disadvantage in it's price range however. The one I ordered is roughly $60000 and range is not competitive with Tesla, Kia or Bolt which all cost less. If I can get a competitive lease price, I might go for it since it mitigates the depreciation risk. Got a quote today as shown below.. feefr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Vanessa. I think our cars are on the same boat. Due to dock in Panama today..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like you, I have driven the XC 40 Recharge. I like it a lot. The range is a big disadvantage in it's price range however. The one I ordered is roughly $60000 and range is not competitive with Tesla, Kia or Bolt which all cost less. If I can get a competitive lease price, I might go for it since it mitigates the depreciation risk. Got a quote today as shown below.. Comments anyone?
Seems reasonable, except that 49% of $7500 should be $3675. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seems reasonable, except that 49% of $7500 should be $3675. Thanks for posting!
Agreed on the $3675 but compared to a lease on a $55000 Testla Model Y, it's a lot more expensive. All in cost for MY over 3 years is $24,876 and all in for XC40 is $36,320 for 3 years. I think this leaves me to decide to cancel my order. Not doing it yet tho'

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Hi Vanessa. I think our cars are on the same boat. Due to dock in Panama today..
I wish! I actually just received word TODAY! that my Volvo has finished production and is waiting to board a vessel. I'm so happy. On Monday, I still had received the generic response along the lines of ... "your vehicle was due to go into production in January and we will notify you of updates when available." So pleasantly surprised today to hear it's done. Curious to see how long the wait is from here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Hello Seattleman, Someone else asked a similar question... but when you said "My only gripe is that the range improves via software/firmware updates." --- are you saying it actually will be possible for the range to improve via updates? Or did you mean to say hope, rather than gripe? I'll be thrilled if range improvement is possible down the line. (Though of course it would be better if the range was good from the start.) Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
By the way, while I made a similar comment, it was Seattleman who made the specific comment you referenced. I just asked him for clarification.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed on the $3675 but compared to a lease on a $55000 Testla Model Y, it's a lot more expensive. All in cost for MY over 3 years is $24,876 and all in for XC40 is $36,320 for 3 years. I think this leaves me to decide to cancel my order. Not doing it yet tho'
Forgot to ask what miles/yr was that lease quote for?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts