Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just got the same email too. Although I had a terrible first experience with my local Volvo dealership today which really put me off. Even though I made an appt, they appeared to not have a clue I was coming. They promised me I could test drive the vehicle without anyone else in it, but when I got there they insisted they needed to accompany me. As a high risk person I'm not getting in the car with a stranger, especially this sales rep who couldn't be bothered to even put his mask over his **** nose. I refused to test drive it if they wouldn't let me go alone, and left the dealership. I sent an email to the general sales manager just now and if he can't accommodate my needs I'm not buying the vehicle. They're the only dealer in town and I don't have the time or patience to deal with that kind of nonsense these days.
When did you receive confirmation of your order? Also, do you mind saying what state you're in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I guess it's time to decide. I just got an email from Volvo saying that they just finished production of my car, gave the VIN, and that it's on the docks ready to ship across the pond.
Congratulations on that, though now you have to grapple with that decision. Did they give you an ETA at the dealership? Please keep us posted. If you keep the car, I'd love to hear how any price negotiations go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When did you receive confirmation of your order? Also, do you mind saying what state you're in?
I'm in San Diego, CA. I reserved last summer and officially ordered and built on 10/21/20. Got the build confirmation and VIN this morning. But since my local dealership is not being very helpful at the moment (and wasted my Saturday by telling me I could test drive without a rep then when I got there telling me I couldn't), whether I go forward with the vehicle will depend on 1) whether they let me test drive it without a sales rep in the car (the rep I talked to in person today couldn't be bothered to even get the **** mask on his nose), 2) If they offer virtual or outside paperwork/touchless delivery, and 3) what the lease numbers come to. If they expect me to sit inside like it's 2019 while a Finance manager tries to upsell me for an hour then sign paper docs for another hour, then I'm out. COVID is reeeeealy bad in CA and I'm not stepping inside any public building until I get a vaccine. So I told the sales manager today what a $hitty experience I had, and what accommodations I require to get the vehicle, and left it up to them to decide if they could meet them. If they don't then I'm fully prepared to back out. Still waiting to hear their answers.

I think it'd be great if everyone here posts what lease numbers they get from their dealers so we can all compare. If the numbers suck I'm prepared to cancel my order and just look at the Mach E, or wait for Q4 Etron or Hyundai Ioniq 5. Or just wait a couple months for dealers to get desperate on these Recharge models and get a better deal in April or May. The Recharge is a nice vehicle but certainly not worth being an early adopter and getting a bad deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congratulations on that, though now you have to grabble with that decision. Did they give you an ETA at the dealership? Please keep us posted. If you keep the car, I'd love to hear how any price negotiations go.
I got the same email and they said they will update me when it's on the boat en route. No ETA for pickup yet. I'm in San Diego, CA

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess it's time to decide. I just got an email from Volvo saying that they just finished production of my car, gave the VIN, and that it's on the docks ready to ship across the pond.
Did they tell you when it will arrive? Where are you located?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm in San Diego, CA. I reserved last summer and officially ordered and built on 10/21/20. Got the build confirmation and VIN this morning. But since my local dealership is not being very helpful at the moment (and wasted my Saturday by telling me I could test drive without a rep then when I got there telling me I couldn't), whether I go forward with the vehicle will depend on 1) whether they let me test drive it without a sales rep in the car (the rep I talked to in person today couldn't be bothered to even get the **** mask on his nose), 2) If they offer virtual or outside paperwork/touchless delivery, and 3) what the lease numbers come to. If they expect me to sit inside like it's 2019 while a Finance manager tries to upsell me for an hour then sign paper docs for another hour, then I'm out. COVID is reeeeealy bad in CA and I'm not stepping inside any public building until I get a vaccine. So I told the sales manager today what a $hitty experience I had, and what accommodations I require to get the vehicle, and left it up to them to decide if they could meet them. If they don't then I'm fully prepared to back out. Still waiting to hear their answers.

I think it'd be great if everyone here posts what lease numbers they get from their dealers so we can all compare. If the numbers suck I'm prepared to cancel my order and just look at the Mach E, or wait for Q4 Etron or Hyundai Ioniq 5. Or just wait a couple months for dealers to get desperate on these Recharge models and get a better deal in April or May. The Recharge is a nice vehicle but certainly not worth being an early adopter and getting a bad deal.
Thanks for the info. My dealer had the Recharge EV on-site for a few days, and after it had moved on to the next dealer, called to tell me what a great ride it is ... but never called me with the opportunity to test drive it. Then didn't realize I was the same person who had been in and reviewed options with him. Not impressive service on either front. I got pre-order confirmation 10/21, then configuration confirmation the next day. On 12/28, rec'd email saying production would begin early Jan. I'm in Massachusetts. COVID is bad here, too, but not as bad as California. I have a compromised immune system ... won't be doing the one-hour upsell either! People who wear the mask below their nose drive me nuts. #COVIDiots

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you guys got an email from local dealer or Volvo HQ directly?
Still waiting the email :)
Mine came from Volvo corporate as well. And agree with @afung if you email them via the Volvo website they get back to you fairly quickly.

Also FWIW, use that same email on their site to send them enhancement and suggestions. They respond back and say they will share with the appropriate teams. I've already come up with several software items I wish they would fix/update and have submitted them to try to get them to out in on their to do list. If you're interested in having either of these as well then be sure to send them feedback:

-Easier way to change regen levels (a shortcut button on home screen or have it tied to a profile... it's currently not tied to profiles). Currently you have to dive into settings which is super annoying because I love regen but my spouse hates the feeling of high regen so we're always changing between the 2 modes on our Bolt, which is easy on that car, but on the Volvo you gotta dig into settings which is annoying... especially when we share just 1 car and so every time the other person gets in to drive they have to go change the setting.

-Reverse camera to show the 360 view in the top half of screen when reversing. This would be way more useful than just a static top down image of the car with sensor indicators. My Chevy Bolt displays both the 360 view and the backup cam side by side and it's super useful. With the Volvo you have to manually tap to switch between these views which is a big step backwards for me and shame that the Bolt does it and the Volvo can't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I wasn't as lucky. Emailed Volvo and got this: "Your Recharge is still scheduled to go into production by the end of this month. I will follow up once we have received the VIN and are preparing to ship it." I had been told it was scheduled to go into production in late January. Ordered 10/20 --- which seems to be a popular date.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wasn't as lucky. Emailed Volvo and got this: "Your Recharge is still scheduled to go into production by the end of this month. I will follow up once we have received the VIN and are preparing to ship it." I had been told it was scheduled to go into production in late January. Ordered 10/20 --- which seems to be a popular date.
Consider it an opportunity to explore other vehicles and get lease pricing from your dealer (which I'm hoping everyone will share here so we can compare). Given the XC40 price and range, it's worth taking some time to work the numbers, go see or drive a Mach E, ID4, or watch Hyundai's announcement next month for the Ioniq 5 which looks to be pretty promising. I'm happy my XC40 is taking long so I can weigh my options. I'm just not sure I can live with 180 or less real world miles range on a $50k+ vehicle that also has a pretty poor charge curve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Consider it an opportunity to explore other vehicles and get lease pricing from your dealer (which I'm hoping everyone will share here so we can compare). Given the XC40 price and range, it's worth taking some time to work the numbers, go see or drive a Mach E, ID4, or watch Hyundai's announcement next month for the Ioniq 5 which looks to be pretty promising. I'm happy my XC40 is taking long so I can weigh my options. I'm just not sure I can live with 180 or less real world miles range on a $50k+ vehicle that also has a pretty poor charge curve.
Just worry about Hyundai's one. Their EV had more than 10 fire event while charging. But still they didn't fix it. It looks they couldn't able to find it's root cause yet.
So they are out of my list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just worry about Hyundai's one. Their EV had more than 10 fire event while charging. But still they didn't fix it. It looks they couldn't able to find it's root cause yet.
So they are out of my list.
Was just walking my dog and neighbors have a brand new Recharge P8 in their driveway! Just had a long conversation with the woman who owns it, she just got it today. She said they were at my local Volvo dealership last weekend in San Diego and test drove it and apparently the dealer had 2 in stock and decided to release one of them for sale, so they called her and she went down there today and signed the papers for it and took it home. She leased it which is smart, said her pmt is around $600 but I forgot to ask her how much she put down. What bums me out is it has all of the exact same options as the one I ordered 3 months ago, and she just grabbed it on a whim! And here I am still waiting at least a few more weeks or more for mine to come on a boat. She said it drives really well and it's very quiet and comfortable and so far she likes it but has only had it for today.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Numerous dealerships here in New England seem to have XC40 BEVs in stock now.
And lots more YouTube video reviews seem to be going up, as of the past month.
So it's coming out now. Nobody on this forum has one yet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Numerous dealerships here in New England seem to have XC40 BEVs in stock now.
And lots more YouTube video reviews seem to be going up, as of the past month.
So it's coming out now. Nobody on this forum has one yet?
Nope, just my neighbor in the previous post that I put up with the picture. She got hers right from a dealer who already started selling them off the lot...she never ordered one or anything. She said she likes it ok so far for the quiet interior but her biggest frustrations are 1) Not having a mileage range number on the screen... Volvo only gives a percentage, not a number of miles remaining, unless you get very low on range then it changes to a number. She said this is confusing and frustrating when she runs errands cuz she has no idea how much range she has left when it just says "56%" on the screen. And 2) She likes the 360 camera view for parking in small spaces but since it only comes up on demand when you press the button for it, and disappears when you put the car in reverse (in reverse you only get the backup cam, not the 360 view), when she has to go back and forth from reverse to drive to turn into a small spot or park, she loses the 360 cam anytime reverse is engaged so she has to keep hitting the button again to get it back, all while trying to park, and it's frustrating.

Also, unfortunately I cancelled my order today because 1) I'm saddened by the inefficiency and range, and 2) my local dealer has given a very bad first impression and has been difficult to work with, and I still haven't had any opportunity to test drive or assess the vehicle in person to make sure it will work for our lives because they won't make any covid related accommodations for me... they're pretending like there's no pandemic over there. And the Volvo rep from corporate told me that the car i ordered is now en route on a ship, and if I want my deposit back I have to request it before the car arrives at the dealership...so basically I only have less than a week before I lose the deposit if I back out, so I cancelled my order today. I will still consider the car but will just wait until I have a chance to really look at it close up and drive it at a dealership that takes the pandemic seriously, and see what real world range reviews look like. I also want to compare it with the Mach E which is arriving at my local dealers in 1-2 weeks...and my local Ford dealer was very accommodating to my needs regarding the pandemic (touchless interaction, test drive, paperwork etc) so I want to wait until I can see one of those in person, and I can't do that if I don't cancel my XC40 order.

P.S I recommend following the YouTube channel InsideEVs as they will be posting an XC40 Recharge range review in the next couple weeks ...a thorough real world range test, so we can all have a better sense of how the vehicle fares. One of the hosts told me on Instagram yesterday they their initial impressions are that it is "horribly inefficient" but will have more details and data in their video later on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope, just my neighbor in the previous post that I put up with the picture. She got hers right from a dealer who already started selling them off the lot...she never ordered one or anything. She said she likes it ok so far for the quiet interior but her biggest frustrations are 1) Not having a mileage range number on the screen... Volvo only gives a percentage, not a number of miles remaining, unless you get very low on range then it changes to a number. She said this is confusing and frustrating when she runs errands cuz she has no idea how much range she has left when it just says "56%" on the screen. And 2) She likes the 360 camera view for parking in small spaces but since it only comes up on demand when you press the button for it, and disappears when you put the car in reverse (in reverse you only get the backup cam, not the 360 view), when she has to go back and forth from reverse to drive to turn into a small spot or park, she loses the 360 cam anytime reverse is engaged so she has to keep hitting the button again to get it back, all while trying to park, and it's frustrating.

Also, unfortunately I cancelled my order today because 1) I'm saddened by the inefficiency and range, and 2) my local dealer has given a very bad first impression and has been difficult to work with, and I still haven't had any opportunity to test drive or assess the vehicle in person to make sure it will work for our lives because they won't make any covid related accommodations for me... they're pretending like there's no pandemic over there. And the Volvo rep from corporate told me that the car i ordered is now en route on a ship, and if I want my deposit back I have to request it before the car arrives at the dealership...so basically I only have less than a week before I lose the deposit if I back out, so I cancelled my order today. I will still consider the car but will just wait until I have a chance to really look at it close up and drive it at a dealership that takes the pandemic seriously, and see what real world range reviews look like. I also want to compare it with the Mach E which is arriving at my local dealers in 1-2 weeks...and my local Ford dealer was very accommodating to my needs regarding the pandemic (touchless interaction, test drive, paperwork etc) so I want to wait until I can see one of those in person, and I can't do that if I don't cancel my XC40 order.

P.S I recommend following the YouTube channel InsideEVs as they will be posting an XC40 Recharge range review in the next couple weeks ...a thorough real world range test, so we can all have a better sense of how the vehicle fares. One of the hosts told me on Instagram yesterday they their initial impressions are that it is "horribly inefficient" but will have more details and data in their video later on.
I can relate about the range. For whatever reason, Volvo is among the very worst (if not THE very worst) automaker in terms of how many miles they can get out of a kWh in a battery pack -- whether their pathetic PHEVs or now their BEVs (and the Polestar EV series appears the same, so Volvo = Polestar when it comes to battery tech). I have bought two other brands' PHEVs in the last 3 years largely for this very reason, despite my having owned Volvo wagons continuously since 1985; we have the new Toyota RAV4 Prime, which blows all Volvo PHEVs out of the water in terms of range, getting roughly twice as many miles/kWh as the Volvo T8s do. So no surprise about the XC40 P8 range.

That said, I've been following closely all the new BEVs (and PHEVs) the last few years (including on InsideEVs and GreenCarReports, and on YouTube, etc.), and of the two dozen BEVs available for purchase in 2021, the XC40 is at the top of my list in terms of exterior and interior appearance and utility and cost. I don't like the "glued-on" infotainment screens present in the Polestar 2, Mach-E, and Tesla Model 3/Y, so I won't even consider those seriously to purchase; I won't consider a car without a decent instrument panel behind the steering wheel; I won't consider a car with electronic door handles; and I prefer cars that have more buttons/dials (not putting all climate and audio into infotainment screens, which is dangerous while driving, not to mention frustrating and lacking the ease of use that typical buttons/dials give). The Polestar 2 loses out to me because of the infotainment screen and the low ground clearance; otherwise it's a beautiful car. In my careful ranking of features like screens and doors, only the E-Tron and Kia Niro compare closely with the XC40 in my grading, but I don't like the looks of either of those vehicles and don't care to buy Audi or Kia. The Bolt grades somewhat high in my scheme, but it's an ugly, tiny car; the Taycan also grades somewhat high, but it's the most expensive BEV currently on the market and it's very impractical in terms of cargo space and ground clearance. I find it interesting that the Model X and S have nicely embedded screens and instrument panels, but the Model 3 and Y have neither.

If I had to buy a BEV today (and I don't), it would probably be the XC40, simply because 150-200 miles of range is fine for me. Why? Because I will not buy a BEV with plans of going on road trips; it'll be a daily commuter close to home, and I'll only be charging in my garage at home every night. So for me, it doesn't matter if a BEV has 400 miles or 200 miles of range, because I am not ready to deal with the **** of charging at public stations -- which I have read extensively about (and seen plenty of horror-filled YouTube videos). BEVs are really good local commuting vehicles -- way better than ICEVs. The average person drives only 29 miles per day in the USA, and for the majority of those people, BEVs are perfect if they can charge at home -- especially if they can also keep an ICEV or PHEV in their stable (as we can) for longer road trips. My understanding is that most BEV owners also own at least one other vehicle with an ICE in it, and very few BEV owners do long road trips in their BEVs (yes, you hear from the gung-ho BEV owners who relish on doing road trips with public charging, but they are in the small minority of BEV owners); this will change, of course, in the next decade or two, as public-charging infrastructure (and battery tech and charging times) improve, but we aren't there yet. So the range of the XC40 is ok for me and not a deal breaker, as a great local commuting car. But that doesn't excuse Volvo for their horrendous battery technology that lags almost every other automaker.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts