Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
After almost a year of satisfied ownership and 13K miles, the check engine light came on yesterday. Used my OBDII reader to get the code:
P0442 - Powertrain
Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Called the Volvo dealer and left a message, seems this is a more common problem...
This could be as simple as the gas cap not sealing completely or left loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, wanted to say hello... and report orange check engine icon...after 279 miles. Going to the service department on Wednesday...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, wanted to say hello... and report orange check engine icon...after 279 miles. Going to the service department on Wednesday...
What was the outcome? I just purchased XC40 with 19K miles and was driving home from dealership and the dreaded check engine light came on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All:

I have had my XC40 since April 2018. I ordered it in January and very excited for the car. I've had two issues thus far and I'm curious if anyone else has.

1. Check engine Light (Orange) for Evap System

- This was from a sensor and they stated it was for the emissions system. The lady informed me there was a similar issue with the XC90's when they first came out and that they eventually added something in the gas tank to make sure when filling the tank emissions couldn't get in.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Brakes are squeaking already

- I use my car for commuting, and don't really speed that much. I'm pretty easy on the brakes. I have used the semi-pilot system regularly and noticed that it sometimes overcorrects with the braking. She stated they tested the brakes and didn't "notice anything". The answer got sketchy when she said that "Volvo hasn't released a bulletin about brakes, and because they haven't they couldn't do anything" This led me to believe there may be something more to the braking issue, but it hasn't been reported yet.

Has anyone else had this issue with brakes squeaking? Any thoughts on what the issue may be?

I'm very happy with my purchase, and know its a new model. I do feel its important to see if other people have similar problems, so we as early adopters don't get stuck paying for brakes or emissions issues, because we are the first to purchase it.

I'm also have the report that the technician ran. In case any volvo technicians are out there and want to look at the results. The forum won't let me upload it because the file size is too big. Feel free to message me and I can send it directly.

Thanks in advance for any commentary
I love the car but like you, I’ve had many issues. The check engine light has come on about 10 times and they keep telling me
It’s a. Emissions issue but yet they can’t solve it? The breaks had to be changed 8 moths after my purchase due to excessive Squeaking. The sunroof vibrates when closing, that also had to be addressed but the solution was worse the the problem. After repairs the roof rattles over bumps. My lift gate motor also had to be replaced after the lid would not close after a shopping trip at target had to drive the car to the service right away. This car has been the best and worst car I’ve ever owned! Volvo did offer a months refund but I think they should do more. My lease is up soon but I can’t see myself getting into another Volvo. They just can’t play with the big boys of luxury, in my opinion.
-Ricardo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Breaks? Do you mean Brakes?
Oh and an update. On July 26 the car left me stranded. The instrument cluster went crazy with alerts, from transmission to ABS. The would not move and it had to be towed away :-(. The car is still in the shop! First and last Volvo, unless I just happen to have gotten a lemon.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts