Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from my local dealer today that the expected delivery window for my 2021 EV is Feb. 16 - March 16. I'll be thrilled if it's at the sooner end of that range, but am not counting on it. Also, the dealer wanted to go over my configuration choices. Um, I received a confirmation email from Volvo on Oct. 22 that they had received my configuration details. Still no official word from Volvo on delivery. The communication has been hugely disappointing. Hope it's worth the wait!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I received an email from Volvo today saying that my order is "scheduled to begin production in early January." Any idea how long it takes to make the car and get it to US? I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet, though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I received an email from Volvo today saying that my order is "scheduled to begin production in early January." Any idea how long it takes to make the car and get it to US? I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet, though...
After start production, it will take 8-10 weeks to deliver to your dealer.
My production will be mid-Jan. So, I expect get it around mid-March or early-Aril

·
Registered
37 Posts
Would people who have delivery dates please mention when they placed their original orders? I am trying to gauge how long the line is (my order was in early Nov 20, right after the price was announced). Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Intriguing since Volvo had claimed they sold their entire first year production shortly after they opened preorders back in early 2020. That is, I would not have expected Oct orders to be in the first delivery period. So either they were hyping us, or a load of people canceled once the actual price was announced. Or did they mean they would build a couple dozen in 2020 (which they may have sold already in Norway/Sweden: see YouTube for early reviews from apparently real non-journalist people). I haven’t heard anything since Volvo and the local dealer confirmed my order specs, but I’ll post when I get a delivery date. Thanks all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also ordered Oct. 21, but I do not have any expected date from Volvo other than "early 2021" and that was the dealer, not Volvo. I live in California. Location may be a factor. To clarify, that's the date I configured it. The deposit was August 3. Here's the order # they gave me at that time: Order number US-0000048561 . Then on Nov. 3 I got another email confirming my "pre-order" and receipt of $1000 and gave me this order #: Order number US-0003199557 . I think I may have gotten bumped back for no reason. This is the first I noticed the change in order #.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm I hadn’t thought to specify deposit date vs config date (mine were only days apart). I am guessing the first prioritized list was deposit dates, since that seemed to be how Polestar did it. So @Rat, maybe they issue new numbers for a config’ed order that supersedes the deposit order, since you now have shown even more commitment to proceed. Anyway, hope you get a delivery date soon!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got another email from the local dealer "confirming" my order (which had already been confirmed twice) and it said my car will start production in January. It also used the original order number US-0000048561 so I guess I didn't lose my place. I don't know how long it takes to manufacture, ship, pass customs, and get transported to the west coast, assuming it arrives on the east coast. In other words, I still don't have an estimated delivery date.
There was one kicker that will upset some people. It said there was an error on the website about towing capactiy. The website said 3500 pounds, but the email says the correct capacity is 2000 pounds. I don't have any plans to tow anything, so it's no biggie for me, but that's a huge difference and could make some people change their minds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would people who have delivery dates please mention when they placed their original orders? I am trying to gauge how long the line is (my order was in early Nov 20, right after the price was announced). Thanks!
I placed my "preorder" in March 2020. On Oct. 20, 2020., I received an email saying my preorder had been placed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After start production, it will take 8-10 weeks to deliver to your dealer.
My production will be mid-Jan. So, I expect get it around mid-March or early-Aril
How long does the actual production take? That is, how much of the 8-10 weeks is production and how much is delivery time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is anyone cancelling their order b/c of reports of relatively low range? I'm think I'm keeping my order, but low range is a weak point...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is anyone cancelling their order b/c of reports of relatively low range? I'm think I'm keeping my order, but low range is a weak point...
I just posted a new thread yesterday called Pros and Cons vs competitors so take a look at that to get my perspective, but I agree the range is really disappointing. I have a 2019 Chevy Bolt now and I got an amazing deal on it brand new (13k off MSRP) so to go from a very small car pmt and more range to a bigger pmt and less range is making me meticuloualy weigh out all the pros and cons and if it's worth getting the XC40. For me it comes down to luxury, infotainment and cost. The Volvo will undoubtedly be nicer inside than my Bolt (the Bolt seats are absolutely terrible and uncomfortable for more than an hour in them), and faster, quieter and more comfortable than a Mach E or ID4 based on all early reviews. And having the Google OS, Google Maps, voice control and in general Google at your fingertips without the fuss of Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will be really nice. But I'd be downgrading in range, payment, and even some features that I love...when you put the Bolt in reverse you get both the backup cam and a top down 360 view of the car, which is amazing for parking. The Volvo only gives you the backup cam and this stupid worthless static image of the vehicle from the top down with little sensors that glow if you get close to something. It's a huge miss for Volvo, but something they could fix in software but who knows if they ever will.

Also the charging curve and peak rate on the Volvo in all early reviews is very poor and less than Volvo claims, so in a road trip or long day of driving you'll be stuck at a DC fast charger for much longer than if you have a Tesla or Etron etc.

And as someone who works in software I can tell you NEVER buy a product for what it might have or could have or is promised by the manufacturer, because those things may never come. You have to buy a product for what it has NOW and be ok if it never gets the improvements you want.

So with all that said it's really going to come down to cost for a lease. This is the kind of vehicle one should NEVER purchase outright, for 2 reasons:
1) The resale value will be awful. Between the high price and low range and slow charging, and the many new EVs coming out in the next year or two, the desire for anyone to buy this used will be very low and used prices will be terrible. You'll lose a lot of money reselling this at pretty much any time in the future.
2) Even if you keep this vehicle for many years, battery degradation will only decrease the range over time and in 5 years you'll likely have only 150 miles of total range or less. That's just not worth it for the MSRP of this vehicle.

So I'm waiting patiently for my Volvo dealer to contact me with details about the Recharge I ordered, and give me full details on a 2 and 3 year lease. If I don't like the numbers then I will decline delivery. One bet I'm willing to make is that demand will be low enough that they may offer additional incentives, or I will be able to negotiate with my dealer on the lease terms if I threaten to walk away. They may also wind up with a few Recharges on the lot from declined orders, and will offer incentives or sell those at a lower price and I can pay even less in a few months if I'm just patient and see how sales go. Since I'm not in a hurry and not 100% tied to the car, I have more power than the dealer and will just do what's in my best interest. I can just keep my Bolt and assess other EVs as the year goes on. I'll test drive the Mach E, and see what the new Audi Q5 etron looks like when it debuts later this year, as well as the ID4 and Nissan Ariya. I'll be sad to not have Google OS or the safety of a Volvo but it's just not worth it if the lease isn't good enough. So we'll see what the next couple months bring but I'll definitely post my experience on this forum as it happens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm disappointed with how the range compares to others, but realistically, I will seldom drive more than 200 miles in one trip. I'm wondering if there will be someway to retrofit it later for greater range?
I do think Volva has been delusional with its price vis-a-vis range. And I fear the low range will affect resale/trade-in price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess it's time to decide. I just got an email from Volvo saying that they just finished production of my car, gave the VIN, and that it's on the docks ready to ship across the pond.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess it's time to decide. I just got an email from Volvo saying that they just finished production of my car, gave the VIN, and that it's on the docks ready to ship across the pond.
I just got the same email too. Although I had a terrible first experience with my local Volvo dealership today which really put me off. Even though I made an appt, they appeared to not have a clue I was coming. They promised me I could test drive the vehicle without anyone else in it, but when I got there they insisted they needed to accompany me. As a high risk person I'm not getting in the car with a stranger, especially this sales rep who couldn't be bothered to even put his mask over his **** nose. I refused to test drive it if they wouldn't let me go alone, and left the dealership. I sent an email to the general sales manager just now and if he can't accommodate my needs I'm not buying the vehicle. They're the only dealer in town and I don't have the time or patience to deal with that kind of nonsense these days.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts