Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier today about a front seat belt problem. The other issues with my new xc40 is excessive fuel consumption.
I do both highway and City driving and the tank empties in 2-3 days. I've never used so much gas with any car (prior Audi Q5.
How much is this tank supposed to hold? Also, does anyone notice the gas gauge fluctuating from something like 200 to 160 miles left in just 2-3 miles.
I'm hoping I don't have a "lemon" car and these two issues are resolvable or understandable?
Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Driving "days per tank" does not mean anything. The car takes 14 gallons. How many miles are you driving? What is your driving stile? It has a turbo engine, if you drive it hard it will use gas. The range to empty is the average of your current consumption. If you drive in town it will go down faster, if you drive uphill it will go down faster, if you drive downhill it will increase.

For mixed driving you should get around 23 mpg. Next time, you fill up, devide the miles driven by the gallons and see what it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driving "days per tank" does not mean anything. The car takes 14 gallons. How many miles are you driving? What is your driving stile? It has a turbo engine, if you drive it hard it will use gas. The range to empty is the average of your current consumption. If you drive in town it will go down faster, if you drive uphill it will go down faster, if you drive downhill it will increase.

For mixed driving you should get around 23 mpg. Next time, you fill up, devide the miles driven by the gallons and see what it is.
Thank you. I've been getting 19-20 max no matter where but thank you but the advice. I still do think this particular
car has some kind of fuel problem but it's in the service center being evaluated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The fuel tank on the XC40 is not very big. In city/ mixed we are getting about 23 mpg - on the highway usually between 29-31mpg staying around 70mph. Mileage improved after about 5K miles on the car.

·
131 Posts
There are other threads on fuel economy. I’m getting about 24 mpg with mixed driving including quite a bit of highway, and I’m a fairly gentle driver with an old dog in back these days. It’s a little disappointing. The estimated range is truly just an estimate. It will fluctuate considerably based on current conditions. If you get off the highway and begin stop and go city driving, your instant consumption will increase and bring the estimated range way down, for example. This is true of all cars I’ve driven with such a range estimate display.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. I've been getting 19-20 max no matter where but thank you but the advice. I still do think this particular
car has some kind of fuel problem but it's in the service center being evaluated.
I was dismayed by the 14-gallon tank, and I thought initially that I was using more guess than my previous vehicle. However, 13000 miles later, I am averaging 27 miles per gallon with a mix of highway and street driving. I drive in Comfort mode. I have no idea what my mileage would be using Dynamic or ECO mode. I trust that ECO mode would also improve mileage. But if I interpreted the manual correctly, in summer months, ECO mode also regulates the Climate controls. I live in Oklahoma, so it that is true I would not want to use that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was dismayed by the 14-gallon tank, and I thought initially that I was using more guess than my previous vehicle. However, 13000 miles later, I am averaging 27 miles per gallon with a mix of highway and street driving. I drive in Comfort mode. I have no idea what my mileage would be using Dynamic or ECO mode. I trust that ECO mode would also improve mileage. But if I interpreted the manual correctly, in summer months, ECO mode also regulates the Climate controls. I live in Oklahoma, so it that is true I would not want to use that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only have had the car for about a month, but thus far getting 26/27 mpg (using the Volvo computer) and most of my driving is local and highway say 35-60 mph. Taking a trip to Atlanta soon so will get a better indication of freeway performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 500 mile return trip from Tucson to Los Angeles in my new T5 R-Design with Polestar I averaged 31 mpg. I was mostly in Eco mode, but my speed was mostly in the 75 to 80 range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts